Preventing BG spikes

Samara1

Hi,

I would really appreciate it if you could help me. I have noticed for the past 3 weeks that my Blood sugar rises quite high after eating. The amount of insulin I inject is correct as I go back to a “normal” figure after 4 hours, but I can rise from 5mmol to 13 … I do my injections 20 to 25mn before eating. It happens most of the time after my breakfast and after diner.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am far from understanding everything. I feel lost...

Thanks for your help.

S

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if you could help me. I have noticed for the past 3 weeks that my Blood sugar rises quite high after eating. The amount of insulin I inject is correct as I go back to a “normal” figure after 4 hours, but I can rise from 5mmol to 13 … I do my injections 20 to 25mn before eating. It happens most of the time after my breakfast and after diner.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am far from understanding everything. I feel lost...

Thanks for your help.

S

Which insulin are you using? If it's Novorapid, some people find that this is far from 'rapid.'

Samara1

Yes, I use novorapid. I don't know if it is due to the insuline or if it's my body that reacts differently to the food....

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Novarapid is slow. I inject in an hour before if I can. Also injecting into stomach or arm works quicker for me than the buttocks or thigh. It's recommended 20-30 mins prior to eating. I find I need much longer than that.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Yes, I use novorapid. I don't know if it is due to the insuline or if it's my body that reacts differently to the food....

Ok - well you could try different injection sites. If you currently use your stomach then try your legs or buttocks (as @kvetiny suggests) for a change.

If Novorapid really isn't working well for you, then maybe speak to your doc/endo about the situation and ask if you can try a different insulin like Humalog for example. There's always Fiasp too which is (reportedly) much quicker but I haven't tried it myself.

Samara1

I see, I'm just scared to wait so long before eatin. I developed a real fear for hypos episodes. I will try to wait a bit longer and see how it goes. Thanks

Samara1

Ok - well you could try different injection sites. If you currently use your stomach then try your legs or buttocks (as @kvetiny suggests) for a change.

If Novorapid really isn't working well for you, then maybe speak to your doc/endo about the situation and ask if you can try a different insulin like Humalog for example. There's always Fiasp too which is (reportedly) much quicker but I haven't tried it myself.
Thank you, I usually inject the novorapid in my stomach and levemir in my legs/buttocks. Will run few test and see how it goes...

Reactions: kvetiny

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Another option would be to review your diet to contain foods that take longer to digest and affect blood sugars such as higher fat, fibre, protein and low gi foods.