cheapest keto meals(include price card)

Drfarxan

A woman i know has diabetes type 2,obesity,gastro issues and failing liver. I always try to recommend LCHF to people with diabetes,obesity and fatty liver disease(although for her case it was hep b infection) but she is VERY poor(VERY). The biggest complaint for most people is LCHF is EXPENSIVE. Buying steaks is a luxury for most people even for me the expenses get to me.1kg of rice is not only cheaper but can last for 5 days for a single person. Meanwhile cheapest meat for us chicken breasts can cost more or the same and last for at most 3 days. A steak costs even more and its a one day meal!!!
Most people will say "fats are not expensive" since even small amount has a lot of calories. But small amount or normal amount does not make people satiated,proteins do and proteins are expensive. Some of you will say add more greens but that too doesnt do it for most people they feel hungry again after a while. Some of you might say after getting fat adopted you wont feel hungry often but its not about eating often it is about affording a meal in the long term even if its just one.

So have any of you tried to find the cheapest keto out there? which is satisfying and sustainable. And can you write the price of the cheapest keto/LCHF meal on the side

PS:In hindsight i understand the evolution which lead to the use of breads now,they probably evolve from people using carbs plant food to fill up the stomach and feell satiated.It was never meant to be "real" food just a filler. But because of convenience it became the main food for most culture. Not only bread but most carbs like potatoes.

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs, cheap fatty cuts of meat, cauliflower, any above ground veg, chicken thighs, lard, offal, ham hock, there is really plenty of low carb stuff out there it doesn’t have to be steak and cream and cheese for every meal you just have to think a bit

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fried cabbage , onions and bacon pieces. A one pan filling meal and definitely not expensive.
Diet Doctor’s Keto Chicken casserole (I tried this for the first time yesterday and it was delicious!)
I understand what your saying about how you can fill up cheaply on bread or rice but you can adapt to filling up on protein or fat.

Reactions: Drfarxan

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Stewing steak is far cheaper than high end steaks, a pack of chicken thighs is far less than chicken fillets, I buy good low carb sausages, also eggs and cheese, Greek yoghurt, packs of salad, frozen stir fry, low carb vege mixes and berries, as there is no waste.
I have shown my supermarket receipts to people protesting about the cost to eat low carb and they are baffled, or claim that I must buy more than that during the week, but I really do not - though I do buy large packs of meat and divide them up the chicken thighs are 1Kg or sometimes more, 6 or 8 pork chops, they are cheaper per item than buying just one or two at a time.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chicken wings and legs; minced beef (for burgers as well as frying); eggs; tinned sardines are all cheap and satisfying. Frozen greens are as much, if not more nutritious than "fresh" that have been on the shelves a while, and cheaper. Big tubs of ghee for cooking.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Organs. No one wants them. High fat minced beef also not that expensive compared to a steak.
I agree with that. I would never buy a steak, and couldn't afford to either!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Thanks for sharing that link. I know vaguely which vegetables are low and high in carb but it is really nice to see the fine detail.
Interesting that red capsicums are higher in carb than green ones - I thought the colour was just a function of their ripeness, but I guess riper is sweeter.

Also, back on topic, if low carb veg are part of your keto diet, isn't it going to depend a lot on the time of year and what is in season?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
eggs, cheese, never have steak. Rarely have meat. Milk is good, butter has protein too. My answers are going to depend on where in the work you live and what is available. There is no need to have red meat at all. Chicken bones make a nutritious stock to add to vegetables for a meal.

I am not sure why people think you have to eat red meat to do low carb or keto. You dont.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A woman i know has diabetes type 2,obesity,gastro issues and failing liver. I always try to recommend LCHF to people with diabetes,obesity and fatty liver disease(although for her case it was hep b infection) but she is VERY poor(VERY). The biggest complaint for most people is LCHF is EXPENSIVE. Buying steaks is a luxury for most people even for me the expenses get to me.1kg of rice is not only cheaper but can last for 5 days for a single person. Meanwhile cheapest meat for us chicken breasts can cost more or the same and last for at most 3 days. A steak costs even more and its a one day meal!!!
Most people will say "fats are not expensive" since even small amount has a lot of calories. But small amount or normal amount does not make people satiated,proteins do and proteins are expensive. Some of you will say add more greens but that too doesnt do it for most people they feel hungry again after a while. Some of you might say after getting fat adopted you wont feel hungry often but its not about eating often it is about affording a meal in the long term even if its just one.

So have any of you tried to find the cheapest keto out there? which is satisfying and sustainable. And can you write the price of the cheapest keto/LCHF meal on the side

PS:In hindsight i understand the evolution which lead to the use of breads now,they probably evolve from people using carbs plant food to feel up the stomach and feel satiated.It was never meant to be "real" food just a filler. But because of convenience it became the main food for most culture. Not only bread but most carbs like potatoes.
can you tell us what type of diabetic you are, and what medications you are on for diabetes too please? It would be helpful if you fill in your information page on your profile, as then anyone answering you about diet can tailor our answers to your situation.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing that link. I know vaguely which vegetables are low and high in carb but it is really nice to see the fine detail.
Interesting that red capsicums are higher in carb than green ones - I thought the colour was just a function of their ripeness, but I guess riper is sweeter.

Also, back on topic, if low carb veg are part of your keto diet, isn't it going to depend a lot on the time of year and what is in season?
The yellow ones are in between the two levels of the red and green peppers.
With freezers and transporting of foods around the globe, it is easy enough to get veges and berries so as to be able to eat low carb year round. At least it is at the moment, even with the shortage of drivers and delays at the ports.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The yellow ones are in between the two levels of the red and green peppers.
With freezers and transporting of foods around the globe, it is easy enough to get veges and berries so as to be able to eat low carb year round. At least it is at the moment, even with the shortage of drivers and delays at the ports.
Where I live in Bundaberg. capsicums are grown for export just along Rosedale Road and you only see green and red ones there.

As with most of the fruit and veggies grown here in the Wide Bay area there is a shortage of pickers / packers because of covid. The people who normally help pick are foreign backpackers but they are not allowed into Australia to work at present. This worker shortage jacks up the prices of a lot of food stuff.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

True, but if you want to buy cheap ones it pays to buy when there is a glut. I'm in ruralish New Zealand and there are massive price differences according to what is in season (including some supermarkets that give some fresh vegetables away).

Drfarxan

can you tell us what type of diabetic you are, and what medications you are on for diabetes too please? It would be helpful if you fill in your information page on your profile, as then anyone answering you about diet can tailor our answers to your situation.
hello i am diabetes type 2 for 1 year and 3 months now(as far as i know) , i will try to set up an info page i just did not try to find out how to do that yet. But i will

Reactions: mo53

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Drfarxan if you hover your mouse over the little icon with your name next to it at the top right of the page under the search bar you get the option to do things like edit your personal details or go to your profile page or edit your signature that appears at the end of each post. You can edit your personal details to put things like your diabetes type and medications in, and you can also put extra stuff on your profile page.

I have a whole lot of moderator links in my signature, but you can put anything you like there (as long as it doesn't break forum rules so no swearing please :))

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cabbage and eggs are generally very cheap, and you can get them from the market. Lots of greens will fit into a keto carb budget. Cauliflower is good. If you're in Turkey, I guess you can eat menemen too- that's generally low-carb and cheap to make. Eggplant is another great option- many wonderful Turkish dishes with eggplant/ aubergine!

My cheap day would be something like---

two boiled eggs and black tea for breakfast
steamed chicken and cabbage for lunch
spinach and fried fish for dinner

I guess noodles and soup stock, or rice and margarine would still be a little cheaper, but unless money is very tight, I think you can eat well for little expense with keto/ low-carb

Last edited: