Feeling tired

AlieE

Hello, I’ve not long been diagnosed a pre-diabetic and kinda ignored it. I am bouncing on and off the keto diet. I lost a stone in weight yippie but finding it tough to stick to. Im finding that I’m getting extremely tired all the time after eating. Physically can’t stay awake. Could this be due to the pre-diabetes? Should I be monitoring my bm? If yes what bm readings should a prediabetic have? What do you do if it’s high or low?

My GP has mentioned nothing about it monitoring bm.

My gp did refer me to a dietician who in turn gave no helpful advice just a referral to slimming world that was not running because of COVID. Useless. So I’m left to work it out for myself and not sure where to begin.

Can anyone advise?

Do pharmacies help with this sort of thing?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I’ve not long been diagnosed a pre-diabetic and kinda ignored it. I am bouncing on and off the keto diet. I lost a stone in weight yippie but finding it tough to stick to. Im finding that I’m getting extremely tired all the time after eating. Physically can’t stay awake. Could this be due to the pre-diabetes? Should I be monitoring my bm? If yes what bm readings should a prediabetic have? What do you do if it’s high or low?

My GP has mentioned nothing about it monitoring bm.

My gp did refer me to a dietician who in turn gave no helpful advice just a referral to slimming world that was not running because of COVID. Useless. So I’m left to work it out for myself and not sure where to begin.

Can anyone advise?

Do pharmacies help with this sort of thing?
What sort of meal plan are you following - what do you eat during typical day, for instance?

AlieE

What sort of meal plan are you following - what do you eat during typical day, for instance?

I’m trying to stay to low carb high fat but I’m not very good for example I had a pepperoni pizza for lunch today and zonked afterwards. For tea I had a tai green curry with cauliflower rice and again zonked afterwards.

AlieE

No but Amazon do.
Get yourself a meter & school up on testing.
Your being very proactive, this is exceptional on your part.

I’m tempted to get one but I won’t understand what it’s telling me so I’m cautious about spending on it because I won’t know what to do with the readings. Do prediabetics usually monitor?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I’m tempted to get one but I won’t understand what it’s telling me so I’m cautious about spending on it because I won’t know what to do with the readings. Do prediabetics usually monitor?

Many of the ones posting here do, at least while they are working out what food spikes your levels. At the moment, you've no way to tell whether your tiredness has anything to do with your blood sugar levels.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do prediabetics usually monitor?

Doctors will tell you no but members on here, including myself, will recommend the opposite.
It will be the best 25 quid you will ever spend, I can't impress this on you any more forcefully

AlieE

Doctors will tell you no but members on here, including myself, will recommend the opposite.
It will be the best 25 quid you will ever spend, I can't impress this on you any more forcefully

Right well that answers my question I will make that investment. Thank you very much.

What would be a good reading? When would it be too high or low? Do you take the reading straight after you have eaten or wait a bit?

Or simpler question where do you recommend turning to in order to learn how to interpret the results?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Right well that answers my question I will make that investment. Thank you very much.

What would be a good reading? When would it be too high or low? Do you take the reading straight after you have eaten or wait a bit?

Or simpler question where do you recommend turning to in order to learn how to interpret the results?

You want a less than 2mmol/L rise between first bite of meal and 2 hours after.
And here's a link to targets before meals etc
Normal and Diabetic Blood Sugar Level Ranges - Blood Sugar Levels for Diabetes

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm pre-diabetic. The GP told me in June after a routine set of blood tests. I pretty much straight away got myself on here and did a lot of reading - there is SO MUCH helpful information in these forums* with people who will explain things and walk you through it.

I got a meter, and a free app to record the numbers it gave me, and learned what my body likes and doesn't like, what it is willing to consider and what it flat out refuses to even look at.

Every one is individual - you know how well you'll deal with numbers and information - but I am far happier doing my home work and taking control of as much as I can and not relying on the GP/NHS for everything. There is plenty of information out there and a lot of people to help you navigate it, if that is the route you decide to take.

*Shush Resident Blokeshape, I speak English, not Latin, it's forums not fora!

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, if I eat too many carbs, and my blood sugar goes high as a result, I can NOT stay awake at all. I understand this feeling. A nap usually has me feeling much better. Some people find that a walk after eating helps. I also notice this utter exhaustion at postprandial (post-meal) levels that are "okay" for T2D (like 7.0), so some people are just more sensitive than others, it seems. A metre will help you figure out what is normal for you, how different foods affect you, etc.