Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Here is a list of some different types of diabetes other than T1 and T2

Maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY)
Cystic Fibrosis-related Diabetes (CFRD)
Neonatal diabetes.
Wolfram Syndrome.
Alström Syndrome.
Latent Autoimmune diabetes in Adults (LADA)
Type 3c diabetes.
Steroid-induced diabetes.

My type on the list is the last one Steroid induced diabetes which used to be classified as Type 3E some while ago.

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some viral infections attack the pancreas I believe leading to type 1? It has me side eyeing reported onset after COVID but I’m not sure if would be a direct attack or trigger of an autoimmune response?
Absolutely viral infections attack the pancreas - and I’m a case in point. I was exposed to ‘Chlamydia Pneumoniae’ from a bacterial infected hotel room air conditioning system. As a consequence I suffered pneumonia, heart failure and damage to my pancreas. I’m now diagnosed as ‘unclassified diabetic’ but am treated as in T2 and inject 42U daily of Tresiba. The relationship of viral infections and diabetes is not fully understood but I can say with some certainty that viral infections can be catastrophic and cause a domino effect. One of the interesting spin offs about COVID is that there is more awareness of the impact that virus’ can have. Virus’ are a known trigger.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely viral infections attack the pancreas - and I’m a case in point. I was exposed to ‘Chlamydia Pneumoniae’ from a bacterial infected hotel room air conditioning system. As a consequence I suffered pneumonia, heart failure and damage to my pancreas. I’m now diagnosed as ‘unclassified diabetic’ but am treated as in T2 and inject 42U daily of Tresiba. The relationship of viral infections and diabetes is not fully understood but I can say with some certainty that viral infections can be catastrophic and cause a domino effect. One of the interesting spin offs about COVID is that there is more awareness of the impact that virus’ can have. Virus’ are a known trigger.
Wow, that’s rubbish :(

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Dandelade

Oh wow. That sounds very full on! I’m sorry it’s happened to you and thank you for enlightening us. I hope you’re managing it ok and well now.

Nicknackwack

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow. That sounds very full on! I’m sorry it’s happened to you and thank you for enlightening us. I hope you’re managing it ok and well now.
Thx. And it certainly is “rubbish” Fenn ! Getting the diagnosis was a protracted effort between my Cardiac team and Diabetes team and Endo team but all are unequivocally certain that a virus caused my “unclassified diabetes”. I’m fortunate that I get good care and am regularly monitored but as JohnEGreen has pointed out above, diabetes has many different aspects and facets and causes. And because of COVID we are learning more about virus’. Interesting stuff.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a list of some different types of diabetes other than T1 and T2

Maturity onset diabetes of the young (MODY)
Cystic Fibrosis-related Diabetes (CFRD)
Neonatal diabetes.
Wolfram Syndrome.
Alström Syndrome.
Latent Autoimmune diabetes in Adults (LADA)
Type 3c diabetes.
Steroid-induced diabetes.

My type on the list is the last one Steroid induced diabetes which used to be classified as Type 3E some while ago.

Hi,

& this "news jiffy." One of many i tripped over whilst trying to get my head round my mum's diagnosed Alzheimers condition?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769828/
Strangely, 9 years on..? Her condition hasn't progressed since she forgot her vegetable based diatatary choice..?
She can even remember she couldn't remember any of the tunes in the Eurovision contest we were watching the night before..
Lol, I call that "progress." Neither could I.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

& this "news jiffy." One of many i tripped over whilst trying to get my head round my mum's diagnosed Alzheimers condition?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2769828/
Strangely, 9 years on..? Her condition hasn't progressed since she forgot her vegetable based diatatary choice..?
She can even remember she couldn't remember any of the tunes in the Eurovision contest we were watching the night before..
Lol, I call that "progress." Neither could I.
That’s amazing! We’ve had a lot, way to much Alzheimer’s in our family, never once have I known it to not progress, that’s so good to hear.