Rant!

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, where do I start.
I have to get this off my chest and am happy to take advice.

I was given Empagliflozin on the 3rd. I saw my diabetic nurse on the 7th. I had a headache and felt short of breath. But she was very happy with my blood glucose levels as they had dropped from 16.5 to 6.6.

On the 8th, I spent all day in bed, no appetite, massive headache, panting. Called the doctor who told me it was probably a virus and to call back in the morning if I still felt unwell. It got to 10pm and I was feeling nearly out of it so my mum dialled 111. They called an ambulance and low and behold, I was whipped in to A&E. Turns out my keytones were at 8.5 and had full on DKA.

Not once did they check my keytones or suggest it. It was dismissed.

Came out of hospital on the 12th, with no discharge papers as it was a Sunday but told they would be ready on Monday to collect, as well as my new meds (now on NovoRapid and Lantus) plus keytone strips. Guess what, it wasn't done.
Today, on the 14th, after many calls, the discharge papers are ready and the medication/strips are being sent by a medical courier from the hospital.

It is an all mighty **** up!

Edited by mod

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rant is valid in this case. I too would have expressed severe dissatisfaction myself. PS the word **** is a proper English word derived from the days of musket rifles, where it was common to cause a misfire if you did not get the primer right. Going off at half **** is an example of its correct use. I believe the moderation was too enthusiastic,

I had an argument with my consultant when he put me on Dapagliflozin, as I wanted ketone test facilities as well as the pills. He pooh-poohed my request, so I got my GP to prescribe me some.. I am on a water tablet for another co-morbidity, and this is apparently a trigger for DKA to be caused.

Of the two, Dapagliflozin is the stronger one according to the FDA. Interesting - I do not feel right since starting it, and I will be wary of it, Tiredness and breathing restrictions seem to be my lot too, but no headaches yet. Also dizziness. As for doziness Well, I ask you.

Reactions: AloeSvea

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update
Both insulin pens were delivered just now.
However, no keytone strips so no monitoring of my keytones until my mum goes to the doctors tomorrow morning and tries to be given them.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This drives me nuts. You have responded to insulin forcing the glucose in, you may well have responded also to the removal of glucose by not eating / drinking any / minimal. The first way resulted in almost removing you from this mortal coil the second at worst would have made you feel weird, whilst the sugar comes out.

Why they won't put people of say eggs and bacon for a couple of days to see what happens with monitoring I don't know (actually do the .......up Diet Heart Hypothesis, that cholesterol causes heart disease).

I was at 20 mmol/L and not given insulin and dropped to 16 whilst still eating banana and soda bread. We have got to do something about the varying standard of care. Glad you are ok now, please consider that you may not need drugs ultimately. If you do lower your carbs, be very careful, and take medical advice on your drug dosage, as you are a responder (which bodes well for the future).

Reactions: AloeSvea