I had a takeaway for dinner

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

I had a takeaway for dinner kfc as we were going out after we had eaten.
Just had philadolphia sandwhich for tea with yogurt & a few grapes ive just done my blood sugar 32.6 why so high.
I might as well not eat at all.

Sparklebright62

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to all,

Just had philadolphia sandwhich for tea with yogurt & a few grapes ive just done my blood sugar 32.6 why so high.

Sparklebright62

Hi,

What medication are you prescribed for your diabetes?
What were your bloods prior to the meal?
Can you do a second test (after a hand wash.) to confirm that reading..?
Do you have the facility to test for ketones?
You may need to dial 111 for advice on your errant BG levels...

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to Jaylee

I have just tested again gone down to 16.5
And No i do not have a keytones testing kit at all will the doctors perscribe me one.
I have just had dapagaflozin tabs for diabetes.
I am very stressed at the moment a loverly neighbour died the otherday she was 92 yrs old i am just not feeling good at the moment for some reason.

Sparklebright62.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am very stressed at the moment a loverly neighbour died the otherday she was 92 yrs old i am just not feeling good at the moment for some reason.
I'm so sorry to hear this, Sparklebright!

It looks like your foods today were mainly a lot of carbs between the KFC and the sandwich and grapes, so that would be a likely cause for your high numbers.
Glad to hear they've come down a little.

Take care of yourself!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi to Jaylee

I have just tested again gone down to 16.5
And No i do not have a keytones testing kit at all will the doctors perscribe me one.
I have just had dapagaflozin tabs for diabetes.

Sparklebright62.

Hi,

That's great your on the way back down..

My condolences for your neighbour.

I have to admit, the grapes can be a bit of a sugar hit for me. (fructose, being that form of sugar.) some can be the equivalent of eating a jelly baby??
There are a couple of other choices you made that may not have helped under the circumstance.?
Was the yoghurt natural? Or one of those flavoured jobs?

However, I can empathise it's not always easy to make the right assessments regarding the carb content in certain foods.

Reactions: EllieM
M

Member496333

Hi. It appears you have eaten a lot of glucose today, which explains your high blood readings if you are type 2. Have a read of the link in my signature courtesy of @JoKalsbeek. In the meantime if you are regularly getting those sorts of readings then seek medical advice immediately.

Iona May

Hi to all,

Sparklebright62

Hi Sparkle

What did you have from KFC? I usually get the salad and it doesnt raise my blood glucose much. The sandwich, yogurt and grapes are all high carb and carbs are essentially sugars, so it will raise your blood glucose. Maybe have some ham and cheese with olives, if you are after something filling and easy, then 2 squares of 90% chocolate if you fancy something sweet afterwards. Have you got the carbs and cals book? Its a really helpful tool in cutting down on the carbs.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My blood sugar would have shot up if I'd eaten that many carbs. Do you usually have so much? Grapes are mostly sugar and I have to avoid them along with bread, battered food, chips etc.
Luckily there are plenty of delicious low carb recipes- this evening I had roast chicken with two green veg, chicken juice poured over, then fake crumble of blackberries covered with ground almonds cooked for 20 mins at 190C and served with double cream.
I've made a crispy coating of ground almonds with spices for chicken before, served with either halloumi chips or a few chips made with butternut squash.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
That certainly is a lot of carbs and my blood sugar would respond the same way , I had a bit too much pitza last night and hey ho bg this morning was 16.9 , every now and again thats ok but try not to make a habit of it , Having said that 32 is extremely high and definitely to be avoided .

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't worry too much for now: it's not really the case that you might as well not eat at all - just don't eat extremely sugary, high carb food like grapes, yoghurt and sandwiches. KFC, if you just have the fried chicken itself is usually ok. If you take the skin off, it's very low-carb indeed.
Good luck with it- I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

I have a doctors appointment on friday morning about issues i contacted them about my diabetes sleeping tablets i just have 2 much to think about & so many health problems to deal with & also too much going on in my brain......
Along with grandchildren to look after my sister to think about.
Too much happening at once.

Sparklebright62.