How many hypos a week do you have?

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I just had a hypo, nothing spectacular, just ate some dextrose and 2 plums so it's going up again :)

It got me wondering how many hypos do you (fellow T1s) experience? Libre says I had 33 in last 30 days and 70 in 90 days, is that way off? I've been swimming every day in August, so usually when I'd return I'd be down at 3.5 or something.

Thanks

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I just had a hypo, nothing spectacular, just ate some dextrose and 2 plums so it's going up again :)

It got me wondering how many hypos do you (fellow T1s) experience? Libre says I had 33 in last 30 days and 70 in 90 days, is that way off? I've been swimming every day in August, so usually when I'd return I'd be down at 3.5 or something.

Thanks

For 'me' that would be way off. I'd say on average I get less than 2 instances per month when I am below 4mmol but my last A1c was a little high at 7.5%. An average of more than 1 per day would interfere with life too much.

One thing though, I personally would not trust the Libre implicitly, have you done a finger prick to make sure the Libre is accurate?

Last edited:
Reactions: JustLucky

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I agree with Urbs - you need to verify the libre against a meter for accuracy for a hypo.

I have around 3-4 a week and it’s been reduced since using the Dexcom - don’t think I could cope with any more than that !

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right, I forgot that Libre numbers go down while I sleep on it. So maybe I can subtract 10, so I get 20 a, month... Still seems too much, ok probably I've become too relaxed lately. I'll try to do better. I'm just 10 months diabetic. :)

They say that drivers are most dangerous after the first 10000km, as then they become relaxed and confident, but still lack experience. Maybe need another 10000. So I suppose it is same with diabetes :cool:

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I have a couple a month. Hypos are dangerous.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Today Libre 1 has reported numerous hypos, in reality my blood glucose has probably averaged 6.0 mmol/L, and I have had one low blood sugar. The Libre sensor this 14 day period can go as low as
2.9mmol/L when my actual blood sugar with a finger prick test is 4.4 mmol/L
I finger prick test to verify, and I use XDrip via miao miao, which tends to read more accurately as it gets calibrated often.

These phantom lows are annoying, as it's what my nurse sees, if I do a finger prick test and it shows me to be in range, I add it as a note.

Reactions: Elaine karen

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had some phantoms too but I don't need a fingerprick to realize I'm really going down :wacky:

Actually today I have realized BG was probably going down after an afternoon nap, as libre showed 4.8 an hour after eating pasta and I've been sleeping... So I have eaten a small sandwich, but didn't eat anything faster acting. I should have eaten a small dextrose pill and a plum and avoid a hypo... But I didn't :bored:

That's what's great about libre, you can tell what's happening. But also need to use the info properly. :bag:

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
What I meant to imply is that if I were to solely rely on Libre for driving or to work, there would be occasions when Libre reports a low when in fact my BG is in range.
By carrying out a finger prick test and recording it, I can demonstrate that I am managing my T1 with diligence should my employer (or the police) need proof.
Don't get me wrong, there are times when Libre is bang on! (XDrip just mirrors the trend but is calibrated more accurately? I only use XDrip to supplement the other methods of checking my BG)

And, if you cannot drive because Libre reports you are low, you would have to confirm with a finger prick test, regardless of how you feel.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say at the moment 3 or 4 hypos a week is the average, sometimes more and sometimes less.
I once had a right talking to from a first aid trainer (in front of the whole class) about how many hypos I had, apparently that meant I wasn't taking care of myself properly :rolleyes:

Ashleine

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have possibly 2 every couple of months ....hypos are dangerous as everyone knows. I dont go there if at all possible.
Hba 51 time in target (6-10 ) 90%