Type 2 Do diabetic neuropathy symptoms come and go? (fluctuating symptoms)

Luise151

D2 for 8 years. I am experiencing some symptoms compatible with neuropathy such as mild burning in some areas of the foot and little finger of the left hand, but they disappear for a few weeks and reappear. I don't know if this is neuropathy or maybe I'm obsessing over it and imagining things that are not.
I appreciate your help.

Reactions: Dinet

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is possible to reverse mild neuropathy and certainly possible to reduce the future risk.
Do you measure your blood sugars regularly? How are your test results? What meds if any are you on? How many carbs do your usually eat per day and per meal?

Luise151

It is possible to reverse mild neuropathy and certainly possible to reduce the future risk.
Do you measure your blood sugars regularly? How are your test results? What meds if any are you on? How many carbs do your usually eat per day and per meal?
Hi Tricia.
My A1c fluctuates between 6.5 % and 7 % almost always, my glycemia in the mornings are 120 and in post-pandrial do not exceed 200. I do not keep an exact carbohydrate count but I only eat whole carbohydrates. I currently take 1 daily dose of 800 metformin before going to bed.
Are these fluctuating symptoms a mild neuropathy? or when the nerve is affected the symptoms should be constant?

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can't diagnose, we are not allowed, but I have non-diabetic neuropathy - caused by a long undiagnosed folic acid deficiency. My symptoms do vary.
It does not matter what type of carbs you eat, they are all converted to glucose and too much net carbs (ie carbs minus fibre) are a problem for T2s.
If you don't already you might find it helpful to count carbs to reduce your blood sugar. The amount a person can manage is very individual, in my case I find by testing that I could have a maximum of 85g a day and no more than 30g per meal but I know others need to eat less.

Reactions: Dinet

Luise151

Thanks for your answer Tricia,
Then i assume that the symptoms of a neuropathy are fluctuating, therefore I must have some mild neuropathy.
I will learn to count carbohydrates and be able to find my numbers.
Thanks for your answer and your advice.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You diabetic nurse or GP can advise - I had a referral to a neurologist and nerve conduction tests to confirm mine. It was the neurologist who finally ordered the B12 and folic acid tests as well. He was not amused and wrote a curt note to my GP.

Luise151

Congratulations on finding a good neurologist who ordered the correct test for your diagnosis. In my case my neurologist said that I am fine, but I distrust the diagnosis because the vast majority of doctors (even many neurologists) are not experts in diabetes, if the symptoms are not sufficiently noticeable they tend to downplay them, that is why I prefer to ask them people who have experienced it firsthand.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In my experience going low carb is the best way to avoid developing, or worsening, diabetic side effects and complications. And it is easier to do than many believe. No need to feel hungry and a long list of things we eat, including decent substitutes for many carb heavy foods.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D2 for 8 years. I am experiencing some symptoms compatible with neuropathy such as mild burning in some areas of the foot and little finger of the left hand, but they disappear for a few weeks and reappear. I don't know if this is neuropathy or maybe I'm obsessing over it and imagining things that are not.
I appreciate your help.
Keep in mind that metformin reduces B12 uptake, so with your current issues, it'd be seriously worthwhile to explore that further.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Thanks for your answer Tricia,
Then i assume that the symptoms of a neuropathy are fluctuating, therefore I must have some mild neuropathy.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the symptoms are neuropathy after 8 years of good control. (Speaking after 51 years of T1 with control that has frequently been much worse than yours). Have you spoken to your GP to check for non diabetic reasons for the symptoms?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
High triglycerides can exacerbate or cause neuropathy: this was the case for me- hyperlipidemia was the issue. Once I got my trigs back to normal levels, my neuropathy (which had been fairly severe) gradually dissipated.

Luise151

[QUOTE = "JoKalsbeek, publicación: 2438176, miembro: 401801"] Tenga en cuenta que la metformina reduce la absorción de B12, por lo que con sus problemas actuales, valdría la pena explorarlo más a fondo. [/ QUOTE]
Keep in mind that metformin reduces B12 uptake, so with your current issues, it'd be seriously worthwhile to explore that further.
Hi JoKalsbeek, thanks for your answer, I will ask my GP

Reactions: Arsenal79

Luise151

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the symptoms are neuropathy after 8 years of good control. (Speaking after 51 years of T1 with control that has frequently been much worse than yours). Have you spoken to your GP to check for non diabetic reasons for the symptoms?
hi EllieM, yes, he tells me that it may be anxiety because the tests are going well, but I can really feel mild symptoms, I don't know if it has something to do with fine fiber neuropathy and this is just the beginning and little by little it becomes more painful or more serious, that is my fear.

Luise151

High triglycerides can exacerbate or cause neuropathy: this was the case for me- hyperlipidemia was the issue. Once I got my trigs back to normal levels, my neuropathy (which had been fairly severe) gradually dissipated.
Hi Geordie_P, my triglycerides are really good, maybe my cholesterol is not so good which is borderline acceptable but I don't take statins because once I tried them but I had strong symptoms such as muscle spasms and cramps, so I decided to leave them.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hopeful34, I don't take statins because when I did I had strong symptoms like muscle cramps and spasms. I have not made any diet changes lately.
Sorry i should have replied to the post from Geordie_P

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you do this by using statins or by diet? Am interested as I have neuropathy.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi that's what I'm going through right now I have neuropathy all over the body. I've been doing low carb since Christmas last year and all of sudden bam I've been hit with a burning and stinging pain in my arms back stomach. it also feels like I a lump feeling in the throat. I've been to the doctors and they said it to was anxiety but I feel it's more to it than that. I've got blood tests a week away I'm so bloody frustrated by this has I'm low carbin to better myself now this. Annoying trying to get the docs to listen but it's like they don't want the hassle. Hope you find answers soon like myself. Take care.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi that's what I'm going through right now I have neuropathy all over the body. I've been doing low carb since Christmas last year and all of sudden bam I've been hit with a burning and stinging pain in my arms back stomach. it also feels like I a lump feeling in the throat. I've been to the doctors and they said it to was anxiety but I feel it's more to it than that. I've got blood tests a week away I'm so bloody frustrated by this has I'm low carbin to better myself now this. Annoying trying to get the docs to listen but it's like they don't want the hassle. Hope you find answers soon like myself. Take care.
That sounds awful Arsenal79. Did it come on gradually over time or all at once? Maybe you are allergic to something in your present diet?

Reactions: Arsenal79