Slow release metformin advice

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have just been moved to 2x 750 slow release metformin a day from 2x 850 IR metformin, I was taking one tablet at breakfast and one at teatime. My BG is controlled - my last test was 45. Can anyone advise whether to keep my slow release at these times or is it better to take them both together at tea time. The doctor didn't seem to know either way.
Thanks.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
That's odd that your doc prescribed you medication but doesn't know how you should take it ? I would still take them morning and evening with food personally.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See above. The only advice I was ever given was to take them with food. I can't see anything wrong with what you are doing now.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The leaflet should guide you. With SR I think you will find timing isn't very critical and my leaflet says you can split during the day or not. I split my full 2000gm dose as it seems to make sense and that's what my prescription says but the leaflet allows the dose to be taken at one go.

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replies. I think splitting the dose makes more sense I just wondered why the leaflet says take in 1 dose.I'll split them and watch my levels. :)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've just started on slow release Metformin 2 x 500mg twice a day. Ordinary metformin had me running (and I mean running) to the loo, hopefully these will sort that out!

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just started on slow release Metformin 2 x 500mg twice a day. Ordinary metformin had me running (and I mean running) to the loo, hopefully these will sort that out!
Exactly my problem :( I hope it works for you :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had mine changed from 2 x 500 ordinary to 1 x 500 modified release. Is MR the same as SR? Hope I don't have any side effects as the original ones were fine for me after the first week.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just had mine changed from 2 x 500 ordinary to 1 x 500 modified release. Is MR the same as SR? Hope I don't have any side effects as the original ones were fine for me after the first week.

Yes -slow release and modified release are the same as far as I know. Are you taking them in 2 separate doses?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested in this too!

I've recently gone over to the SR version too - first batch was Bolamyn SR2x500mg. Both the leaflet and the pharmacist/doctors instructions say to take both tablets with or after my evening meal. (Previously 1x500mg 3 times a day with meals).

This time round they've given me Metabet SR - (our pharmacy seems to change brands on some prescriptions depending on which way the wind's blowing!! :confused::confused:) - and the pharmacy label also gives the same instructions as before, but the manufacturers leaflet says additionally that the doctor may recommend that you take the tablet twice a day.

It would seem to me that it was more logical to take them twice a day, as at the moment I'm going down to a much lower reading 3-4 hours after my evening meal, and then have gone up again the next morning and stay that way most of the day... I'm going to ask for clarification when I get to see the practive diabetic doctor in June - first appointment with him instead of my usual GP.

Robbity

jojo7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm interested in this too!

I've recently gone over to the SR version too - first batch was Bolamyn SR2x500mg. Both the leaflet and the pharmacist/doctors instructions say to take both tablets with or after my evening meal. (Previously 1x500mg 3 times a day with meals).

This time round they've given me Metabet SR - (our pharmacy seems to change brands on some prescriptions depending on which way the wind's blowing!! :confused::confused:) - and the pharmacy label also gives the same instructions as before, but the manufacturers leaflet says additionally that the doctor may recommend that you take the tablet twice a day.

It would seem to me that it was more logical to take them twice a day, as at the moment I'm going down to a much lower reading 3-4 hours after my evening meal, and then have gone up again the next morning and stay that way most of the day... I'm going to ask for clarification when I get to see the practive diabetic doctor in June - first appointment with him instead of my usual GP.

Robbity

I have been put on Glucophage - dont know if there is much difference between the brands. I would be interested to hear what the doctor suggests in June. My morning readings are still 7-8 but maybe it takes time to level out after a change in meds.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes -slow release and modified release are the same as far as I know. Are you taking them in 2 separate doses?
The original metformin was 2 doses. 1 with breakfast and the other with the evening meal (my lunch time dose was stopped in March). Now I've been reduced to 1 dose of the slow release 50mg a day. I take it with my evening meal.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlmoak

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on this drug since it was introduced (at which time it was called glucophage - merformin is the generic name). I am on 2 gr. of extended release and my doctor recommended I take all of it with my evening meal. When I was on the regular release tablets, I took them at breakfast and at dinner. I would just ask your doctor when he wants you to take it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was taking slow release metformin my endocrinologist told me it is more efficient after the midday meal if taking one, because your sleep pattern should see your blood levels ok till then if your diet is good. If you take two, 1 after midday meal and 1 after evening meal.

LILAC. Life I love against carbohydrates.

Reactions: 4 people

Jenny105

Hi Im a newbie. I couldn't take Metformin in the usual form, I take Metformin slow release. 1000mg. At present I take 500mg twice a day. But the nurse says its OK to take once a day. I went out for spontaneous meal today (lunch) and didn't have a tablet with me. For me once a day would be good . I'll check with my pharmacist .