Is a very low carb diet healthy?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He will tell me to just eat red meat.
Have you looked at the section on here for low carb vegetarians? It's easy to be very low carb and vegetarian. I thought your point was about about going very low carb at all, not about the source of the protein. Maybe I misunderstood.

Reactions: jjraak

KidDougi

The facts, proven by proper studies, on how our bodies work, is not opinion. I recommend you look round this site for links to studies explaining carbs, how and what makes glucose, and how our bodies use it. It's fascinating, in my opinion. There is so many misunderstandings about this factual process.

As a scientist, I agree that proper research is the best source of information but I do add a word of warning. Researchers are human and can miss bits of information or come to an incorrect conclusion. Also anyone reading the full study could misunderstand the data.
Always use multiple sources and read the researchers sources too.

As individuals, if we want to fully understand a given subject we also need to become experts in that subject!!

As you say, forums are a good starting point. There are plenty of links to studies and research papers throughout this site. From there there will be links to others…

Furthermore, we are all different, what works with one of use may not work with others. So always be conscious that you may not fit the mould of a given study. Listen to your body and be ready to stop whatever you are trying if it doesn’t work for you.

KidDougi

People are now told carbs is the main fuel, once upon a time it was fats as main fuel, until told that fat was bad for people.

Looking through this site I think you will find that most are saying that fats are actually good for you. The original research that concluded that fats are bad for you was faulty and inaccurate. Current research says drop the carbs and increase the fats.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixie1

KidDougi

Without decent carb intake, the muscles should look "flat" because they need glycogen to look "pumped". How heavy is he?

To ‘pump’ a muscle you simply work it so that it becomes infused with blood. I any case, the ‘pump’ fades shortly after the workout.
The size of a muscle when not training is based muscle fibre size which comes from protein.
Body energy comes from calories. Look at any nutritional label for low, or zero, carb foods and you will see that there are still plenty of calories associated with that food.

It’s just a question of how our bodies extract that energy. Some processes are quicker or more convoluted than others, but that is the only difference.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
To ‘pump’ a muscle you simply work it so that it becomes infused with blood. I any case, the ‘pump’ fades shortly after the workout.
The size of a muscle when not training is based muscle fibre size which comes from protein.
Body energy comes from calories. Look at any nutritional label for low, or zero, carb foods and you will see that there are still plenty of calories associated with that food.

It’s just a question of how our bodies extract that energy. Some processes are quicker or more convoluted than others, but that is the only difference.

I refer to glycogen storage in muscles, not the blood pump.

Reactions: KidDougi

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I refer to glycogen storage in muscles, not the blood pump.
Doesn't exercise deplete glycogen? Glycogen storage is about 2% of a muscle by weight so I would not think it made much difference anyway.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doesn't exercise deplete glycogen? Glycogen storage is about 2% of a muscle by weight so I would not think it made much difference anyway.

It draws a lot of water with it.

Reactions: oldgreymare

KidDougi

Yes, exercising requires glycogen, so when you start your body starts to release what it has in storage to fuel your muscles. It gets these reserves from your muscles and liver, with your liver holding the bigger amount. So with a standard diet your BG levels will go up straight after the exercise.
Now, put this alongside a carb restricted diet and your reserves start to become depleted. At this point your BG levels barely move.

Below is an interesting forum where they are giving some numbers and further articles to read…

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_long_must_a_human_fast_to_deplete_liver_glycogen

Slight correction, liver hold a larger percentage per volume of liver but there is a much larger total volume of muscle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen

Last edited:

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, exercising requires glycogen, so when you start your body starts to release what it has in storage to fuel your muscles. It gets these reserves from your muscles and liver, with your liver holding the bigger amount. So with a standard diet your BG levels will go up straight after the exercise.
Now, put this alongside a carb restricted diet and your reserves start to become depleted. At this point your BG levels barely move.

Below is an interesting forum where they are giving some numbers and further articles to read…

https://www.researchgate.net/post/How_long_must_a_human_fast_to_deplete_liver_glycogen

Slight correction, liver hold a larger percentage per volume of liver but there is a much larger total volume of muscle.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen
There is a difference, muscle glycogen do not come out into the blood stream any more and hence do not affect blood glucose level. Whereas liver glycogen is a reserve, that can be draw upon into the bloodstream for other body tissues/organs when needed.

KidDougi

There is a difference, muscle glycogen do not come out into the blood stream any more and hence do not affect blood glucose level. Whereas liver glycogen is a reserve, that can be draw upon into the bloodstream for other body tissues/organs when needed.

That is an interesting technical point to consider, but the point still stands. If BG goes up during exercise than it must be because the body has released it from it’s reserves. From our prospective it makes no difference if this reserve is from the muscles or the liver.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is an interesting technical point to consider, but the point still stands. If BG goes up during exercise than it must be because the body has released it from it’s reserves. From our prospective it makes no difference if this reserve is from the muscles or the liver.

There is lots of impact based on this for better bg control wrt lean body mass. This was an important point taught when I was in uni because of this. BG during exercise is likely not that important to monitor for most patients. IMO most important will be before meal, two hours after meal and upon awakening.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So as those muscles dump their glycogen store do they not demand a refill? Which will come from blood and indirectly the liver if the blood level is insufficient, giving the potential to temporarily both drop or raise levels depending on where the replenishment comes from?

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So as those muscles dump their glycogen store do they not demand a refill? Which will come from blood and indirectly the liver if the blood level is insufficient, giving the potential to temporarily both drop or raise levels depending on where the replenishment comes from?

I do not understand what you are asking?

Skeletal muscles can store glycogen until they are filled up. Once inside the muscles, the glycogen will not affect blood glucose level. So having more lean body mass is an advantage because they act like sponge to uptake glucose to increase insulin sensitivity. Glycogen in the liver although they can uptake glucose, on the other hand, serve as a reserve "battery" for the body to release glucose into the blood stream when needed. When the metabolism of a person is not ideal, the liver can release glucose into the bloodstream to increase bg that is already high to elevate it further. This I suspect is either because the liver has stored too much glycogen already or the glucose control feedback system is not functioning properly, or both.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not understand what you are asking?

Skeletal muscles can store glycogen until they are filled up. Once inside the muscles, the glycogen will not affect blood glucose level. So having more lean body mass is an advantage because they act like sponge to uptake glucose to increase insulin sensitivity. Glycogen in the liver although they can uptake glucose, on the other hand, serve as a reserve "battery" for the body to release glucose into the blood stream when needed. When the metabolism of a person is not ideal, the liver can release glucose into the bloodstream to increase bg that is already high to elevate it further. This I suspect is either because the liver has stored too much glycogen already or the glucose control feedback system is not functioning properly, or both.
Yes I agreed already with your explanation of how muscles are beneficial.

My point (with a rogue question mark at the end??) was once the muscles have used their stored glycogen, without effecting bgl at that point, then need to refill their stores. They will draw this from the blood - lowering bgl. If the blood then has a lower than typical level it will result in a liver dump of glucose into the blood - raising levels. So exercise and the use of muscles can temporarily both raise and lower bgl depending on the amount of glucose/glycogen required.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes I agreed already with your explanation of how muscles are beneficial.

My point (with a rogue question mark at the end??) was once the muscles have used their stored glycogen, without effecting bgl at that point, then need to refill their stores. They will draw this from the blood - lowering bgl. If the blood then has a lower than typical level it will result in a liver dump of glucose into the blood - raising levels. So exercise and the use of muscles can temporarily both raise and lower bgl depending on the amount of glucose/glycogen required.

I will first focus on getting these three readings, 1) the upon awaken, 2) before meal and 3) two hours after first bite readings within safe range. This is achieved by adjusting carb intake to be in balance with the activity level. I think the liver dump like dawn syndrome and during exercise (I am not familiar with this), will be worsen if the glycogen storage in the liver is stretched. This is where a low carb intake will help and the three readings I have mentioned will give a good indication on how well the body is coping. Skeletal muscles that are hungry for glycogen will mop up excessive glucose in the blood very quickly should the liver release its reserves.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... Skeletal muscles that are hungry for glycogen will mop up excessive glucose in the blood very quickly should the liver release its reserves.
...unless like many T2s you have insulin resistance. Insulin is a signal to use the glucose. If your body is insulin resistant this doesn't happen as well as it should.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking through this site I think you will find that most are saying that fats are actually good for you. The original research that concluded that fats are bad for you was faulty and inaccurate. Current research says drop the carbs and increase the fats.
absolutely agree, drop the carbs, increase fats.

M

Member496333

Yes. If it’s done properly. I live on virtually zero carbs every day and let my liver make up the balance of glucose. Carbohydrate in and of itself is a fuel source, nothing more. As with any diet the important thing is making sure you get plenty of micronutrients. I live exclusively on animal produce and try to eat plenty of organs. Seems to work for me. Never felt stronger or healthier. Obviously I’m not advocating for everyone to do the same, but the point is that your chosen fuel source is secondary to the amount and quality of vitamins and minerals. In my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: