Keto supper suggestions

AlieE

Hello, I’m new to the diabetic keto diet and I’m struggling to stick to it. One meal in particular SUPPER. Religiously at 9pm each night my house sit down to supper. Yum. Before this pesky prediabetic diagnosis it was something like toast, chocolate, crumpet something like that. I can’t find any suggestions for a keto supper. I don’t want meat, eggs or cheese before bed. Any suggestions?? I love this snack before bed without it I’m hungry and can’t settle coz all I can think about is food when I’m trying to sleep. Suggestions would be very welcomed

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’m new to the diabetic keto diet and I’m struggling to stick to it. One meal in particular SUPPER. Religiously at 9pm each night my house sit down to supper. Yum. Before this pesky prediabetic diagnosis it was something like toast, chocolate, crumpet something like that. I can’t find any suggestions for a keto supper. I don’t want meat, eggs or cheese before bed. Any suggestions?? I love this snack before bed without it I’m hungry and can’t settle coz all I can think about is food when I’m trying to sleep. Suggestions would be very welcomed

Can't you just delay your main meal until then?
Or fill up on fats during the main meal and you shouldn't need anything extra.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like baking?

AlieE

Can't you just delay your main meal until then?
Or fill up on fats during the main meal and you shouldn't need anything extra.

Ooh no I can’t wait til 9pm for my tea that’s too late. All 13st of me would be waisting away and I’d turn into the hangry monster from the Welsh lagoon lol… it’s not so much about needing anything extra I’m not a slim lady and missing a meal would not do me any harm it’s just that I’ve had a 9pm supper my whole adult life and it’s something I enjoy. Even my dog has an internal 9pm clock and reminds me to get supper every night without fail lol… not that I would forget :0). My question is about how I can make Keto fit me and my lifestyle so I cut down on the cheating and I don’t miss out when the family are happily munching on supper.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I like baking, I’m not a master baker and had a few disaster microwave cakes since starting keto but I make a mean scone.
Great I will post you a couple of recipes tomorrow one similar to a scone, one similar to a muffin Would make a great supper Low carb, I am type 1 and can eat either of these no problem

Madisons

Struggling with hunger all the time! Pre-diabetic and missing all the carbs I used to eat, from quinoa, oats, gluten-free breads and pasta and loads of fruit! I can't eat too many eggs or red meat, just fish and chicken, just 1 slice of daily low-carb bread. Been eating mushrooms, veggies, nuts and greek yogurt with coconut oil, and some berries. I am hangry and miserable with T1 just lurking around the corner I'm sure (mom is T1 from early on with heart attack from age 50) so got the gene...I am terrified. Don't even know what to eat anymore, basically scared to. Got hypothyroidsm as well, so can't go crazy on the healthy greens like kale, collards, broccoli, spinach, etc... I feel defeated, like there is nothing I can eat without affecting another organ. What a mess.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe make a jelly of some kind - I buy gelatine as the sugar free jellies are too sweet for me now. I make a fairly strong jelly and when it has cooled I add in flavour and colour, first from little bottles, but then I might add cream or yoghurt, or coconut milk, and then fruit, some pureed and some whole, either all one type of berry or a mixture. I have tried powdered cacao and coconut flour with the coconut milk, and mint flavour with cream and powdered dark chocolate.
My thyroid doesn't work, and I have been taking Thyroxine for ages - I have never been advised to avoid particular foods. Well - it didn't work - I have been advised to reduce my supplement twice now, so perhaps it is recovering a little - even with my intake of green veges.

M

Member496333

Keto diet is best suited to one or two large meals per day and no snacking. I’m gonna give you some tough love and ask if your tradition of supper before bed is more important to you than managing diabetes? If it is then of course that’s fine, but if it isn’t then my only advice would be to eat more at your main meals and definitely don’t eat just before bed.

I know habits can be hard to break but snacking is one of the worst things you can do for your metabolism, especially just before sleeping. All that aside, how about tinned mackerel fillets in a bowl with pitted olives all drowned in extra virgin olive oil and plenty of salt. Super easy to prepare and a nice mix of fat and protein. Personally I still wouldn’t do it but that’s just me.

Reactions: cynetique

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know exactly how you feel. If I go to bed hungry then I cannot sleep. M&S do Super Seed Crackers, Sunflower, Sesame, and Linseed. Someone tried them and recommended them on this site. Apparently they are very low in carbs. Perhaps you could have three or four of these spread with butter (they are small) and a topping of your choice.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, it's not up to any of us to lecture you when your mind is made up so I would suggest maybe a couple of squares of dark chocolate?, it takes some getting used to but I now buy the 75% Lindt chocolate (mint flavour) and a square or two hits the spot, very rich and smooth. Or maybe make up a low carb hot chocolate, melt the dark choc squares and add cream, pour into a small cup to avoid extra carbs. Also what about a small pork pie (individual size), they have around 10 carbs in. By following keto recipes you could easily bake a little pot of chocolate spongy type things with very few carbs in but they still taste decadent. x

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I like baking, I’m not a master baker and had a few disaster microwave cakes since starting keto but I make a mean scone.
Hello
This recipe I adapted from something similar and have made for the last 3 years. Even my non diabetic friends like it, obviously not cake though but they like it and it’s low carb. I refer to this as my ‘scone’ recipe

oven 160 degrees
200g ground almonds
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon honey or agave
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
30g coconut oil
5 eggs

place all dry ingredients in a blender or bowl, mix
Lightly beat eggs and add all other ingredients Blitz in blender for a minute until combined
If you don’t have a blender just make sure the eggs are beaten before adding to the dry ingredients and mix everything until well combined.
Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil or a Bundt tin looks lovely when baked.
Cook at 160 for 35-45 mins depending on your oven Should be golden on outside when turned out and just cooked in the middle, use a skewer to check, if you over bake will be a bit dry. Lovely hot or cold with cream or creme fraiche
Tried to upload photo for you but file size too big. From the ingredients I use I worked out a 53g slice is 3.6g carbs and 202 Kcals

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
This recipe I adapted from something similar and have made for the last 3 years. Even my non diabetic friends like it, obviously not cake though but they like it and it’s low carb. I refer to this as my ‘scone’ recipe

oven 160 degrees
200g ground almonds
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1 tsp sea salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon honey or agave
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
30g coconut oil
5 eggs

place all dry ingredients in a blender or bowl, mix
Lightly beat eggs and add all other ingredients Blitz in blender for a minute until combined
If you don’t have a blender just make sure the eggs are beaten before adding to the dry ingredients and mix everything until well combined.
Grease a loaf tin with coconut oil or a Bundt tin looks lovely when baked.
Cook at 160 for 35-45 mins depending on your oven Should be golden on outside when turned out and just cooked in the middle, use a skewer to check, if you over bake will be a bit dry. Lovely hot or cold with cream or creme fraiche
Tried to upload photo for you but file size too big. From the ingredients I use I worked out a 53g slice is 3.6g carbs and 202 Kcals
I have a fan oven and usually takes 25 minutes in a Bundt tin, longer in a loaf tin at 160 degrees

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They sound perfect love a muffin an ideal supper snack thank you
Berry muffin

Beat 3 large eggs with 100g ground almonds,
beat in 50g of one of the following coconut milk or creme fraiche 25g mixed with half water 25g or cream 25g and water 25g. All 3 options I have tried.
Mix in half tablespoon of coconut flour
Spoon into fairy cake/muffin paper cases Makes 10-12
Add 2/3 raspberries or blueberries to each paper case, push into the mixture
Bake at 180 degrees fan for 15-20 mins Keep an eye
Delicious hot, pop in fridge when cool keeps 3 days
About 3.5/4g carbs each and 100 Kcals depending on exact ingredients you use
Lovely with a spoon of creme fraiche
I buy frozen blueberries and take a handful out 15 mins before baking. The blueberries split when in the oven and the juice is incorporated into the muffin as it bakes, these are my favourite.
This is also very quick to make.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They sound perfect love a muffin an ideal supper snack thank you
I also made the dark choc chip low carb hot cross bun from this site Came out great and delicious Have a look in the recipes I cannot eat anything with wheat flour but a small bag of coconut flour goes a long way and is a great substitute which means you can bake more

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I also made the dark choc chip low carb hot cross bun from this site Came out great and delicious Have a look in the recipes I cannot eat anything with wheat flour but a small bag of coconut flour goes a long way and is a great substitute which means you can bake more
What site are the recipes from they sound great

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have my yogurt with fresh berries as 'supper', and a square or two of dark chocolate such as 85% lindt.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.