lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi!

I’m preparing to do low carb as soon as Trulicity wears off, but I wondered where is the best place to find low carb alternatives? Mainly I want low carb wraps and bread, but I’ve been to morrisons and not found a great deal.

Any tips or advice welcomed! Thank you

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you lived in Australia, I could tell you where to go and buy lower carb bread and wraps that I have no problems with.

Reactions: lcarter

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I’m preparing to do low carb as soon as Trulicity wears off, but I wondered where is the best place to find low carb alternatives? Mainly I want low carb wraps and bread, but I’ve been to morrisons and not found a great deal.

If you really want to make a success of low carb I'd heartily suggest avoiding "low carb" substitues and instead just eat single ingredient foods cooked fresh.
You could I guess use lettuce leaves as a wrap but "fake" breads etc in my view just prolong the agony and contain a fair few nasties.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Your local butcher? For me, shopping has never been easier, I hit the meat section, beef , chicken and fish. Hit the veggie section for spinach, kale, rocket, maybe an avocado. I’ll buy olives, nuts , eggs.. and I’m out the door.

Im not a picky eater, grilled meat and greens makes me happy

Reactions: ert and lcarter

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I dont eat low carb versions of wraps and breads. I have wholemeal homemade bread, in small quantities. It worth testing two hours after eating something like that to see how your body tolerates the carbs. Some find even a tiny amount of bread is too many carbs for them.

Its surprising how easy it is to get used to not have food in bread. A slice of ham with cheese in is a great 'sandwich', or slices of cucumber with cheese in the middle, for example. Omelettes instead of eggs on toast, for example. Or omelettes cold with other food inside are lovely, in my opinion.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google seriously low carb for expensive bread and rolls.

Make yourself a frittata, Google for ideas on fillings. Keep in the fridge and take a portion as necessary.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

Hi if you possibly can you need to wean yourself off bread and starches and grain based stuff. However I am somebody who could not face the day without a slice of toast so I made a deal with myself 3 years ago that I would find the lowest carb and stick to just 1 slice a day and I have stuck to it. I buy HiLo seeded from Sainsburys usually and a loaf last me a couple of weeks. The slices are small but they satisfy my need and are only 5g of carbs/slice. I don’t have any other bread products though there are various low carb loaves available online at high cost. When I havent been able to find HiLo I have bought Kingsmill Crustless wholemeal which is 7g a slice and widely available. Your meter will tell you how you tolerate LC breads but I do agree with Bulkbiker you are better to swerve grains esp bread as much as you possibly can. I say that with the proviso that you need to find a way of LC that suits you to stick with it. While I’m here M&S deli range 3 for £7 is really useful for LC lunches I find. Look at Rollitos, calamari, cold meats (cooked chicken thighs and half chicken in the deal) other cold meats and cooked salmon and trout flakes and lots more. Good luck!

Reactions: DJC3 and lcarter

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just buy the small loaf of wholemeal supermarket bread and restrict my intake of it.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I make Keto bread and slice and keep in freezer

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/paleo-bread

PS some psyllium husk types makes the bread a purple shade it still tastes exactly the same.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
With the obvious exception of fruit, almost everything in my local wet market is great for low-carb. Fish, eggs, meat, lovely greens. The pork butcher will fix you up with any part of the pig you want: I get belly meat and ribs. It may be a little different where you live, but I do find that natural food that doesn't come in plastic packaging tends to be cheaper, less processed and lower-carb than the supermarket options.

Reactions: Mbaker and lcarter

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi!

Do you feel you really HAVE to have these , because it's surprising how soon you get along without them, and you pay so much more for them anyway? I did buy one seeded low carb loaf at the start of my change in eating two months ago, and it was 9 carbs per slice (from Asda) but I got a bit mean with my carbs and didn't want to waste so many of them on just bread. I eat very very few carbs but feel better for it! I have never once missed bread since then, and love everything in my new way of eating.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread:
2 years ago I bought low-carb bread from Sainsburys:

Hi-Lo Seeded Medium Sliced Wholemeal Bread 400g (5g carb per slice)

Now, I only eat keto dietdoctor.com home-made breads, e.g. hotdog buns with Dulano Franfurters for breakfast. Nice!

Mezza n

Hi!

Hi I buy liv life bread from Waitrose lowest carb bread I’ve seen be lost without it .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I shop in Lidl and buy eggs and mozzarella cheese - amongst other things - and I use them as the base for 'chaffles' cheese waffles.
They also sell extra thick bacon, which I place in the chaffle after cooking and enjoy immensely. I do not need to look for bread or wraps.

Reactions: coby

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Do you feel you really HAVE to have these , because it's surprising how soon you get along without them, and you pay so much more for them anyway? I did buy one seeded low carb loaf at the start of my change in eating two months ago, and it was 9 carbs per slice (from Asda) but I got a bit mean with my carbs and didn't want to waste so many of them on just bread. I eat very very few carbs but feel better for it! I have never once missed bread since then, and love everything in my new way of eating.
Hi coby. How many grams of carbs do you think you eat per day ? X.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi coby. How many grams of carbs do you think you eat per day ? X.
Hi Su!
I would think it varies a little, but today I have probably had about 50 at the most. Just had my last meal of mixed salad leaves, sliced tomato and a whole avocado, drizzled with a little mayonnaise. Will no doubt nibble on a square of 90% Lindt while watching Strictly later :) Adam Peaty is a contestant this year and he lived a few doors from my mum! She'd have loved it xx

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi Su!
I would think it varies a little, but today I have probably had about 50 at the most. Just had my last meal of mixed salad leaves, sliced tomato and a whole avocado, drizzled with a little mayonnaise. Will no doubt nibble on a square of 90% Lindt while watching Strictly later :) Adam Peaty is a contestant this year and he lived a few doors from my mum! She'd have loved it xx
Wow claim to fame. Excellent. That’s good, I’m not that low yet. But I will b. Xxxxx.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Sainsbury have HiLo bread at 5g carbohydrate per slice. I sometimes have this as toast for breakfast. I always have a loaf in the freezer.They also now do a low carbohydrate wrap at 14g carb per wrap. I bought some at half price the other day but quickly realised that the carb content was more than I wanted so I gave them away.
More useful are Aldi's edamame and mung bean fettuccine at 3.0g carb per 100g cooked weight and black bean spaghetti at 1.6g carb per 100g cooked weight. These were good transitional foods as I began to adapt recipes and eating patterns. However, I quickly came to realise that meals were just as enjoyable without rice substitutes, bread substitutes or pasta/noodle substitutes and I rarely use them now.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow claim to fame. Excellent. That’s good, I’m not that low yet. But I will b. Xxxxx.
Sainsbury have HiLo bread at 5g carbohydrate per slice. I sometimes have this as toast for breakfast. I always have a loaf in the freezer.They also now do a low carbohydrate wrap at 14g carb per wrap. I bought some at half price the other day but quickly realised that the carb content was more than I wanted so I gave them away.
More useful are Aldi's edamame and mung bean fettuccine at 3.0g carb per 100g cooked weight and black bean spaghetti at 1.6g carb per 100g cooked weight. These were good transitional foods as I began to adapt recipes and eating patterns. However, I quickly came to realise that meals were just as enjoyable without rice substitutes, bread substitutes or pasta/noodle substitutes and I rarely use them now.
Dr Snoddy, I came to realise this too and can honestly say that I don't miss them and have fully embraced my better way of eating x

Reactions: Dr Snoddy