Continuous blood sugar reading devices

anon125

About a third of the libre devices have faulty readings of about 3 for the first day or so.
Are the dextron g6 devices any better?
Any others available?
Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you base the Libre statistics on?
If you only see problems on the first day, why not apply the sensor the day (or two) before activating?
Don't trust the internet reports - few people comment when things work as expected, they only comment when it doesn't.

I have been using Libre for a couple of years, always apply mine at least 2 days before activation and my failure rate is much lower than one in three - probably around one in 30 (I think I have been using it for two years and had to replace 3 due to faults).

I have also tried Dexcom G6 when they had a free trial. For me, it was no more accurate than Libre with calibration (I use xDrip as it allows calibration with finger pricks) so not worth the cost, especially as I am very lucky to get Libre on prescription but would have to self fund Dexcom.

There are other CGMs - I know Medtronic have one, so do Medtrum, and I am sure Google will tell you more.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the Libre 2 for 3 months now and only had one replaced due to bas readings. All the others have been fine. I can only assume that just as some others find they fall off (due to skin surface problems?) some others may have technical problems with the interstitial fluid measure. The Dexcom also has problems with adhesive rashes.

anon125

Used libre for years. They replaced lots of faulty one but never mentioned not starting it for 2 days.
Seems like a good idea

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Used libre for years. They replaced lots of faulty one but never mentioned not starting it for 2 days.
Seems like a good idea
It's true, Abbott say the 1 hour start up is enough but it has been suggested in posts on this forum for years.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the G6 by Dexcom foor a couple of years. I self fund and it isn't cheap, but for the most part, it's been problem free. On the odd occasion I've had problems, tech support has been excellent.

No problems at all with sensors coming unstuck or causing skin problems, which prompted my move from the original Libre. Accuracy can be off on the first day, but it's usually obvious and a calibration usually sorts it.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Dexcom and am aware that Medtroinc are launching Guardian soon as another closed loop option for type 1s.
\Was told by Dexcom not to use a blood test to calibrate it (capillary gives a different reading to intra cellular read in any case).
The device sticks on well and is hard to get off. Only lasts 10 days which makes it much more expensive than FSL Fortunately I am funded by my CCG.
It talks to my pump which is great . It beeps when it loses bluetooth contact with my phone (fairly often but not a deal breaker for me).
When it is reading low my symptoms don't seem to match up all the time (i.e. it reads lower than I feel) but I have no way of calibrating this and it may just be that it is about 5 minutes out of date as with all of these devices.

anon125

I emailed abbot about the 2 day wait idea.
Not surprising they did not answer the question
and were reluctant to put anything in writing so they just said to call them.
I very much doubt the call centre staff have the training to answer this question.