Anyone had flu jab i did

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had mine today, had to find a point on my arm that wasn’t tattooed, but on the plus side that helped out the person doing at the local chemist as she was new, so doubled as a learning experience :)

have had the flu jab ever since I was diagnosed, never an issue.

I did find it interesting though that the chemist only had one over 65 jab left, seems they are doing a different one for them. Not sure how it is different

Having seen what the flu and covid does I am more than happy to get the jabs. But everyone has a choice and has to take their own decisions and whatever that means

Reactions: DJC3

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did find it interesting though that the chemist only had one over 65 jab left, seems they are doing a different one for them. Not sure how it is different
The standard flu jab is quadravalent, it contains 4 flu strains. As older people have a reduced immune response, they get a trivalent vaccine with an adjuvant. I don't know why they can't add the adjuvant to the quadravalent version.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The standard flu jab is quadravalent, it contains 4 flu strains. As older people have a reduced immune response, they get a trivalent vaccine with an adjuvant. I don't know why they can't add the adjuvant to the quadravalent version.
It seems I am out of date, this year all flu vaccines will be quadrivalent. The version for over 65's has the added adjuvant.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Without a court order it would be illegal to force medication or vaccinations on to anyone, so I guess that means we must welcome it.
I know that obviously! I just wondered if people ever say no they don’t want it or just have it done because drs have asked them to go for a jab!

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having the flu jab annually has massively reduced the winter woes, work in a school and before I got vaccinated I could guarantee being knocked out for a week by some nasty germ. Not so much now - if it happens it is usually pre vaccine - so I pretty much run there as soon as is possible :D

Reactions: sleepster

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that obviously! I just wondered if people ever say no they don’t want it or just have it done because drs have asked them to go for a jab!

I have always said no.

I rarely do what the doctor "tells" me too.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Get one recommended for myself every year haven’t had one so far and don’t plan on getting one I normally up my vitamin c intake during the winter months try to keep myself fit and eat healthily , has worked for me for over 20 years ,

Reactions: coby and bulkbiker

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We had ours Saturday 18th morning.
I was very sleepy for the rest of the day.
We are fine today.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Walked into my pharmacy this morning asked for flu jab hung about for a while had it done great no problem except am now typing one armed because cannot move the jabbed arm oh well never mind should be ok in a few days.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having mine on Monday, GP clinics keep cancelling here but I always go to my local Asda. They're great and we always have a natter. Used to work in a college so always keen to get mine sorted, although after the first year there I rarely picked up coughs and colds.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had mine on Tuesday, no problems apart from lower than normal blood sugar. Had the same reaction to the Covid jab for a few hours, then very high blood sugar for a week or so.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got mine a couple of days ago via a local pharmacy. Heard nothing yet from the drs anyway and assume I won’t now as they should be informed I’ve had it elsewhere. Absolutely no after effects. Hubby also eligible but chooses not to take it.

I choose to have it now as I do not want it at the same time as the covid booster. Whilst I am happy to make an informed decision to have both I’d rather keep them separate so I can be clearer about any side effects coming from what and so as to allow my immune system to deal with one vaccine at a time. I did the same with my children as babies. Only one jab at a time.

Reactions: sleepster

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Had mine on Tuesday, no problems apart from lower than normal blood sugar. Had the same reaction to the Covid jab for a few hours, then very high blood sugar for a week or so.
This is interesting! Would lower than normal blood sugar give me dizziness over several days do you think? It's just that this was my reaction to astrazeneka jab and I didn't have a meter at that time?

Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't have thought so, but without meter readings it's hard to know. Hopefully others more knowledgeable about type 2 will be able to answer better than I can.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had flu 20years ago (pre diabetes) and ending up on oral steroids, unable to lift my head from my pillow for about 10 days as I was that ill I always get my flu jab. I never want to be that poorly again if I can avoid it. I was jabbed last Friday

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have had the flu jab many times with no problems this year however I have muscle pain, joints pain headache and nausia I am unsure as to why I have reacted to this one when I have never done so before.

Scotsdude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you people have the flu jab because you want it or because they tell you to have it?
when I was 63 there was a campaign in the newspapers for all over 60 to get the flu vaccination as we were particularly vulnerable. On talking to my GP he agreed with this and added that as a type 2 diabetics I was doubly vulnerable and he strongly recommended that I have it. I have done so every year apart from 2020 and not had any symptoms.

Last edited:

JohhnyHachoo

Hi to all,

I had my flu jab yesterday has anyone else
I didnt feel the jab but slept all afternoon thn carnt sleep @t night its a right pain.

And i am also getting terrible indigestion to and tummy pain.
I might get to sort out diabetes bloods so high on Friday when i go to the doctors the reason why.

Sparklebright62.

Sparklebright
I have had my flu jab

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my 'flu jab last Friday, no noticeable symptoms at all. I had the jab for the first time last year, same lack of excitement then as well.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
I will have my flu jab on Saturday. I am also over due on a shingles jab because I had to have the first covid jab at that time so put it off. Maybe they will do the shingles one too. I would be due a booster for the Astrazennica jab in December. I had Hong Kong flu in 1970 and this bought on a continuous cough that turned in to pleurisy, then got asthma for the first time and then kept getting chest infections every cold, and had to have hydrocortisone injections about three times so wondered if I would survive very long even thought I was only 20. Thankfully the asthma went away unless I get a chest infection which is rare now. Now though am suffering from allergies to all sorts, diabetes type 2 and take blood pressure tablets therefore have had flu jabs for the past 5 years. Definitely would not like to catch Delta and the flu although it is a bit early for the flu jab.

Reactions: lucylocket61