What’s wrong with yellow jelly babies?

WreckTangle

I came across a diabetic discussion on Facebook for hypo awareness week. They were talking about eating jelly babies but not the yellow ones?? Why can’t we eat the yellow ones? Am I just being stupid? I’m so confused.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As far as I know there is very little if any difference between the colours of jellybabies as far as sugar content goes the differences may be in the E values of the colouring aditives and of course the flavours the yellow ones being lemon flavour.

Maybe they just don't like lemon.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Eat the rainbow they say which includes the yellow though personally I prefer the indigo variety. Only when low of course. Google finds no difference in carbs per colour which are 14g per 3 sweets if we are talkng Bassets'.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Nowt wrong with yellow jelly babies in my personal opinion and I must admit I’ve not seen anything about them , they have same effect on me as any other colour , as I only use them during a hypo they could be sky blue pink wouldn’t really matter , one thing I will, say is whatever the colour they provide me with the needed result .

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yellow jelly babies are my least favourite, they just don't taste nice :yuck:
I buy Barratts jelly babies usually, the white ones are the nicest.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I am not a T1 diabetic, and when I could eat jelly babies we always went for the black ones first, as the rumour had it they were bigger than the rest.

As for the yellow ones it's just food dye, I know when you prepare for a colonoscopy they tell you not eat or drink red, black and purple jelly and cordial.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I must say I prefer the boy jelly babies , there’s not that much difference but there that much more jelly hehehe

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t know how you can taste anything but sugar, I never even knew they tasted different by colour.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Although I am not a T1 diabetic, and when I could eat jelly babies we always went for the black ones first, as the rumour had it they were bigger than the rest.

As for the yellow ones it's just food dye, I know when you prepare for a colonoscopy they tell you not eat or drink red, black and purple jelly and cordial.

Here are some of the E nubers for Jelly Babies

E102, E110, E129, E132, E133, E150d, E171, E325, E330, E331, E901, E903, E904 and E322.

Th.e problomatic ones were or are concidered to be E102, E110 and E129; E102 and E110 are yellow dyes, while E129 is red.

So maybe yellow and red ones are the among the ones to watch out for.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I've just discovered a bag of jelly babies I'd left on the dashboard for a couple of days...
The horror!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Th.e problomatic ones were or are concidered to be E102, E110 and E129; E102 and E110 are yellow dyes, while E129 is red.

So maybe yellow and red ones are the among the ones to watch out for.
When I ate jelly babies, or any other lollies with colouring additives they never gave me any problems.

I used to like the taste of lead paint and sniffing DDT when I was a kid, it has not caused me any problems either

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I ate jelly babies, or any other lollies with colouring additives they never gave me any problems.

I used to like the taste of lead paint and sniffing DDT when I was a kid, it has not caused me any problems either

There's no accounting for tate the Romans thought eating off lead plates was really cool till they all went nuts.
There is a reason lead water pipes were all replaced.
And E numbers tended to cause children and some adults to become hyperactive
Some of the colours of smarties got banned in some countries for that very reason

And I had little toy soldiers painted with lead paint my children did not.

Problem with lead poisoning is you don't know it's happening.

I ate carbohydrates quite a lot till I became diabetic and realised they are not good for me, even though I felt OK.

So feeling OK does not necessarily . mean you are.

Reactions: KK123 and coby

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My great aunties didn’t know anything about low carb high fibre low fat blah blah blah ! They had everything fried in LARD double cream in mash potatoes etc etc , and all fivE of them lived into their late 80s and 90s , I think diets are all about balance and moderation only my humble opinion , are we too clean these days , don’t see weans these days picking up mud and putting dirty fingers in mouth without a quick wet wipe ! Anyways I digress don’t care how any E numbers are in them all ith8nk about when I eat them is I need sugar and they seem to hit the spot

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think about it statistically for me..?

The yellow ones seem to be the first blindly grabbed out the bag & by default straight down my gullet.
Whose worrying when yer fixing a low.

@JohnEGreen , wasn't there also a fated arctic expedition that was attributed to lead lined ration cans..?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I do vaguely remember someone years ago try I got to sue the company that stuff that sticks your dentures in as it contained lead

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My great aunties didn’t know anything about low carb high fibre low fat blah blah blah ! They had everything fried in LARD double cream in mash potatoes etc etc , and all fivE of them lived into their late 80s and 90s , I think diets are all about balance and moderation only my humble opinion , are we too clean these days , don’t see weans these days picking up mud and putting dirty fingers in mouth without a quick wet wipe ! Anyways I digress don’t care how any E numbers are in them all ith8nk about when I eat them is I need sugar and they seem to hit the spot

I believe the question was whats wrong with the yellow ones in the context of what the OP had read the only difference as fat as I can see is in the E numbers I had a couple of great aunts also they did not live quite so long as yours due to diabetic complications but did live long enough to lose a limb or two.

As far as Jelly babies are concerned you can scoff as much as you like it is entirely up to you.:)

Edit to add it was the blue smaries that got banned.

"The distinctive blue Smartie, dropped amid concerns over artificial additives nearly three years ago, is to make a comeback, it was revealed today. Nestle, which manufactures Smarties, reformulated the ingredients of the multi-coloured sugar-coated chocolate sweets to rid them of artificial colours and flavours."

this dated 2008

But then there's this
"
In 2006, Nestlé decided to remove artificial coloring from their sweets. The problem was that, even though they found a way to replicate and produce all the other colors by using natural alternatives, blue was proven to be more than a challenge.

In fact, it took them three years but they eventually found a way to extract the blue coloring. The color comes from a seaweed called Spirulina. Due to this solution, blue Smarties are back and just like the rest of the range, free of artificial colors and flavors."

So who knows.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one who absolutely detests jelly babies, all colours! So much so that I almost reckon if that was the only thing left to bring me out of a hypo, I'd refuse.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I the only one who absolutely detests jelly babies, all colours! So much so that I almost reckon if that was the only thing left to bring me out of a hypo, I'd refuse.

Nah, not the only one.. They sort of taste like those urinal block freshener things smell, to me..
But needs must...