newby

jayney

any ideas on savory snacks between meals, its not often i want them but struggle a bit between 11am and 1pm and then between 3pm and 6pm dinner time. Thanx

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
How about a couple of oat cakes or ryvita with houmous, olives, handful of nuts (almonds or walnuts are good)

:wave:

jayney

evening everyone bit worried tonight i only had an apple and 2 shredded wheat for lunch and have been sipping some diet coke mybloods were 9.5 is it the coke.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
2 shreaded wheat and an apple.

2 Shreaded Wheat = 40g of Carbs
2 cups of semi-skimmed milk = 20g of carbs
1 medium apple = 25g of carbs

85g of carbs in a single meal would probably spike most T2s. That's more that I eat in a day...

You are doing the right thing by testing, now you know that shreaded wheat are probably not for you.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,
Depending on the size of the apple the carbs will vary.

http://www.diabetesnet.com/food-diabete ... -challenge

The shredded wheat are quite carby too. I think an average portion is getting on for 40g.
There is nothing to offset the amount of carbs in your meal like some protein or some good fats to slow down the digestion so the carbs will be absorbed quickly. The whole meal is high in carbs.

What you also have to bear in mind is that whilst these foods may spike you, they may be perfectly alright for someone else. If there was a blueprint then we could all eat the same things and it would be so easy. 8) You need to keep a food diary and try and see a pattern emerging when you eat so that you can eliminate or have smaller portions of the things that cause a spike and make sure that your meals are balanced.

Grazer

Another thing; what was your BG BEFORE you ate? Was it already high before, in which case the RISE in sugar may not have been too much. In the early days, it helps to test just before you eat as well as 2 hours after to see the difference.

A

Anonymous

borofergie said:
2 cups of semi-skimmed milk = 20g of carbs

I make 250ml of Semi Skimmed Milk (or half a pint) - 11.8g - more than enough for 2 shredded wheat.

(Source - Collins Gem Carb Counter book - £3.99 and worth every penny).

I agree that Porridge can be a bit samey, but I haven't found any cereals that are great. I don't much like Shredded Wheat so tend to have one Weetabix (about 13g as the count on the box is for 2) and add Blueberries of Blackberries to it. If you make Porridge with water instead of milk than it reduces the carbs by about 1/3rd, but you might as well eat the box.

I've found that the contents of the fridge has become a series of little bowls of things, mainly leftovers, that I can add to stuff to make mealtimes a bit more interesting.

Grazer

jayney said:
do all fruits have carbs :(

Yes, but some are better than others. Berries are the best (strawbs, raspbs, blueberries etc) and most of us find bananas the worst - high in carbs, and high GI, particularly when ripe.

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
for breakfast I usually take plain full fat Greek yogurt, with a few strawberrys and a scattering of almonds. Not as boring as porridge, and less carbs

Grazer

Jayney, there's no fixed answer. You need to find a level that you can live with and give you the right BGs. 125 grams a day would be 50% of the recommended daily intake for a woman, a moderate carb level. Why not start there, then adjust up or down until you get a good stable level of BG that you're happy with.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Jayney

You're doing fine!

Things can be a bit confusing to start with with foods you would think as good are actually bad and others you would think as bad being good.

Mashed potato is evil stuff, try boiled or better roasted! In your list of foods yesterday I would say bacon good, mash very bad, carrots and beans ok but depends on how much you ate, muller light ok but better make your own yoghurt from plain yoghurt and then mash in some frozen fruits (any with "berry" in their name are usually ok). Don't eat too much as fruits have sugar. Ryvitta's bad too many carbs to make it worth the effort try Burgen Soya bread instead but don't expect to be able to eat more than one or two slices a day.

Cheese, eggs, oily fish, smoked fish, bacon, chicken, lean mince, cheap frozen mixed veg (without sweetcorn is best I find). I find things like Pataks curry sauces and Dolmino sauce are ok so long as you only use half a jar in one go. I find I cant eat more than 25g of white rice or 25g of green or tricolor pasta in one go. Brown basmati rice I can eat up to about 50g. Potato's are a no no for me you may be lucky! If you like things like cauliflower cheese do that or cauliflower and brocilli cheese with added smoked haddock is nicer! If you're missing a fry up don't! bacon, egg and mushrooms is one of my staples and is very low in carbs so long as you don't add fried bread etc and try to fry it in a little oil as possible.

I base many of my main meals off 250g of frozen mixed veg then add meat and sauces to taste.

I've recently discovered I can eat up to around 150g of fresh fruit salad as a pudding with my main meal without any real consequences. That's made from melon, apple, pear, pineapple, raspberry's

Try and look at the labels on all the food you eat and see how much carbohydrate (not just sugar) is in each thing. To get your levels under control you will probably need to reduce your carbs considerably to start with. Everyone is different and you'll find some carbs are better than others. Many people on this forum do well on low carbs, say less than 75g in total per day others can tolerate double that if not more. The knack is to work out how much you can tolerate but if you can try starting low to "detox" yourself then when you are happy you have got to good levels start experimenting with what you can eat and tolerate.

C

catherinecherub

jayney said:
can anyone tell me a good intake of carbs daily.

Hi,
There is no blueprint and people vary as to how many carbs they can eat and their choice of foods. Someone might tell you that they eat x, y and z and you may find that when you try to copy that your levels go haywire.
Be guided by your meter and the advice that Daisy gives to newbies.
I often read what other people's diets consist of and I know that some of the things they mention would be off limits to me and I could add things that I personally can eat that they would not be able to.
It won't happen overnight but it will gradually become clearer about what is right for you. Management has to be personalised and fit into your lifestyle and take into account your food preferences. Take it slowly and keep the food diary to save wasting time and strips on retesting foods that you have tried.
Good luck.

jayney

i cant find where to print out the food diary sheet, i have printed it out before but i cant find it now PLEASE HELP i need a fresh one :?