Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Hi,

I volunteer at an animal park. (Not going to say where to protect them) but i'm very annoyed at them as basically Friday i had a bad hyplogycemia event when i was doing a job. At the time the staff that got involved were confused. I had to have a meeting today but unfortuantley they said i can't do my volunteering work for them because to them it seemed i don't like any staff members helping as it's according to the one in charge (not even from the department i volunteer in) it makes me vulnerable. I told them when i first joined as a volunteer i was diabetic type 1. I also where a medical alert bracelet saying about my diabeties as well. I've been volunteering there for around 2 years and this is the only time something has happened. It's also not that i don't like help. It's that when i get hyplogycemia. I get quite irratable and confused. ( i did used to get shaky and pale but i don't always get that when i have hypos anymore) which is what probably makes it look like i pushed them away but you can't exactly prevent that. It doesn't seem like they understand that. Although if they actual talked to more of my colleagues i have worked with. They would know that. It just seems to me their unfairly not letting me do my volunteering just because of my diabeties or it feels like i'm at fault for having diabeties. It's not over as we are going to talk more at end of the week as my mum wants to speak to them. Do any of you guys have any advice/tips before speaking again?

Reactions: LionChild

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, how sad. Try to explain that being hypo means you lose control of your brain power and can be aggressive without being aware. Onylyonce in 2 years implies you aren't making an issue of being T1. I hope they see sense.

mh234

It seems to me that you are young, I feel for you.. I think the talks are about how they can support your diabetes and volunteering. Make a short summary of your condition, let them know, I might have missed that it was already discussed in which case, keep going. I think irritability is part of the sugar fluctuations, but you can also do self-referral to psychological services and they'll go through cognitive distortions, for the mind. Good diabetes control should help. Journal, go for walks.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I volunteer at an animal park. (Not going to say where to protect them) but i'm very annoyed at them as basically Friday i had a bad hyplogycemia event when i was doing a job. At the time the staff that got involved were confused. I had to have a meeting today but unfortuantley they said i can't do my volunteering work for them because to them it seemed i don't like any staff members helping as it's according to the one in charge (not even from the department i volunteer in) it makes me vulnerable. I told them when i first joined as a volunteer i was diabetic type 1. I also where a medical alert bracelet saying about my diabeties as well. I've been volunteering there for around 2 years and this is the only time something has happened. It's also not that i don't like help. It's that when i get hyplogycemia. I get quite irratable and confused. ( i did used to get shaky and pale but i don't always get that when i have hypos anymore) which is what probably makes it look like i pushed them away but you can't exactly prevent that. It doesn't seem like they understand that. Although if they actual talked to more of my colleagues i have worked with. They would know that. It just seems to me their unfairly not letting me do my volunteering just because of my diabeties or it feels like i'm at fault for having diabeties. It's not over as we are going to talk more at end of the week as my mum wants to speak to them. Do any of you guys have any advice/tips before speaking again?
That seems discriminatory as they haven't made any reasonable allowance for your condition and I think you've had issues before re carrying of hypo prevention snacks?
If you are in the UK I'd get Diabetes UK involved as I believe they can act or advise you in some capacity. You're not after money obviously but this is about fairness and about educating the ignorant. I'd hope they would not treat a person with a more visible condition in this way either but it seems as though they haven't thought it through.
Don't let this silliness get you down and I really hope you can carry on doing what you love.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that might be relevant is if they have an Equal Opportunities Policy. If they do, it would typically prohibit exactly what they’ve done.

The thing is just pointing this out, might not be enough to have them reconsider their position.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think irritability is part of the sugar fluctuations, but you can also do self-referral to psychological services and they'll go through cognitive distortions, for the mind.
When having a hypo, the brain simply doesn't function right. So being unreasonable when your blood glucose is low is something completely different from irritability.
Many people even get angry or combative when hypo, this is as uncontrollable as convulsions, and no psychological counselling can change behaviour when your brain simply doesn't have the fuel to function.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, how sad. Try to explain that being hypo means you lose control of your brain power and can be aggressive without being aware. Onylyonce in 2 years implies you aren't making an issue of being T1. I hope they see sense.
When it happened me and my mums wrote an email of wha
yeah exactly. Also what my mum did straight away was sending a letter on Saturday. The day after it happened and it explained a lot of stuff including how hypos affect diabetics

I found this video (and the text) from Diabetes UK useful to explain a hypo.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/complications/hypos
Thanks

It seems to me that you are young, I feel for you.. I think the talks are about how they can support your diabetes and volunteering. Make a short summary of your condition, let them know, I might have missed that it was already discussed in which case, keep going. I think irritability is part of the sugar fluctuations, but you can also do self-referral to psychological services and they'll go through cognitive distortions, for the mind. Good diabetes control should help. Journal, go for walks.
As I said to Daibell me and my mum have done that along with what to do if it did happen and how I will try to prevent it (like ussual)

That seems discriminatory as they haven't made any reasonable allowance for your condition and I think you've had issues before re carrying of hypo prevention snacks?
If you are in the UK I'd get Diabetes UK involved as I believe they can act or advise you in some capacity. You're not after money obviously but this is about fairness and about educating the ignorant. I'd hope they would not treat a person with a more visible condition in this way either but it seems as though they haven't thought it through.
Don't let this silliness get you down and I really hope you can carry on doing what you love.
yes I did used to have issues but after speaking to one of my colleagues that used to be in charge before his job changed, he allowed me to carry stuff in my pocket.
One thing that might be relevant is if they have an Equal Opportunities Policy. If they do, it would typically prohibit exactly what they’ve done.

The thing is just pointing this out, might not be enough to have them reconsider their position.
I’ve never heard of that policy. What does that policy mean?

When having a hypo, the brain simply doesn't function right. So being unreasonable when your blood glucose is low is something completely different from irritability.
Many people even get angry or combative when hypo, this is as uncontrollable as convulsions, and no psychological counselling can change behaviour when your brain simply doesn't have the fuel to function.
Yeah

Also the park should be aware of this stuff anyway because a lot of there visitors are young kids especially in the holidays. The thing is they could have visitors without knowing they have Diabeties in most days as you can’t tell a diabetic without looking at them. Also animals can also get Diabeties. Perhaps that’s why my colleague in the animal department understood back when I talked about having things in my pocket because Mabye Diabeties is similar in animals as well?, However the CEO is in charge of the park but doesn’t often get involved with the jobs I do. That’s down to the head of the department. The CEO has recently changed as she is quite new but she’s been there for at least a couple of months.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When it happened me and my mums wrote an email of wha

yeah exactly. Also what my mum did straight away was sending a letter on Saturday. The day after it happened and it explained a lot of stuff including how hypos affect diabetics

Thanks

As I said to Daibell me and my mum have done that along with what to do if it did happen and how I will try to prevent it (like ussual)

yes I did used to have issues but after speaking to one of my colleagues that used to be in charge before his job changed, he allowed me to carry stuff in my pocket.

I’ve never heard of that policy. What does that policy mean?

Yeah

Also the park should be aware of this stuff anyway because a lot of there visitors are young kids especially in the holidays. The thing is they could have visitors without knowing they have Diabeties in most days as you can’t tell a diabetic without looking at them. Also animals can also get Diabeties. Perhaps that’s why my colleague in the animal department understood back when I talked about having things in my pocket because Mabye Diabeties is similar in animals as well?, However the CEO is in charge of the park but doesn’t often get involved with the jobs I do. That’s down to the head of the department. The CEO has recently changed as she is quite new but she’s been there for at least a couple of months.
Basically most charities and voluntary organisations end up having an equal opportunities policy. “Displaying an equal opportunities policy shows commitment to equal opportunities and tackling discrimination within a workplace. It ensures that employees and managers are informed about equal opportunities and explains the consequences of non-compliance to the policy.”

This applies to Volunteers to, because Volunteers are entitled to fair treatment. Whether pointing this out would change anything positively for you though is impossible to say.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
The following took place when I was a student in 1979:
my father put his head round the door to check progress. He found me with the top of my head on the floor, followed by most of my torso. He managed to get me back on the bed and then tried to give me warm sweet tea. I hit him. Apparently it took both my parents to hold me against the wall and get some in. Had they the luxury of a Glucagon injection, I’m sure they would have used it. My father did his National Service at Haslar, the onshore naval establishment at Portsmouth. He was trained as a nurse and used to give up to three hundred penicillin injections a day.

Similar to a drunk, a diabetic can become violent when accosted. This is because the brain translates well-intended actions into attack. When faced with a semi-conscious person it is unwise to offer questions or statements which require reasoning or choice. Do not say “Do you think you ought to have some sugar?” The sheer effort of making a judgement is enough to cause unpredictable reactions. In my 40s I burst into tears (a rare occurrence) when in a hypoglycaemic condition, simply because I was expected to make rational responses. Instead you should say something like “You need sugar, here is some.”

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The following took place when I was a student in 1979:
my father put his head round the door to check progress. He found me with the top of my head on the floor, followed by most of my torso. He managed to get me back on the bed and then tried to give me warm sweet tea. I hit him. Apparently it took both my parents to hold me against the wall and get some in. Had they the luxury of a Glucagon injection, I’m sure they would have used it. My father did his National Service at Haslar, the onshore naval establishment at Portsmouth. He was trained as a nurse and used to give up to three hundred penicillin injections a day.

Similar to a drunk, a diabetic can become violent when accosted. This is because the brain translates well-intended actions into attack. When faced with a semi-conscious person it is unwise to offer questions or statements which require reasoning or choice. Do not say “Do you think you ought to have some sugar?” The sheer effort of making a judgement is enough to cause unpredictable reactions. In my 40s I burst into tears (a rare occurrence) when in a hypoglycaemic condition, simply because I was expected to make rational responses. Instead you should say something like “You need sugar, here is some.”

yeah. I’ve always known it can make it seem odd. The couple of times I have had it happen before at the park I’ve been able to sort it out . That’s how I know it can make you irratable and annoyed as I got annoyed verbally at a meerkat once and I knew that wasn’t like me at all. Friday was literally the only time it’s happened where It got to the point I needed help as all the times before I’ve sorted it myself.

before lockdown I was also volunteering in another place a doggy daycare and like a year ago. One of the staff there noticed I was being weaker/a bit clumsy at cleaning . I was beginning to realise my levels were probably low and walked off without saying anything to the staff room. The staff member checked if I was alright but didn’t ask why I walked off, a few mins after I just said I needed 15 mins. He was completely fine with it. Eventually I sorted it and went home. The owner understood so I was still able to volunteer there after just unfortunately because of the pandemic there not very busy so don’t need any volunteers at the moment.

so the animal park is literally the only place this incident has happened.

once I got knocked of my bike as well because a driver reversed into me. However turns out my blood was low as well. A bystander that saw was confused as I seemed fine and my ankle was unstable but couldn’t talk. However he did notice my alert bracelet. So followed what it said and then things eventually got better. Turns out my ankles get unstable sometimes when my bloods low not all the time.

This is why I don’t get the park because they should of been able to sort it as my other volunteering place and a bystander have understood what to do. In Similar incidents in previous times. I actually wonder if at the park if the staff hadn’t noticed and a visitor told them would they of behaved differently? Or if there was a visitors near that area they could of asked if they saw anything odd. Unfortunately that day it was raining on and off so hardly any visitors were in. So that’s why I think the staff found out first. They should really have more CCTV cameras too because then they could see what happened fully when incidents happen. But I guess the reason they don’t have much CCTV is so animals don’t chew the wires.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Basically most charities and voluntary organisations end up having an equal opportunities policy. “Displaying an equal opportunities policy shows commitment to equal opportunities and tackling discrimination within a workplace. It ensures that employees and managers are informed about equal opportunities and explains the consequences of non-compliance to the policy.”

This applies to Volunteers to, because Volunteers are entitled to fair treatment. Whether pointing this out would change anything positively for you though is impossible to say.
Just thought I’d update you as, I was reaserching and turns out they do have an equal opportunities policy as it’s on their website and it mentions it also applies to volunteers.

Reactions: EllieM

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I’d update you as, I was reaserching and turns out they do have an equal opportunities policy as it’s on their website and it mentions it also applies to volunteers.
Employers can and will cut your hours worked down to zero, this applies to casuals and volunteers legally if they do not require your services. All it needs is your job description being made redundant.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As they've explicitly told you they're removing you because of the possibility Low Blood Sugar occurring, a possibility that Diabetic can never completely eliminate, it does seem like they are in contravention of this policy*. So you could flag this, but again, I'm not sure if that will change anything positively for you.

*For instance, it wouldn't be out of the question for them to ask you to take extra care, like the DVLA does. The fact they haven't shows an unwillingness on their part to be part of a solution.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Employers can and will cut your hours worked down to zero, this applies to casuals and volunteers legally if they do not require your services. All it needs is your job description being made redundant.

You make a good point but you are in Australia and the @Lulu9101112a is in the UK. Not sure whether the legalities are quite the same (speaking as someone who's had a home in UK, Australia and now NZ :)).

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am sorry you have been treated like this. I hope a gentle approach will work, but basically they are wrong and in breach of UK law.
Some charities do not realise their legal liabilities, and that volunteers are covered in the same way as paid employees.
Under current UK law, which may change as it is based on EU law, they are required to make reasonable adjustments for any disability, and diabetes is included. If they do not they are liable. Unfortunately the UK opted to make any legal action civil and the responsibility to take action is with the disabled individual. However any diabetes charity will be able to explain your rights and help guide you - in some cases they provide free legal aid too.

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
They are not permitted to act in that manner under the Equal Opportunities Act, they are REQUIRED to make “reasonable adjustments” in order to allow you to work there. That applies even to volunteers as they are still deemed to be working. Contact the Equal Opportunities Commission and discuss this with them. They will advise you how to tackle it and what to seek to “ensure your satisfaction”. If after the period allotted you are NOT satisfied they will take action on your behalf.

They are very helpful and backed me over an issue with my headteacher. They wrote a letter, gave him three weeks to make the reasonable adjustments and told me if I was not satisfied the legal summons would drop on his desk, and that he would lose as a diabetic is one of the worked examples.

Use them it’s all free and very helpful.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en

As regards aggression, it is a known symptom that is featured in the First Aid at Work Training video, so there is no excuse there either. Statistically they must expect 5% of their staff and visitors to be T1 diabetic as that is the national statistic.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-11/diabetes_in_the_uk_2010.pdf

No excuse is acceptable “Even” for diabetics.

That is precisely the reason why Diabetes U.K. is so important - they are there to help educate prejudiced people that diabetics are normal people.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As regards aggression, it is a known symptom that is featured in the First Aid at Work Training video, so there is no excuse there either

Interestingly enough I was reading the results of several Employment tribunals today concerning people with diabetes, one of them featured a man who became very aggressive with a colleague, ended up getting the sack following a misconduct procedure then claimed for unfair dismissal on the basis he had acted like this because his glucose levels were high which sent him into a 'diabetic rage'. His levels had been around 9/10 at the time (in my mind hardly high enough for that but who knows). He won his case.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Statistically they must expect 5% of their staff and visitors to be T1 diabetic as that is the national statistic.

I think that's the figure for diabetes as a whole. Roughly 10% of these will be T1, so you are talking 0.5%.

Penquin47210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think that's the figure for diabetes as a whole. Roughly 10% of these will be T1, so you are talking 0.5%.

Those are the figures from Diabetes U.K., the % of the U.K. population with T1 has been quoted as 2.5% to 4.5% for more than 40 years.

T2 distorts the overall figures heavily….