What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10:00 chunk of blue cheese
13:30 200g cherries stuck in a traffic jam and it was all I could reach from the supermarket shop in the boot of the car. Followed up with some prawns and another chunk of cheese when I finally got home.
Dinner: chicken leg roasted with butternut squash and courgette. 2 sqs 90%
Spending most of days listening to the talks from the Quit Sugar Summit online. Veer from thinking I've done well, to thinking I've still got a long way to go!

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Small piece of steak, two eggs for breakfast.
We had a meal out today, first time in a long tome. Meal of the day was roast pork and veggies, gravy at Brothers Sports Club bistro for dinner.
Toasted low carb ham and cheese sandwiches, orange jelly with a spoonful of two fruits, lemon / lime cordial with a scoopful of OsmoLax for supper at six.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and orange chia pudding.
Dinner: salmon and cream cheese sandwiches made with LC bread followed by greek yoghurt and LC nutty granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 put the salty liquorice ear worm into my head a couple of weeks ago, so ordered some from Amazon and they arrived yesterday from Holland.

I have to ration these out to make them last.

u2BmJlR.jpg

Reactions: Annb

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two egg and cheese omelette, one slice of middle bacon, button muchrooms for breakfast.
Small tub of chobani 15% protein greek yoghurt for smoko.
Pork chops, green veggie sand gravy, orange sugar free jelly for dinner.
Two slices of cheese on low carb toast, couple of spoonfuls of passion fruit sorbet for supper at six,

A couple of pieces of the salty liquorice later on, it certainly puts the mouth into gear. :D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started the open water sea swimming in January so the water seems positively balmy now. It’s completely exhilarating!
I havent tried the DGF cookies yet. What are they like and how big are they?
I got the cookies as well. One box in the freezer (I ate the other box not all at once !).
It's a mixed box - 2 chewy, 2 crunchy. I prefer the crunchie, although even that isn't as crunchie as a piece of shortbread or a ginger nut they're choc chip and yes, I like them as it's nice to have them for a cuppa. They're slightly bigger than a digestive. They are pricey. I regard them as nice to have if I can't be bothered making my own.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm behind again! Monday 6 September - bed 6.5 FBG 6 6.
I've had one of these "pretty much the same" weeks. It's been very humid and nice in the afternoons (apart from torrential rain yesterday - Thursday) so I only wanted cold stuff for dinner.
B usual TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with Philly.
L. Nothing
D. Cold meats - one slice each ox tongue, ham, roast beef and chicken breast. Lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado, coleslaw and corniche cove cheese. DGF cookie.

Tuesday 7 September - bed 6 6 FBG 6 3

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ox tongue and coleslaw.
L. Another DGF cookie!
D. More cold meat - roast beef , ox tongue, 6 of these mini sausage slices, Danish salami. Lettuce, tomato, 2 mini mozzarella, coleslaw, waldorf salad and one baby beet.

Wednesday 8 September - bed 6 2 FBG 6.9

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ham and Philly.
L DGF brookie
D. More salad! Fishy this time. Poached salmon, prawns in a garlic/tomato dressing, calamari, anchovies, 2 mini mozzarella, tomato, coleslaw, waldorf salad and a slice of SLC bread and butter.

I had really bad abdominal pain on Monday. It woke me up in a sweat. Tuesday I was fine then Wednesday it was back *but not as bad). A lot of the kids are going down with norovirus. Hubby got it after me. Otherwise we're fine.

We finally (after More then 6 years waiting) got a meeting with CAMHS today to help with grandson's anxiety. They're very nice and very apologetic too. I just hope we get somewhere.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Em's still not feeling very good, so I let her sleep in (she never does that, so she must be unwell) but she has come through now, bringing the big duvet off the bed with her and is now tucked up in the kitchen chair. She wanted some cherries, but I only let her have 3 - just in case they start everything up again. I've told her she must have lots to drink today and we'll steer clear of too many vegetables or fruit. We have quite a few protein things available for her. She can just pick at things. She did want to eat the chunky salad that she made to go with the chicken and cauliflower, but I think that can only be a small part of her diet today. She actually didn't eat any of the cauliflower yesterday - had plenty of chicken and cheesey mash though. I had some bits of cauliflower - very nice - but didn't bother with anything else.

Today: Breakfast was something I've wanted to try for a long time - a slice of white bread with a hole cut in the middle, fried in a little butter and an egg broken into the hole. Fairly high carbs, for me, but it didn't put BG up by much.

2nd meal: probably picking, like Em. There's chicken, ham, cheese, some cooked pork plus the salad Em made and some other veggies in boxes, ready to use.

DIL left a basket of fruit and veg that should be used this week - Braidie won't eat any of it - so I'll have to make something with that - froze some grapes, will make soup with tomatoes, red peppers and carrots and will chop up all the bits and pieces of fruit to make a fruit compote. That can go in the freezer, or down to Em's house, if her dad does get home after all. That's a possibility now - lots of staff at the Western Isles hospital either sick or isolating due to covid, so they won't be doing any non-urgent surgery.
Could Em have a mild case of norovirus? Loads of cases here but they're all affected differently.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee & a few squares of Lindt 85%
Deli Mexican wrap for lunch with some dry roasted nuts & 7up Free
Chicken Thai Curry with rice & half a Tesco naan for dinner
Cashew nuts & red wine late on

Madisons

Still new to all of this, doing low carb - not all Keto
Morning 1-hour fastwalk on mountain - lemon water
Late Breakfast (almost 11 hours fast) : chicken breasts with tarragon and mayo, side of mushroom, dandelion greens, red peppers and spinach, 2 low-carb toasts, one with Old Age cheddar, grape tomatoes and basil. Dessert: Greek yogurt with chia, pumpkin seeds tossed in coconut oil and cinnamon. Green Tea Matcha and over a dozen raspberries (YIKES!)
Exercise:. 30 minute jog on treadmill (burning that huge breakfast)
Supper out: 2 slices apple with creamy Boursin cheese and 2 crackers (6 carbs! YIKES)
Steak from the grill, fettucine zoodles, tomato and lettuce salad with feta and hard boiled eggs
Dessert: Blueberry Crumble with whipped cream (YIKES! Oats & brown sugar in the crumble)
Green Tea Matcha with coconut oil, almond milk, cinnamon and turmeric
Yes, ALOT of food and not following strict diet yet. Always starving no matter how much I'm eating and it's annoying! Lots of stress and just want to eat it all away....my tapeworm must have a tapeworm...help!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the cookies as well. One box in the freezer (I ate the other box not all at once !).
It's a mixed box - 2 chewy, 2 crunchy. I prefer the crunchie, although even that isn't as crunchie as a piece of shortbread or a ginger nut they're choc chip and yes, I like them as it's nice to have them for a cuppa. They're slightly bigger than a digestive. They are pricey. I regard them as nice to have if I can't be bothered making my own.

Thanks you, I’ll keep checking the website for availability. Good to know they’re freezable too. I agree it’s nice to have something in reserve as a bit of a treat, even if not for everyday.

Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All, still away
Yesterday brekkie was just scrambled eggs and half slice seeded toast.
Supper was three small fillets Seabass, sole and Gurnard with Med. veg, 2 glasses wine.
Brekkie today will be scrambled eggs, tomato and mushroom.
Supper booked for tonight has been cancelled by the restaurant yesterday due to you know what. No chance of getting a booking anywhere else being a Saturday so back up plan is to go back to the fishmonger and get picnic for our room this evening of dressed crab as before and seafood tapas and some wine. Its a hard life sometimes!
Heading home after brekkie tomo and then reality bites. It has been lovely though!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Could Em have a mild case of norovirus? Loads of cases here but they're all affected differently.

Perhaps so. Although she wasn't very ill, just inconvenienced. Braidie, on the other hand was pretty ill. I know the school had at least one case of covid 19 but hadn't heard of norovirus being there, or in the Nicolson. My cleaner is due to arrive within the hour, so she might know. No 2 son is still very sore, but at least he's home. Actually DIL should have got home by last night as well, so more or less back to normal now.

I've been busy making things with left-overs from the food sent up with Em - made some small pots of fruity bread and butter pudding, using a recipe from Michel Roux. It looked very tempting so I packed them up in a box and handed them over to go home with Em when her Dad took her belongings. There's some tomato and red pepper soup to go as well, but I will probably freeze it before sending it down and there's the fruit compote to go - I'll put that in a big jar to send it down.

Yesterday breakfast was yoghurt with some berries. Lunch was some chunks of Davidstowe cheddar and evening meal was cauliflower cheese with a little of the left-over cheesey mash from the day before. Very cheesey day! But BG stayed down reasonably well Maybe because I've just upped the dose of my Lantus Solostar insulin to 68 u.

Today, breakfast was a couple of tablespoons of left over custard from the bread and butter pudding with some of the remaining rhubarb, also from a few days ago. Not sure that I'll have any lunch. Evening meal will be some salmon with either spinach or a watercress salad.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday :
Breakfast/brunch omelette with prawns and smoked salmon. Nut bar.
Dinner not very hungry so just prawns and smoked salmon and 2 glasses aperol spritz.
Major migraine at bed time. That will teach me

Today
Yoghurt, seeds, handful blackberries.
Mid morning, a nut bar because everyone else was on cake.
Lunch, fritatta with everything - prawns, chicken, cheese, herbs, squash. Blackberries and raspberries with cream

Dinner is as yet undecided

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF blackcurrant jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your backup plan tonight worked out ok @PenguinMum
Can’t beat a dressed crab. The mixed fish fillet meal sounded lovely.
Today my first meal was around 10:30. A DGF roll filled with beef and salad then strawberries and extra thick cream.
Second meal at 19:30 was baked Camembert with roast cauliflower . Then choc chia pud.

I have a YouTube recipe for air fryer KFC ( including the 11 secret herbs and spices!) one of the key stages is soaking in buttermilk but the coating includes flour which I can just leave out, but I was wondering if I could use oat fibre instead? @maglil55 I know you have used it, what do you think? I’ve only just managed to get hold of some.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A small piece of rib filet steak, two eggs, button mushrooms for breakfast.
Tub of chobani 15% protein greek yoghurt, my regulatr glass of lemon cordial and scoop of OsmoLax mixed in for smoko.
Lamb fore quarter chops, veggies including a mashed up spudlites, gravy for dinner.
Tin of pea and ham soup, couple of slices of low carb toast to go with it for supper at six.

Several pieces of salty liquorice earlier on.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner ended up being 2 lamb chops with cabbage and courgette, OK so far, but then followed by a piece (quite a large piece) of the sugar laden lemon meringue pie hubby made.
Why oh why does he decide to learn to cook after 30 odd years of not bothering, and when he does why does he always choose to do the sweetest carbiest food??? Admittedly he won 1st prize at the village show with it, but it is huge and so sticky sweet.
I have a secret plan to give most of it away tomorrow under the auspices of showing the neighbours how good it was, but how do I to get him to cook stuff I can eat, or just not bother in the first place?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope your backup plan tonight worked out ok @PenguinMum
Can’t beat a dressed crab. The mixed fish fillet meal sounded lovely.
Today my first meal was around 10:30. A DGF roll filled with beef and salad then strawberries and extra thick cream.
Second meal at 19:30 was baked Camembert with roast cauliflower . Then choc chia pud.

I have a YouTube recipe for air fryer KFC ( including the 11 secret herbs and spices!) one of the key stages is soaking in buttermilk but the coating includes flour which I can just leave out, but I was wondering if I could use oat fibre instead? @maglil55 I know you have used it, what do you think? I’ve only just managed to get hold of some.
I don't have any issues with oat fibre but whether that's down to the oat fibre itself or the fact it's not enough to do damage I don't know. I do prefer it to the bamboo fibre (which I also have) and neither have produced any spikes to concern me. Hubby eats it too without complaint (mainly because he doesn't know what I mix in from my "potions cupboard" as he calls it!.

Reactions: DJC3