diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi libbyM, regarding your post for pizza crust, can you tell me how much Almond flour to use in grams please?, you have written 1 1/2 c ( presumably meaning cups), thanks Debra x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Libby, many thanks, Deb x

maggie2

Today I made a spinach, onion and feta cheese quiche using the recipe for the perfect pie pastry.
The pastry is so easy to make and to the ingredients I added a couple of eggs and cream. It set ok
The pastry although baked blind doesn't seem to need any beans or rice placed on top to stop it rising.
I didn't use any particular amount just what I had in the fridge and it worked out fine. I haven't as yet made a fruit tart with it but am sure it will be yummy.
At the moment we are dealing with central heating problems as the freeze sets in here in the Dordogne. 8) Have been in this house for 4 years and it's the first time we've had frozen pipes. Thank goodness we have a woodburner which I cook on but wood is running low. Can't win :roll:
I should add that I place the ball of pastry between sheets of clingfilm and roll it out not as the recipe suggests to push it to the sides after flattening the ball in the dish.

Maryannonsilk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Intolerance
The burger recipe here is a great one ... the only difference in mine is that I put cubes of mature cheddar in the mix and streaky bacon around the edge of the burger with a toothpick to keep it in place ... when cooked the cheese melts into the burger meat and the bacon adds a really yummy flavour ... old Texan recipe I was told ....

WhitbyJet

Sponge cake & Trifle

Here are a couple of tried and tested recipes, passed with flying colours - teenage daughter gave it thumbs up and 'lush cake' (I'd forgotten that she can talk so much :lol: )

http://www.gluten-free-around-the-world ... ecipe.html - this is so versatile, omit cinnamon and lemon, add different flavours, fill/top with buttercream, berries, whipped cream, cream cheese frosting.....

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/forum/v ... ?f=4&t=772 step by step instructions for low carb trifle, use berries instead of peaches if you prefer

See, you still can eat all the nice food, just a little different thats all, so dont despair

WhitbyJet

THE BEST LOW CARB LASAGNA THERE IS!!!

THE BEST LOW CARB LASAGNA THERE IS!!!

LOW CARB LASAGNA SHEETS

4 eggs

125 g cream cheese

1/2 cup fibre husks (I have used psyllum husks, another time I used freshly ground flaxseeds, both worked just fine)

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.

Whisk together eggs, cream cheese and fibre and set aside for 10 – 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken to a consistency similar to custard.

Line and grease a baking sheet, spread the mixture on to that, then take another sheet of baking paper, grease it with some oil or butter, place it greased side down on top of the dough mixture, now press down with your hands/fingers to spread the mixture thinly and evenly between the two sheets.
Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes.
Once its cooked, carefully remove the top layer of the paper and let the sheets cool completely before turning out the pasta sheet and removing the bottom layer of the paper, cut pasta to size.

Photo is here: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... later.html
-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
TWO VERSIONS OF LASAGNA FOR YOU TO TRY (trust me both are simply divine!!)
Meat Lasagna

Ingredients for the Meat sauce:
1/2 - 1 package of bacon, diced
400 g minced beef
1 large onion - finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
butter for frying
1 can chopped tomatoes
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
1-2 tablespoons bouillon powder dissolved in a little water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or a splash of red wine if you have any remaining)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon oregano
Optional: chopped peppers, mushrooms

Lasagna Sheets

Ingredients for the Cheese Sauce

200 ml double cream
4 cups grated cheese (preferably a mixture, but make sure you have some parmesan in there)
grated nutmeg
white pepper
salt (if you have not used parmesan)
extra cheese, grated (to sprinkle on top)

Preparation of meat sauce

Fry the bacon in a frying pan and place in a saucepan.
Cook garlic and onion in bacon fat until soft, then place into saucepan with the bacon. Put onion and garlic in pan with bacon.
Add butter to the frying pan and fry the minced beef. When meat is browned, add tomato puree, cook for a few more minutes then add to the saucepan, add all other ingredients, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer for at least half an hour, the longer the better actually, I leave mine for an hour. Adjust seasoning.

Preparation of cheese sauce

Boil the cream and let it cook until it has reduced to 2/3 - 1/2 of the original amount. Mix the cheese into the cream and stir until cheese is completely melted together with the cream. Be careful with the amount of parmesan. You should probably not use more than 1/3 Parmesan cheese as it is very salty. Season with nutmeg and white pepper.

When the meat sauce, lasagne sheets and cheese sauce are done, you can assemble your lasagne, add meat sauce, cheese sauce and lasagne sheets in layers, sprinkle remaining cheese on top, bake in the oven at 200 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.

Serve with a salad and a glass of wine.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... sagne.html

SALMON AND SPINACH LASAGNA

1 small onion - thinly sliced
300G spinach
1 to 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
500 g salmon fillets without skin and bones
butter
500ml cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
little nutmeg
salt & pepper
a few handfuls of grated cheese
1 serving low-carb lasagna sheets

Melt the butter in a pan. Fry onion in butter until soft. Add the garlic and cook a bit further.

Add spinach to the pan and stir around until the spinach is cooked. Add cream and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approx. 10 minutes. Season with lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and pepper.

Cut the salmon into slices about 1/2 - 1 inch thick.

Assemble lasagne - spinach sauce, salmon and lasagna sheets layered in a casserole dish. (Begin and end with sauce) Sprinkle grated cheese on top.

Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for approx. 30 minutes, or until cheese is golden. Let the lasagna rest for 5 - 10 minutes before cutting into it.

Serve with salad and sour cream dressing.

http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... pinat.html

WhitbyJet

Coconut Cream Chocolate Ripple Dessert

Coconut Cream Chocolate Ripple Dessert
Serves 4
Ingredients:
200 ml Whipping cream
2 cups coconut cream
50 g dark chocolate
1 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence/ or scrape out a vanilla pod
sweetener to taste

Topping
strawberry and toasted coconut

Whip the cream (reserve 1 spoon of cream for later) with vanilla and sweetener.
Drain the watery liquid from the coconut cream and then add the cream to the whipping cream. Whip up again and place in the fridge for half an hour.

Melt chocolate and let cool slightly. Stir in the reserved spoon of cream. Drizzle the chocolate over the mousse, turning the bowl as you go along to get that ripple effect. spoon into individual serving dishes, top with a sliced strawberry and toasted coconut or if you havent got that sprinkle with chopped nuts (thats what I did)

Photo http://www.lchfrecept.com/ShowRecepy.aspx?ID=1463

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
So good to have you back, WhitbyJet - I've missed you :D

I shall try your lasagna - I used to make a great one with my ratatouille (a few pages ago) instead of meat sauce, and I do miss it.

Viv 8)

WhitbyJet

Recipes from German Low Carb Forum

Crustless Quiche
6 Eggs
250ml sour cream or creme fraiche
1 tsp baking powder
Salt, pepper. paprika powder

Mix all ingredients together, add any other herbs or spices you want..
Pour mixture into a baking dish, add any vegetables or meat you like

Suggestion:
2 courgettes, sliced
handul of cherry tomatoes
smoked bacon or ham, cubed
Onion, sliced

Top with crumbled Feta cheese or any other cheese of your choice

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes on 180C then enjoy, lovely served with a salad.
Photo: http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3306#p83107
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-Minute Chocolate Cake
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
2,5 tbsp ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Eggs
2 tbsp sweetener
Mix all ingredients, cook in microwave for 3 minutes, serve with cream or buttercream or cream cheese frosting, Da Vinci syrup, berries, whatever you like
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3343

Almost White Chocolate

Melt one packet of creamed coconut over low heat until soft and creamy (dont overheat it). mix with 200g coconut oil or even better would be organic cocoa butter (<< really does taste chocolatey!), scrape out a vanilla pod or few drops of vanilla, sweetener, stir all ingredients together, pour into chocolate moulds, leave to cool in the fridge.
Scroll down for photo:
http://lchf.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1875

Reactions: 2 people

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi AGAIN, welcome back, you have been missed. Where will I buy low carb lasagne sheets from, I don't remember ever seeing them, thanks, Debra x

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi it's me again. My question this time is not about recipes but rather how to print a desired recipe out without having to print them all out. Can anyone tell me please, thanks, Debra x

WhitbyJet

diadeb - copy and paste the recipe onto a blank Word document and print. Are you doing youreslf a recipe folder?

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Whitbyjet but haven't a clue how to do that so will have to write everything out as usual. Yes I do have a recipe folder and so I thought that it would be much easier to print out the recipes but not computer savvy enough. By the way can I buy low carb lasagne sheets from most supermarkets?, thanks, Debra x

WhitbyJet

diadeb - you need to make your own low carb lasagna sheets, the recipe is above, did you miss it?

copy and paste = put the cursor to the left of the first line that you wish to copy and paste, hold down the left mouse button and whilst holding it down drag the cursor across the whole line, you will see the line or lines will be highlighted

Now right click the highlighted bit and click copy
then go to your blank document, right click and click paste