What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings one and all on the Anniversary of the Greatest Day in the Battle of Britain. Surprised Bless 'Im hasn't made it a half hol with lashings of ginger beer. 31 mm of rain here yesterday, even more in Newmarket but we spent quite some time in Bury St Edmunds . Goose salad, much binding in the marsh and knees but I am here and relatively mobile - always a winner. Good news on the salt @Krystyna23040; the rain @lindisfel and the van @dunelm. PG Tips advert was a classic but reciting passages may invalidate clauses in the life cover so I advise caution. Stay well away from Cribbins B*. Much tea needed for #kneegate and major decision over if eating goose curry is just asking for trouble. Fashionable Plan B can be implemented if knees are overwhelmed. Fbg is a known unknown - ubiquitous phrase, thanks Rummy. MIL being released Thursday subject to no relapse and this shambles passing an inspection. Just the ideal day as I have my retinal scan and we have 3 grandchildren with assorted bugs from school and nursery - most likely source of RSV. Still, the wheels on the bus etc, etc.
* Lyrics @gennepher

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I agree, cramp attacks at 3pm are definitely not pleasant.

I was very pleased that one expert (Dr Malhotra) believes that low salt is not good for you. He says - 'This superb book busts many misconceptions around salt consumption. It's a must read. -- Dr Aseem Malhotra, Consultant Cardiologist and adviser to the UK's National Obesity Forum'.

He is definitely one expert that talks a lot of sense.

The problem is that the bodies survival system is for a normal functioning body and the adrenal glands rapidly increase aldosterone to retain the sodium balance.

Too much aldosterone is damaging to the body, I know my adenal glands produce 20x the normal amount.:)
D.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a damp yet promising start here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of meatballs in praise of Pastafarianism slid under the wire at 5.8 this am

It’s International Bin Day again and already General Waste Bin is out patrolling the end of the drive and muttering about damp squibs. Mrs Miggins has the bit between her teeth and has borrowed her brothers van for the week. Things are beginning to move, probably up to the shipping container that we have the use of where our daughter works. Hope it’s all stuff that we don’t usually need on a daily basis - like the bathroom, but you never know. I shall busy myself by staying out of the way and reciting snippets from past PG Tips adverts, Mr Shifter.

Bit of a tree this morning. The rest of it resides in our park. Have a wonderful Wednesday, it’s Irish Kofee day.

View attachment 51164
Wonderful trees in your park @dunelm
You have done it justice...

Looks like a 'fun' time ahead...your move.,.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.6

My bathroom rung through Snapseed...
Now I am gone......

E463315D-B5AA-4D05-8D59-AB08D1985F7B.jpeg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good national bin day Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A calculation causing 4.3 this morning, sliderule etc, etc etc, might as well guess, or guesstimate my insulin dosage. Note to me and me's potential activity has a large effect on my blood sugars. Lots of walking scheduled for today.

@ianpspurs Mrs J thanks you, NSID. Arn't TLA's wonderful :)

Starting plinky plonky lessons again today after a few weeks break due medical stuff, mine and Mrs J. I should be saying goodbye to Hotel California and moving on to a little Beethoven, not sure which piece.

Hi Alf,
Its more likely to be low potassium rather than low salt causing cramps. The body has mechanisms to retain sodium.
That is one of functions of the feedback ACE system and the adrenal glands production of aldosterone.
D.
Thanks, but another side effect of one of my anti rejection drugs, Neoral is raised potassium levels, I am not allowed to eat bananas on a regular basis, yes, quantum mechanics is easy compared to balancing my stuff.

Have a great day, hugs if required, bark at the postman if you wish and above all stay safe.

Reactions: karen8967

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs Mrs J thanks you, NSID. Arn't TLA's wonderful :) Part 2: and above all stay safe.
Hug for the insulin dosage issue and hopefully not for those in earshot of plinky plonky. All the right notes but maybe not necessarily in the right order Mr Preview. NSID - pick one (no prizes for my choice:angelic: ) Part 2: from what and how? It's always the unknown unknowns, you boffins know that. Boffin school 101:banghead:

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
6.45am FBG 5.6
Monday's jobs list was going down nicely until I had to get off the mower to move a wheelbarrow that someone(me)had left in the way. On the concrete patch I was where I was going to put the mower were three baby hedgehogs. Many of you will be aware that a hoglet out in daylight is in distress and,or danger.
Anyway that was the end of mowing monday.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
8.50am FBG 5.6
Hedgehogs taking up an inordinate amount of time. Have to supervise them in the late afternoon when they should still be asleep but some have taken to coming out early. This puts them in great danger of flystrike and I am kept busy alternatively wafting off flies and moving the pile of hay that is meant to protect the uncooperative little beasts.
Will try and post story and pics later

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It aĺl depends how your feedback systems work. If you have low aldosterone you will have low sodium and will lose sodium in the your pee.

If you lose potassium due to adrenal disease causing high sodium people die due to hypertension and high salt in tissue due low potassium damaging the heart, lungs and circulatory system.
Health context is everything.
Aseem Malhotra is talking in context.

This is one of the ways a lot blood pressure drugs work to reduce sodium and aldosterone.

Anyone having problems with high blood pressure should not increase their salt intake without GP advice.
They may have Conn's syndrome as I have due to a 30mm adrenal tumour.

I discovered this after thirty years of incorrect treaments and it was too late to take the tumour out which is a potential cure of high blood pressure.
Not being correctly diagnosed is appalling - especially as the doctors must have had many opportunities over the thirty years to make the correct diagnosis.

Of course you are right that health context is everything and that increasing salt isn't right for everyone. Do you have to aim for zero salt - or are you allowed some salt in your diet?

lindisfel

Expert
Not being correctly diagnosed is appalling - especially as the doctors must have had many opportunities over the thirty years to make the correct diagnosis.

Of course you are right that health context is everything and that increasing salt isn't right for everyone. Do you have to aim for zero salt - or are you allowed some salt in your diet?

I get most of my salt from eggs and some small quantities of cheese, I aim for below 2 grams per day and 4.7 grams of potassium. 0.8 of a gram of sodium is about right.
Going out is a problem!

Otherwise I take 100 grams of Eplerenone and 50 mgs of Losartan to try and stop aldosterone going into receptors. Zero salt is hardly possible and not recommended.
Conns has caused heart problems, kidney disease, and likely a collapsed lung.

Most patients have had a stroke or heart attack by 82! :);)
D.

lindisfel

Expert
Good national bin day Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.

A calculation causing 4.3 this morning, sliderule etc, etc etc, might as well guess, or guesstimate my insulin dosage. Note to me and me's potential activity has a large effect on my blood sugars. Lots of walking scheduled for today.

@ianpspurs Mrs J thanks you, NSID. Arn't TLA's wonderful :)

Starting plinky plonky lessons again today after a few weeks break due medical stuff, mine and Mrs J. I should be saying goodbye to Hotel California and moving on to a little Beethoven, not sure which piece.

Thanks, but another side effect of one of my anti rejection drugs, Neoral is raised potassium levels, I am not allowed to eat bananas on a regular basis, yes, quantum mechanics is easy compared to balancing my stuff.

Have a great day, hugs if required, bark at the postman if you wish and above all stay safe.
Your cheerfulnes is a lesson to all us wingers, Alf!

Reactions: alf_Josiah

lindisfel

Expert
5.0 this morning. Got back from dog walk just before the rain started so am now sitting with a coffee in the conservatory listening to the rain beating on the roof.

I have an Amazon kindle and am a bit concerned that Amazon can now read my mind.

I have been mulling over a conundrum. I have a long term issue with salt. I was prescribed salt tablets when I was 16 to prevent horrendous cramps and salt still does almost instantly stop the cramps. My problem is that the only salted food I like is mackerel so my salt intake remains low.

The conundrum is that low salt is healthy for your heart, but when I have a low salt day my resting heart rate is dramatically higher and so are after meal blood sugars. I was mulling this over and thinking that when I have time I would research this. Then I opened my Kindle fire and the book they suggested was The Salt Fix. How spooky is that.

Of course I had to order it immediately and was horrified to read in the first few pages that low salt causes an increase in resting heart rate and insulin resistance. Now that is scary, especially as I thought I was being so healthy with the low salt intake.

Actually, I have always remembered (and ignored because I don't like salt) that the doctor told me when he prescribed salt tablets that I must always remember that my heart was a muscle and that muscles need salt. I hopefully will manage to read a bit more of the book.

My resting heart is steady 60! But if they stop the pacemaker it drops to 40 and sometimes keeps forgetting to start for a few seconds!

D.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8.50am FBG 5.6
Hedgehogs taking up an inordinate amount of time. Have to supervise them in the late afternoon when they should still be asleep but some have taken to coming out early. This puts them in great danger of flystrike and I am kept busy alternatively wafting off flies and moving the pile of hay that is meant to protect the uncooperative little beasts.
Will try and post story and pics later
Would love to see pictures of the little hedgehogs you have rescued.

Reactions: lindisfel

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I get most of my salt from eggs and some small quantities of cheese, I aim for below 2 grams per day and 4.7 grams of potassium. 0.8 of a gram of sodium is about right.
Going out is a problem!

Otherwise I take 100 grams of Eplerenone and 50 mgs of Losartan to try and stop aldosterone going into receptors. Zero salt is hardly possible and not recommended.
Conns has caused heart problems, kidney disease, and likely a collapsed lung.

Most patients have had a stroke or heart attack by 82! :);)
D.
Yes, eating out must be a real problem. You are right that zero salt is impossible - so it is good that the potassium dose allows you to have some salt.
I had never heard of Conns Syndrome before and have just looked it up on Google. I think you have done really well to avoid a heart attack or stroke.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My resting heart is steady 60! But if they stop the pacemaker it drops to 40 and sometimes keeps forgetting to start for a few seconds!

D.
Your resting heart rate with the pacemaker is really good. It is a brilliant device.