Fiasp and basal levels

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi everyone, I've started using Fiasp today in my pump. I'm keeping a close eye on things over the weekend but have noticed that my basal levels are a lot lower than normal. My gut feeling is to reduce the basal so I stop having the lows, three today already. Or should I do something else? Any advice grateful. Thanks.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In your position, I would set up a new basal pattern which is lower than usual or set a temp basal rate. This allows you to keep your current pattern.
I have been using Fiasp for a couple of years and not found I needed to change my basal apart from making the transitions 30 minutes earlier so the total daily basal dose is no different.

Reactions: sallymac65

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
In your position, I would set up a new basal pattern which is lower than usual or set a temp basal rate. This allows you to keep your current pattern.
I have been using Fiasp for a couple of years and not found I needed to change my basal apart from making the transitions 30 minutes earlier so the total daily basal dose is no different.
Hi, thanks for tip. I've done as you suggested, we shall see what happens next. Four hypos in a day is too much for me.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might also be worth doing a basal test to get a better idea of where to lower your basal. Seem to remember I had to reduce rates when I changed from Apidra to Fiasp in my pump, but it was a while ago, so not 100% sure. Hope things settle down for you, as hypo's are horrible.

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It might also be worth doing a basal test to get a better idea of where to lower your basal. Seem to remember I had to reduce rates when I changed from Apidra to Fiasp in my pump, but it was a while ago, so not 100% sure. Hope things settle down for you, as hypo's are horrible.
Hi hopeful34, interesting about your reduced insulin when moving to Fiasp. My gut feeling is that my basal levels aren't right, hence your suggestion of basal testing. I'm using the Tandem Control IQ pump with a linked dexcom sensor, I've looked at the manuals etc but can't seem to find a way to revert the pump back to a more manual mode. I'll ask my DSN tomorrow. I don't mind the odd hypo, but four in a day is exhausting. Thanks for your support.

Reactions: Hopeful34