Variety? Or a select few things?

DevGuy

Hi all,
Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my other questions - big help!
Another one:
Do you eat a very wide variety of foods, or do you restrict yourself to a select 10-12 foods?
I find that keeping my choices limited allows me to better control my intake.
There is some scientific evidence to support the latter as well.
But keen to know how you go about this.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I already restrict what I eat by going low carb, so it makes sense to eat as wide a variety of low carb foods as possible. I control my intake by only eating once or twice a day.

Reactions: coby and DevGuy

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I eat a large variety of food.
With Type 1, I have the tool to manage carbs so don't limit my diet due to diabetes.
I get bored eating the same thing so have a very varied diet which I often introduce new recipes.

Reactions: DevGuy

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it depends on how you deal with food.

For me, I keep it limited - eggs, cheese, nuts (I have either macadamia or walnuts in the house usually), a small amount of fish, and green veg (cucumber, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale). I keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge so they're easy to get without thinking and planning.

I was veggie for several years and really don't much like meat at all, I've added fish back into my diet because I do like it and I know it's a good addition to my diet. Having the stuff I listed available means that I can just get something to eat without having to think about it. For me that's the key. One of the things I detest about Weight Watchers and their ilk is that they require you to be constantly thinking about food. The key, to me, is to make it something boring and routine. Not all of the time, but at least 80%.

People vary, that's what works for me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mainly meat, fish and eggs, sometimes cheese and berries with double cream. Nuts rarely.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually think that most people, diabetic or not tend to stick to the same 10 to 15 items of foods anyway. Some are far more adventurous than others but when I think about it, the staples if you like, tend to remain the same.

M

Member496333

I only eat animals or anything that came out of one, so not much variety, but I’m not a great believer in everything in moderation. Rather just eat more steak :hungry:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fortunately I enjoy cooking but I tend to buy the staples of meat fish eggs cheese and fresh vegetables and try to do different things with them .For instance mince beef can make burgers ,lasagne ,Bolognese ,meat balls ,all with low carb alternative s e.g. top layer of lasagne can be aubergine or celeriac slices ,courgette ,with lots of cheese sauce
Carol

Reactions: KK123

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I eat for nutrient density and pleasure. I see density as the foundation for supporting health and fitness, but insist (ala Mark Sisson) that food is enjoyable, so this morning was:
2 x PSMF Bread Sandwich:
  • Fish fillet
  • Seasoned Chicken (dinner left overs)

• Raspberries (around 12)
  • Chocolate Protein half bar (home made: toasted crushed nuts, toasted coconuts, coconut milk, 95 -100% melted dark chocolate mix)
I have variety now that I am aware of what I can tolerate and for non-medicated management (beetroot and garlic for BP (in my case)).

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its whatever works for you, and your meter.
Personally I love food and like a wide variety of new experiences, but I do see how a limited range could be useful to others.
I like growing food and cooking it too.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
To begin with I used to eat the same foods over and over, I had managed to turn my brain to believe food was just fuel and I only needed it to stay alive, I ate what was good for my blood numbers only, over time I added more and more, always lead by my numbers, foods became more varied and tastes changed. I cured myself by eating right.

It eventually all went wrong but that wasn’t low carb eatings fault, it was just me.