Low carb; how many?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi I would just like to know what kind of level of carb you all go for. Say 26g per meal, is that still too much? Thanks all. X

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I would just like to know what kind of level of carb you all go for. Say 26g per meal, is that still too much? Thanks all. X

It will be very dependent on you, it will be very specific to you and only you, as I'm sure others will tell you testing is the key to finding out how many you can deal with - and that amount will depend on any meds you are taking as well.

Reactions: HSSS

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It really depends on the individual I think. It's best to test and see. Also depends what else is eaten with it and time of day. My evening meal contains more carbs than breakfast as I can't tolerate as much in morning. 26g of carbs might be too much for some people, but might be tolerated more if combined with fat and protein.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off at 130g daily and got down to about 80 to 100g daily. This suited my BGs very well, however I needed to drop to around 50g to lose weight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You would find a wider audience by starting a thread specifically asking this question but the answers so far seem right. Eat to your meter. FWIW, 26 gms is on average > a days worth foe me and my control is still rank.

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was told 46 years ago to aim for 200 gms per day , I'me now down to about 150 g per day and I find thats fine as when you get older you tend to eat less , I've recently lost one and a half stone of belly fat and that has made me feel good as well .

Last edited:

Iona May

I stick to 50gs a day, including the milk I have in my coffee etc. I rarely go over 25g in a single meal and it seems to be suiting me. For breakfast I have less than 5g as I cant deal with the carbs first thing. Find what works for you and set your own limits, trial and error is well worth it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As you need precisely zero then why not aim for that and see where you get to?

Reactions: SuNuman
M

Member496333

Zero a lot of the time. I would imagine average 5g per day including cream in coffee, and liver.

Reactions: SuNuman

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate the wisdom and insights of those who have achieved wonders by going almost 0. I'm genuinely in awe. Maybe be more sympathetic/aware in your wording of help/advice for those of us who find LC foul tough enough and are only clinging on desperately for as long as we can possibly manage. Goals need to be SMART. All I can do is get through 1 day at a time as LC as possible and many seem to be in the same boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM and coby

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It does depend on the lifestyle you lead as well , I mean like tonight i've just been invited by friends to the pub which we do roughly every two weeks so a couple of pints of lager will be about 40 grams of carbs Just because you have diabetes it doesn't stop you doing normal lifestyle things .

Reactions: coby

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm genuinely in awe. Maybe be more sympathetic/aware in your wording of help/advice for those of us who find LC foul enough and are only clinging on desperately for as long as we can possibly manage.
Why do you think it foul?
Eating beef every day is hardly a burden.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just because you have diabetes it doesn't stop you doing normal lifestyle things

Except that when doing some of those "normal lifestyle things" has been a major contributor to developing T2 you kind of wake up and think maybe it's just self harm?

M

Member496333

I appreciate the wisdom and insights of those who have achieved wonders by going almost 0. I'm genuinely in awe. Maybe be more sympathetic/aware in your wording of help/advice for those of us who find LC foul enough and are only clinging on desperately for as long as we can possibly manage. Goals need to be SMART. All I can do is get through 1 day at a time as LC as possible and many seem to be in the same boat.

I think the key for many is abstinence rather than moderation. I find my zero-carb carnivore lifestyle a breeze. I never feel deprived and would never dream of going back to eating ‘normal’ food even if I thought I would get away with it long term. But that’s just me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on the individuals response to carbs, and the medication they are on.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
'need' also depends on the individual. There is physical need for some with multiple heath concerns, there is emotional need, there is mental need, there is financial need eg a 100% protein diet is expensive and meat can be unaffordable for some.. All sorts of valid needs. Some who have digestive issues may need a certain amount of fibre in their daily diet, for example. Need is a relative term and will vary for the individual.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to be difficult here and both agree and disagree with @bulkbiker

Why do you think it foul?
Eating beef every day is hardly a burden.

Some of us aren't that keen on meat and fish. In the last 18 months I have gone off it even more and have to force myself to eat any protein at all.
My body does not like carni. I have tried it twice (in 2011) and was very constipated, resulting in months of pain and distress. I won't ever deprive myself of veggies again. I understand that those of you who on here who do 0 carbs don't have this problem but I only lasted 2 weeks each time. Never again. It ruined 6 months of my life. It just goes to show we are all different.

I find 50g carbs fairly easy to stick to most of the time, but struggle when I go below this to do keto, which is why I don't do keto all the time.

Except that when doing some of those "normal lifestyle things" has been a major contributor to developing T2 you kind of wake up and think maybe it's just self harm?
Yes I agree, in addition I don't think eating processed foods is a 'normal' activity for anyone's body, but the food companies like persuading us otherwise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For some it may be both a financial and an ethical burden. We cannot all be quite so dogmatic.

I'll disagree on the financial side it just takes more thought

as for ethics.. no way of eating is free from death.. animals die whether you eat meat or veg some of us are simply more honest about it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, everyone is different so it is impossible to say if 26g per meal is too much, you need to find your own level by experiment. I would however caution against a "per meal" figure as I have found the time of day to have a big influence on how many carbs I can handle. I have almost no carbs at breakfast, a bit more at lunch and the rest at dinner usually with a beer to follow.

Reactions: ziggy_w