Hello & a huge thank you!

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to sign up to the forum, as I've been reading so much that has helped me in such a short time I felt I needed to thank you.

Beginning of May I had blood tests to diagnose a problem, the results came back with a call from my Dr to say I was actually a type 2 diabetic with an HbA1c of 91, also high cholesterol, I didn't catch the numbers on that as I was rather gobsmacked with the word diabetes. It felt like a punch to the gut, my slightly big gut (which has got smaller!). Straight away she prescribed Metformin & Atorvastatin. :meh: Going through it all, the only symptom I had was occasionally very thirsty.

That day though, I stopped having anything with sugar, apart from in the natural 'healthy' foods, fruit & veg, lean meats etc. Had to go to the surgery to be checked out by the diabetic nurse & she filled me in on what to eat etc., plus I had to have breakfast, that didn't go down to well, never been able to face eating first thing, so I'd have a rice cake! Not long after I was sent an appt for a retinopathy check. Can't fault the speed in which I was informed, checked out & then eye scanned. Anyway, after about three weeks of salads & rice cake breakfast, I decided to see what Google would give me & thankfully, it was this forum. Here I read & read & did a bit more reading. I borrowed a glucose meter & used it so much I had blue finger tips! I also changed my diet to low carb, which is really enjoyable. :woot: Had to return for second HbA1c beginning of last month. I didn't get a call this time, but a text from my GP to say that it was 43 & very well controlled. Wahoo! I sent in a message to ask for a glucose meter & after speaking to the DN, she was quite happy to give one, I've calmed down on the use now though, only 4 times a day. ;) Yesterday my GP called re the original reason for my blood tests, but before going on to that she actually praised me for taking it seriously, lowering the number so quickly & to keep doing what I'm doing.

:shy: Erm....sorry, a bit of a book above, that's a very long winded way of me saying hello and most of all, thank you so so much, you don't know me from Adam, but you've changed my life!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
:shy: Erm....sorry, a bit of a book above, that's a very long winded way of me saying hello and most of all, thank you so so much, you don't know me from Adam, but you've changed my life!
And hello to you too, what a wonderful way to say hello!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I sent in a message to ask for a glucose meter & after speaking to the DN, she was quite happy to give one, I've calmed down on the use now though, only 4 times a day. ;)
And congrats on getting your surgery to give you a meter, most T2s in your position just get told that they don't need to test, which (as many of us on here suspect) is probably just a cost cutting measure by the NHS.

Reactions: jessj

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Well done those figures are brilliant , I know several family and friends who need that kick in the gut as you put it to get their act together , you will feel so much better .

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I had to sign up to the forum, as I've been reading so much that has helped me in such a short time I felt I needed to thank you.

Beginning of May I had blood tests to diagnose a problem, the results came back with a call from my Dr to say I was actually a type 2 diabetic with an HbA1c of 91, also high cholesterol, I didn't catch the numbers on that as I was rather gobsmacked with the word diabetes. It felt like a punch to the gut, my slightly big gut (which has got smaller!). Straight away she prescribed Metformin & Atorvastatin. :meh: Going through it all, the only symptom I had was occasionally very thirsty.

That day though, I stopped having anything with sugar, apart from in the natural 'healthy' foods, fruit & veg, lean meats etc. Had to go to the surgery to be checked out by the diabetic nurse & she filled me in on what to eat etc., plus I had to have breakfast, that didn't go down to well, never been able to face eating first thing, so I'd have a rice cake! Not long after I was sent an appt for a retinopathy check. Can't fault the speed in which I was informed, checked out & then eye scanned. Anyway, after about three weeks of salads & rice cake breakfast, I decided to see what Google would give me & thankfully, it was this forum. Here I read & read & did a bit more reading. I borrowed a glucose meter & used it so much I had blue finger tips! I also changed my diet to low carb, which is really enjoyable. :woot: Had to return for second HbA1c beginning of last month. I didn't get a call this time, but a text from my GP to say that it was 43 & very well controlled. Wahoo! I sent in a message to ask for a glucose meter & after speaking to the DN, she was quite happy to give one, I've calmed down on the use now though, only 4 times a day. ;) Yesterday my GP called re the original reason for my blood tests, but before going on to that she actually praised me for taking it seriously, lowering the number so quickly & to keep doing what I'm doing.

Welcome jessj and what a great story!
You must be on cloud 9 right now with such a success so quickly. I hope you really enjoy the forum and keep posting!

Reactions: SaskiaKC and jessj

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all, have a 'be', as I left it out above. :oops:

Thanks, EllieM, when I called in my request, I was told that the DN would call if there was a problem & she did call to say they don't normally give them out to T2s. So I asked her to look at my progress & mentioned it was by borrowing a meter that I had managed it, I then got the OK. My GP then wrote me up for the strips too. It was like a lottery win & I'm very grateful.

Thank you, Squire Fulwood.

Thanks, jaywak, we all react differently, I surprised myself though.

I must admit, Coby, for a short time, my puffed chest was bigger than my tum. ;) Thanks!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
First of all, have a 'be', as I left it out above. :oops:

Thanks, EllieM, when I called in my request, I was told that the DN would call if there was a problem & she did call to say they don't normally give them out to T2s. So I asked her to look at my progress & mentioned it was by borrowing a meter that I had managed it, I then got the OK. My GP then wrote me up for the strips too. It was like a lottery win & I'm very grateful.

Thank you, Squire Fulwood.

Thanks, jaywak, we all react differently, I surprised myself though.

I must admit, Coby, for a short time, my puffed chest was bigger than my tum. ;) Thanks!
You will go far!
Talking a DN round is almost unheard of haha

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't even the one that did my checks, Coby, so it wasn't bad going. :joyful:

Reactions: coby

Iona May

Just brilliant! Well done you that is fabulous :):):)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome, @jessj. Congratulations!

m1277.gif

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Crikey, thank you, Ronancastled. :shy:

Thanks, SaskiaKC

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The biggest congratulations! What an amazing result. My GP said HbA1c of 8.7 (72) was too high to come back from! I know he wasn’t telling me the truth! It can be done …you’ve just done it wooohoo

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, HurricaneHippo! :) Reading this forum is so good for your health, with so much advice from folks that have tried, tested and proved it is possible to get our numbers down. At some point, you will show your GP how wrong he was.