Low carb; how many?

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating beef every day is hardly a burden.

It would be for me. I detest meat fat, loathe chicken skin, loathe the taste and mouthfeel of the fat from any kind of meat.

I do like fish and so have added that back into my diet after several years of being vegetarian, my diet now though is based on green veggies - cucumber, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower - eggs, cheese and nuts. I have oily fish once or twice a week. Of course there is some variety, but those are my basics.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why do you think it foul?
Eating beef every day is hardly a burden.
You don't even know if I'm Hindu. Eating meat isn't pleasant for me. I am aware of what many others eat - look at my signature. Just because you can eat meat frequently and be happy doesn't mean I can. I'll do it once a week as my wife likes Sunday lunch. Let's just ignore each other to make life easy for everyone. I should never have replied to you.

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be for me. I detest meat fat, loathe chicken skin, loathe the taste and mouthfeel of the fat from any kind of meat.

I do like fish and so have added that back into my diet after several years of being vegetarian, my diet now though is based on green veggies - cucumber, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower - eggs, cheese and nuts. I have oily fish once or twice a week. Of course there is some variety, but those are my basics.
I like meat with fat especially roast pork, I think the crispy skin of chicken is the best bit, I am a confirmed meat eater.
BUT if I tried to only eat meat, I would probably be able to last a week before I couldn't face it anymore and the craving for vegetables and variety of textures, flavours and even colours would take over. Successful diets need to be sustainable and I think a meat only diet is for the obsessional.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I appreciate the wisdom and insights of those who have achieved wonders by going almost 0. I'm genuinely in awe. Maybe be more sympathetic/aware in your wording of help/advice for those of us who find LC foul enough and are only clinging on desperately for as long as we can possibly manage. Goals need to be SMART. All I can do is get through 1 day at a time as LC as possible and many seem to be in the same boat.
Me too. X

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I too find that my tolerance of carbohydrate is very low at breakfast time. I limit breakfast to 10g carbohydrate e.g. 2 slices of HiLo toast or a grilled tomato. Sometimes I miss breakfast all together. However my tolerance improved as the day goes on.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I think the key for many is abstinence rather than moderation. I find my zero-carb carnivore lifestyle a breeze. I never feel deprived and would never dream of going back to eating ‘normal’ food even if I thought I would get away with it long term. But that’s just me.

When you say you have a zero carb carnivore lifestyle, do you mean you only eat meat, and no vegetables, grains, sweet stuff, or anything else?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like meat with fat especially roast pork, I think the crispy skin of chicken is the best bit, I am a confirmed meat eater.
BUT if I tried to only eat meat, I would probably be able to last a week before I couldn't face it anymore and the craving for vegetables and variety of textures, flavours and even colours would take over. Successful diets need to be sustainable and I think a meat only diet is for the obsessional.

Try it and see you might be surprised.. or don't your call..

I'm quite happy with being obsessed with my personal health thanks.

M

Member496333

When you say you have a zero carb carnivore lifestyle, do you mean you only eat meat, and no vegetables, grains, sweet stuff, or anything else?

I occasionally dabble in nuts, but overwhelmingly animal produce. Meat & organs, fish, eggs and dairy. Cook with ghee or duck fat. No plants, no grains, no sugar. Drink water, coffee and bone broth.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I would just like to know what kind of level of carb you all go for. Say 26g per meal, is that still too much? Thanks all. X
How much carb I eat (~20g/day) says exactly nothing about how much you should eat. If I ate 200g/day, or 2g/day, you'd still have to find out what works for you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A reminder to everyone here to some of our rules, and an invitation to (re)read those forum rules again.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

Many T2's can reach healthy levels without going close to zero carbs.
It's fine if you like that lifestyle for yourself but it definitely isn't the only way of managing diabetes well.
Diabetics on insulin can obviously manage in a different way than most T2's, and this is the T2 subforum. Please be aware of cross posting.

B3. Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices.

B4. There is rarely one way of dealing with diabetes. Be tolerant and courteous to those preferring to adopt a different approach.

B5. Different types of diabetes require very different management techniques and/or medications. Be mindful of this when considering responding to a topic.

B6. Type 1s may post on Type 2 topics, and vice versa (and applicable to other diabetes types and groups), where they have something relevant and helpful to contribute. When cross-posting, particular care must be given to ensure your content is relevant to the topic and original poster (OP).

Last edited:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Except that when doing some of those "normal lifestyle things" has been a major contributor to developing T2 you kind of wake up and think maybe it's just self harm?
Yes I do agree but I do think over the last few decades we have gone to the extreme , I have just been on holiday to the peeks with an old school friend and will say I was disgusted at the amounts he ate 200 carbs in one sitting and he does seem to have the symptons of type one but you try and tell him , No chance !

Reactions: SuNuman

Jo123

I was lucky enough to be diagnosed at only prediabetic.
Initially I was very strict, now when I calculate it tends to be around 80 gms per day. However I have to be much lower in the morning to keep my bg down. I'm also including everything including green leafy veg, I eat no pasta, flour, potatoes, bread etc., basically no obvious carbs.

Reactions: ziggy_w
M

Member496333

I think it’s also interesting to add into the mix that although it’s reasonable to assume nearly everyone in our circles discovered low or zero carb because of diabetes, that may not necessarily be the reason they maintain it. Speaking only for myself, I don’t maintain zero carb because I’m obsessed with it, I genuinely just prefer it. It’s easy. I prefer the food, I prefer the way it makes me feel, and I don’t ever feel deprived or inconvenienced. So, far from being obsessed, it’s just my new normal. It’s all a win-win for me. As always, your mileage may vary :cool:

Reactions: ziggy_w and EllieM

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

I too could easily b a vegetarian. I eat some meat now purely so I eat something that won’t spike my blood sugar. I miss a jacket potato with beans or just a plate of chips. I did get to the stage this week that if I ate another serving of meat I would b sick. It is very difficult when you don’t want to eat meat. X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I stick to 50gs a day, including the milk I have in my coffee etc. I rarely go over 25g in a single meal and it seems to be suiting me. For breakfast I have less than 5g as I cant deal with the carbs first thing. Find what works for you and set your own limits, trial and error is well worth it.
Thank you. A very helpful reply. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
As others have said, everyone is different so it is impossible to say if 26g per meal is too much, you need to find your own level by experiment. I would however caution against a "per meal" figure as I have found the time of day to have a big influence on how many carbs I can handle. I have almost no carbs at breakfast, a bit more at lunch and the rest at dinner usually with a beer to follow.
Thank you. X

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I would just like to know what kind of level of carb you all go for. Say 26g per meal, is that still too much? Thanks all. X
I do not count what I eat any more, I eat approx 100 to 150 grams per day over three meals.

My bgl are not to bad, although my hba1c went up a bit last time, but that was due to stuff they gave me to clean me out for a colonoscopy, and the stuff I had to drink for a CT scan a week later.

I eat meat, fish, dairy stuff eggs, butter cheese, certain veggies, small portions of fruit, I have not missed out on a lot of stuff though. This forum has lots of good tips on what to eat that helped me.

Reactions: Widgets and EllieM