Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hopeful34 Get really persistent about the longer antibiotic or a different one. If you aren't completely getting rid of it, you are going to keep making the one you have more antibiotic resistant. Bladder and kidney bacteria can become quite stubbornly nasty and you don't want to deal with that if it happens. Plus the antibiotics used for that can be nasty too.

The pond was only 1-3 feet deep when we filled it in when we first moved here. The slab we thought we would put a shed on is in the corner and used to have a shed with a prior owner.

So this is one of those island issues. we thought great, a nice big slab 10 by10 feet. It turns out no one has in stock or ships the larger sheds here, and if you use a ship service it’d cost a fortune. You could get handymen to build it, the estimate highly expensive again. Someone was building custom sized ones and delivering them, at a reasonable price but they stopped. So we decided to just keep using the 2 smaller sheds in the front that came with the house lol. Anyways that is why we now want to get rid of the slab. There is an aggregate company we have to call and see if they will take it. Unless we dig a big hole to put it in.

We don't have a ton of landscaping. A lot of people actually don't in our area, especially near your house. We have the largest variety of bug species (if I remember correctly) and plants next to the house aren't something you really want here. A lot of greenery promotes them so a majority of people keep plants down to more of a minimum here in their yard.

Converted Pond.jpg

The pineapples are on the left. A dwarf lemon in the middle, ginger is behind it and a Plumeria in the middle on the hill.

It was a beautiful pond at one time. We saw pictures of it 15 years ago. It was sort of horseshoe shaped with a rock waterfall. But the water supply pipe was broken somewhere, the pump was broken, there was a ton of plants all in the middle overgrown into a huge mass of an unknown plant. Pure solid green water. All of that could have been fixed. But the biggest thing was it was a breeding ground for the poisonous cane toads to dogs that are on the island now. We caught over 60 in the first 3 days of being here in our back yard (and set them loose near a river). So we decided no pond would be best.

thumbnail

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Fairygodmother, the weather turned out to be much drier than expected but I'd made up my mind to have a day doing other things - so I did!

@Marie2 thanks for the pic, looks fantastic. I can't imagine growing things like that, must be great. Though I am currently harvesting my fabulous pears, possibly my favourite fruit, which do so well here - there's always a trade off in what grows well where. This may not work for you, but I was left with a large concrete slab which I decided I wasn't going to remove on ecological grounds - so I've had it paved over and, whilst it's not where you'd expect in my garden - it's now another seating area and I'm in the process of adding pots of plants to the area. Just a thought....

@Hopeful34 really hope you get it sorted, it's so frustrating when you can't get through to the person you need to speak to to get the problem sorted. Fingers crossed.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Marie 2 and @hh1. It is frustrating, when all I need is for a simple message to be passed to a nurse or dr. I was as persistent as I could be, as I don't want cystitis to drag on, or as you say become antibiotic resistant, but was constantly told there are no appointments today, try tomorrow. Will see what tomorrow brings. Here's hoping.

The pictures look great
@Marie 2. All I've managed to grow are tomatoes, some rogue blackberries and apples. Plum tree did nothing this year, but is very old.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oh that bright blue sky and all that sunny light @Marie 2. It’s very different from the scene outside the window here where the deciduous trees are moving inevitably towards the autumn leaf shed. Your plants look very cheerful, they’re so green! I appreciate your desire to rid the plot of cane toads, and excess insects.
Like you, @hh1, our plum crop has been poor this year. We, though, had lots of plums on the old tree but they all bar a few succumbed to the nasty insect brought fungus that turns them brown, with fungal spots. Sad.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Remember the Meyer lemon that wasn't a Meyer lemon? That's the reason I ordered the Haas trees to hopefully make sure they are Haas.

Well now it's the ginger. It came from the nursery as one huge bulb that was split up and I know it was the white ginger I wanted because it flowered. But it almost died off as a bug got into the root. And now it is flourishing..................but now it's awapuhi ginger. Not what I wanted. The landscapers think it was probably blended together in the original bulb. But the one I liked is what died. This time they are thinking of taking a hike to find the ginger I like as it used to be common although not so much anymore. I have a few other species in the front, but I really like the fragrant white flowers they usually make the leis out of. I'm thinking when I want something specific, ordering online might be a better bet lol!

The one I wanted that I had

Ginger.jpg

What I have now, you can sort of see the red cones that are forming.

Awapuhi.jpg

Reactions: karen8967

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking when I want something specific, ordering online might be a better bet lol!
Perhaps you should buy what you do not want to have, seeing as you always end up with something different from what you bought!

I have the same issue with dogs.
When I first wanted a dog I wanted a black and white female, about knee high. Ended up with my beloved Hidde, a blond haired male who grew out to be below knee hight, around 12 kilos.
For years I have said that if ever I take another dog, it had to be at least as big as Hidde because that's the smallest size to be a 'real' dog.
This is what I ended up with. (Cats for scale.)
Still, they both strongly believe they are real dogs, so all is well!

129541124_10222378433524019_3072374217060324382_n.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother it was @Hopeful34 whose pulm crop wasn't good - mine was so bumper it broke two branches!

@Marie 2 I feel your pain at planting something which then turns out to not be at all what you wanted. Been there, done that, makes me grumpy. And @Antje77 I just love your story and your animal collection. In the end it doesn't really matter what they look like as we just end up falling in love with them :happy:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It seems to be a widespread island problem. It's an, oh well it's a lemon, didn't you want a lemon? And one major nursery here so........And then there is small growers all over that grow misc stuff. . We will keep the lemon unless it annoys me in the long run, because I can still use the lemon in dishes, in water and make lemonade. The landscapers will take out the awapuhi for someone else and I'm sure take the lemon out for someone else if we ever want to trade it out.

@Antje77 Your dogs are adorable and obviously well loved and were very lucky to find you!!!! Very cute picture of them with your cats!!!!!!

Now hopefully the banana that is thriving is really the banana we wanted. It's supposed to be an Ice Cream Banana. The apple banana died so the landscapers are on the lookout for either an apple banana or a strawberry banana, sigh.........

I agree @hh1 it does make you grumpy as you have to wait for something to grow a while before you know it's the wrong thing. And then you stare at the wrong thing thriving and as with the lemon I hate to pull it out!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I could swear it was Thursday and not Friday....................and for you guys now Saturday. This no appointment thing and being retired makes me lose track of what day it is sometimes.

Reactions: hh1 and RVW

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! It’s been a long time! I have a chunk of news to share with everyone - first one is I am back at uni! I handed my notice to my manager 5 weeks ago, my job was getting harder and harder as time went on. Diabetes wise, I’m not doing too well, it went down hill from when I got my pump replacement. I couldn’t get my CGMs to last, I was sweating so much that my cannulas etc kept falling off so I ended up not wearing my CGM. It was a nice break but my team were not too happy about it. It’s just the constant alarms and trying to catch up on sleep, I went with sleep :( but anyway; since I’m back at uni, CGM is back on and I’m ready for a new chapter

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone! It’s been a long time! I have a chunk of news to share with everyone - first one is I am back at uni! I handed my notice to my manager 5 weeks ago, my job was getting harder and harder as time went on. Diabetes wise, I’m not doing too well, it went down hill from when I got my pump replacement. I couldn’t get my CGMs to last, I was sweating so much that my cannulas etc kept falling off so I ended up not wearing my CGM. It was a nice break but my team were not too happy about it. It’s just the constant alarms and trying to catch up on sleep, I went with sleep :( but anyway; since I’m back at uni, CGM is back on and I’m ready for a new chapter

Hey Mei,

Good to hear from you. Hopefully a change of scene with Uni will put things on the right track.

Yep, a good night's sleep can help too.

Keep us updated on how you get on..