Worried Newb

Sticksman

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic from a blood test taken in August after which I started a strict low carb diet and increased exercise. I was told to repeat the blood test in a few months time and encouraged to get on with losing weight. My blood test results were 43mmo/6.1%. I bought a glucose monitor this week to check on my progress and I have taken a reading before breakfast each day. The readings have been 5.9, 6.1 and today 7.0. I seem to be going backwards. Is it me or the meter?

sgm14

A couple of points.
  • There are so many factors that affect your blood glucose that you can not detect a trend based on just three readings.
  • Meters are not 100% accurate and the difference between 5.9 and 6.1 is insignificant.
So I think you are worrying too much. You have already taken the recommended steps, which is all you can really do.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome

you could try taking a reading before a meal, then again two hours after to get an idea of how you are doing, personally I would not do it in the morning, our livers dump glucose into our blood in the morning or when we are hungry to “help” us.

so maybe try a different time of day, but another Hba1c would be better, when are you due another?

Edit, sorry I see you’ve just had the test in August, keep testing with you meter, well done for changing your diet, you are doing the right thing.

Reactions: EllieM

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Sticksman
As others have said there are many things that can affect our levels, they can and do change all the time so a single test result just give you a rough idea of what your level is at that time. If on the other hand you add a few more tests you would have some useful data that you can use. For example, this morning your level was 7 before breakfast. If you had taken a reading at 1 hour and again at 2 hours after your breakfast, using the three readings you will have learned how your breakfast has affected your levels. Some just do the pre meal and 2hr post meal tests, personally when I'm testing a meal or food for the first time I like to know how high it takes me so I also test at 1hr.