Hubby new to diabetes type 2

RosB

I'm posting for my hubby as he doesn't "do" computers and I found out recently from our GP's receptionist, that he's been a type 2 diabetic since late 2019. (NHS England complaint made).

We got some help already from here (thank you) and are both slowly adopting a Keto diet. Him, more than me, obviously (I'm hoping to avoid diabetes if possible).

He is not on any meds yet as he wants to try an control it by diet, his BG level over 3 months (dr blood test) was 54. He's 51, has a manual job on a pig farm (steel toecap boots and wellies) and is a few stones overweight, though he's lost 1 stone so far, changing to keto.

From what I understand, normal BG is between 4-7 and it's ok to go up to 8.5 (but no more) 2 hours after meals. Is this correct?

Reactions: Moggy1968
M

Member496333

I think a rule of thumb for many people is a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/L after eating, irrespective of the starting point. For me personally 8.5 would be too high but it might not be a bad target for someone just starting out. They say perfection is the enemy of good. Not sure that always rings true but there's certainly no point beating yourself up over the numbers game when embarking on the diabetes journey. Trends are more valuable data than single point tests. Important thing is making all the right moves, and it seem like you are both doing exactly that. The numbers will come later.

Reactions: RosB

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@RosB I didn't pay any attention to the so-called 'normal range' for finger-prick Blood Glucose tests because things like Dawn Phenomenon can really throw those out of whack as can things outside of our control such as:
Infection
injury
stress
lack of sleep
medication statins and steroids often raise BG, but if we need them then we need them.

What I did concentrate on was aiming for the rise at the 2hrs Post Prandial mark to be at most 2 mmol. That is something that a Type 2 producing their own insulin can control.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm posting for my hubby as he doesn't "do" computers and I found out recently from our GP's receptionist, that he's been a type 2 diabetic since late 2019. (NHS England complaint made).

We got some help already from here (thank you) and are both slowly adopting a Keto diet. Him, more than me, obviously (I'm hoping to avoid diabetes if possible).

He is not on any meds yet as he wants to try an control it by diet, his BG level over 3 months (dr blood test) was 54. He's 51, has a manual job on a pig farm (steel toecap boots and wellies) and is a few stones overweight, though he's lost 1 stone so far, changing to keto.

From what I understand, normal BG is between 4-7 and it's ok to go up to 8.5 (but no more) 2 hours after meals. Is this correct?
Hello @RosB ,

With a HbA1c of 54, he should be able to get back to a normal range on a keto diet rather quickly, so it's not unrealistic of him to want to go for diet controlled. And it's a good thing you're doing it together, that makes it easier on everyone.

You've got the blood sugar ranges right, technically speaking. But when you're just starting out, it is indeed more important to keep the rise in check: no more than 2.0 mmol/l between pre and post prandial, with 2 hours in between. If that's kept up, the numbers should become normal/non-diabetic after a little while. Keep in mind that in the morning, fasting blood sugars are influenced by a liver dump of glucose, that's got nothing much to do with food, and is the last number to come down. But all in all... You guys are on the right path back to health. :)

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c of 54 is an excellent starting point. He can reduce it very quickly on the keto diet; I did on low carb.
mine was around the same, reduced it to 49 on low carb, but I helped it along the way by doing walking football.
The hardest was getting the dawn phennomonen under control.
I kept a food diary, this helped me which foods I could or could not eat, also something to show the Doctor.
My goal was to achieve 6.1 and under, my ultimate aim is still the same, it is realistic.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
What is great is that you are supporting your husband. It is really hard when there are tasty fake foods being devoured by one's other half. To boot for your own health lowering carbs at worst would be neutral.

I believe fasting glucose should be 5 or under. I agree with Marty Kendall that post prandial rises should be 1.6 or below - he uses his Nutient Density Optimiser to tune what to eat and see what really works via his Type 1 wife (for her) and his followers - 9ver 2.5 million logged meals.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, your understanding is right and your husband should be able to get his figures right with keto diet. Don't worry about fasting test results as the Dawn Phenomenon is normal. I can see from my Libre 2 CGM that my BS rises shortly before dawn for that reason and I ignore it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 10 years of only diet control my fasting blood sugars are still around 8. My dawn phenomenon has a mind of its own. Focus on the rest of the day, and the rise before and 2 hours after meals. Best wishes.

Reactions: RosB and SuNuman

RosB

Thank you all for your replies. It's a great relief to be able to get help from people who KNOW what they're talking about!!

We didn't know about the Dawn Phenomenon, or the 1.6/2mmol/l after meals. We've just been going on the "not over 8.5" advice. I will tell him he's on the right track, thanks to the advice from this forum, you have both our Wholehearted Thanks. :)

Hubby isn't really a sweets kind of guy. Pastry is what he sometimes misses. I'm the sweets/cake/bread fiend out of us :oops:

Tbh I've been obese for almost 30 years (I'm 47) due to ill physical and mental health and it broke my heart when I found out hubby was diabetic. I knew I'd shortly follow him if I didn't change. But all the info I was ever given was Low Fat, Low fat. Now I discover that the only thing it caused me to lose was my gallbladder! I'm so angry about it. The NHS/doctors ignored my Bipolar for 10 years, saying it was Post Natal Depression because I was having our 3 kids during that time. :mad:

Anyway, we're slowly getting used to the revelation that Fat is our Friend, he's lost 1 stone and I've lost 2, and tonight I'm cooking my first ever stir fry (keto, duck). :happy:

M

Member496333

@RosB I have a feeling that a year from now you will look back and realise your husband’s diagnosis was the best thing that ever happened to you both. I know that I would not turn back the clock and live the rest of my days treading water, unaware of what real health and vitality feels like.

Reactions: MrsA2 and RosB
D

Deleted member 543160

@RosB Well done you for supporting your husband, and getting some great results. (Mine is something of a carbabaholic who does his own thing, so I needed to learn very quickly to ignore his carby "stash"!).

If you can keep on eating at least a lowish carb diet, there are other health benefits to doing so - it's not necessarily just about managing diabetes or weight.

Like @lucylocket61 my dawn phenomenon definitely has a mind of its own, so I just let it do its own thing, and concentrate on managing my pre and post meals levels, which works perfectly well for me.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are such a lovely person to give so much support, and part of the reward will be enjoying your health improving alongside hubby's. You rock!