lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi all,

I’ve been here hundreds of times but things have changed (I used to be a type 1)

Currently on Trulicity 0.75 weekly and Metformin 2000 and Empagflozin 10mg daily.

I was on insulin, but nothing seems to bring my levels down and steady, you know?

I’m looking back into low carb, but not keto.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I suffer with ibs and lactose intolerance.

Thank you so much.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I’ve been here hundreds of times but things have changed (I used to be a type 1)

Currently on Trulicity 0.75 weekly and Metformin 2000 and Empagflozin 10mg daily.

I was on insulin, but nothing seems to bring my levels down and steady, you know?

I’m looking back into low carb, but not keto.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I suffer with ibs and lactose intolerance.

Thank you so much.
You might find something like The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne might help ...

Reactions: lcarter

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I believe I had textbook ibs for years before diabetes, this was never diagnosed as I lived in houses for 15 years and had never seen a doctor, who knew one day I’d have my own parking space outside.

My ibs completely went away on low carb, nothing special, just the obvious high carb foods cut out, lots of meat and cheese and salads. I would read the thread on here where people list what they ate today for inspiration.

Not sure what contains lactose or the trulicity effects but I’ve low carbed on flozins without issues.

Best of luck, I hope you find a path that works for you.

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the IBS side, I have that & gluten intolerance, or had! The latter is not a problem now at all, as I have nothing with even a micro dot of gluten, but since going low carb, 70'ish, the IBS (and I'm touching wood) has not reared its ugly head either.

Of course, we're all very different & you have lactose intolerance to work around, but that is how I've found it with IBS.

I'm on 2000 Metformin, which I've tolerated surprisingly side effect free & I will add that I also take Omneprazole in the morning, because of taking Naproxen, I still had IBS & GI whilst taking those though, so I am putting it down to the LC.

Good luck with finding the right level for you.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi, I believe I had textbook ibs for years before diabetes, this was never diagnosed as I lived in houses for 15 years and had never seen a doctor, who knew one day I’d have my own parking space outside.

My ibs completely went away on low carb, nothing special, just the obvious high carb foods cut out, lots of meat and cheese and salads. I would read the thread on here where people list what they ate today for inspiration.

Not sure what contains lactose or the trulicity effects but I’ve low carbed on flozins without issues.

Best of luck, I hope you find a path that works for you.

Thankyou

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
From the IBS side, I have that & gluten intolerance, or had! The latter is not a problem now at all, as I have nothing with even a micro dot of gluten, but since going low carb, 70'ish, the IBS (and I'm touching wood) has not reared its ugly head either.

Of course, we're all very different & you have lactose intolerance to work around, but that is how I've found it with IBS.

I'm on 2000 Metformin, which I've tolerated surprisingly side effect free & I will add that I also take Omneprazole in the morning, because of taking Naproxen, I still had IBS & GI whilst taking those though, so I am putting it down to the LC.

Good luck with finding the right level for you.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean you have around 70g of carbs a day?

Thanks again!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that just eating meat?

I just picked up your quote from the other thread you have

I react to red meat and any kind of high fat meals with IBS and for that reason I avoid low carb. I just don’t want to be on all of this medication.

That on top of the gluten intolerance really puts you in a pinch.
How are you with eggs, fish & dairy ?

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Icarter, yes, 70g or a bit less of carbs.

@Ronancastled, I think I muddied the water a bit, as I mentioned gluten, Icarter actually has lactose intolerance.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas

I don’t have a gluten intolerance but I have a lactose intolerance…

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas

And I’m good with eggs and fish :)

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hello @Icarter, yes, 70g or a bit less of carbs.

@Ronancastled, I think I muddied the water a bit, as I mentioned gluten, Icarter actually has lactose intolerance.

I’m reading up on it all now. I don’t want to stay on Trulicity I feel vile. :( do you have any carbs or certain carbs?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another one who's ibs has mysteriously disappeared after going low carb (probably keto but I don't count). I used to think my ibs was made worse by lactose, but all the cream and cheese I eat now doesn't seem to affect it, I haven't had an episode in over a year.

I did have some ibs type pain the other night, but that was after eating a full sugar lemon meringue portion. I'm now thinking it was carbs set my ibs off...