Type 2 How much would a binge day affect me?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I binge a few times a year, mostly birthday parties. I don’t worry about it, just take a nice long walk or jog to burn things off.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is purely my personal experience and only because it's such a strong, clear memory!

Back in my misdiagnosed Type 2 days, when I was on the highest level of metformin, feeling utterly fed up with an ultra low carb diet which was at this stage not working to keep my blood sugars at safe numbers, and I was in the final days before a clinic appointment where everything changed, I had a massive "Oh, what the heck" and had a one-off very high carb once much loved treat of chips from then newly opened chip shop at the top of the hill on the way home after a long and difficult day.

I loved and enjoyed the eating of that glorious portion of chips, at least, what I managed to eat. (My appetite had changed and I couldn't manage them all which was sad.)

I very much did and still do feel awful with high blood sugars so -

I hated the almost-comatose level of sleepiness I had for about two days after, I hated the fact it took nearly a week to get back to what was then my usual lowest level of blood sugars (which is a level that now that makes me do a correction dose of insulin and mutter about my miscalculating insulin for chips) so was an absolute grump for all that time.

I concluded it was an experiment I wasn't up to repeating because whilst the 30 minutes of eating was glorious the after-effects on me were so, so, so not worth it. For me!

Even now, the years I spendton a low-carb diet have changed my taste buds considerably. I no longer eat very low carb, as I preferred not to once on insulin and with a re-diagnosis of LADA (a slow, late-onset Type 1) but when I do have something that's high carbs my body prefers small amounts of them at a time spread across the day.

I enjoyed the experiment and left it as a one-off... your experimenting will be different from mine! Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 months ago I had a blood sugar of 300 that day and I just feel anxious,
After that I decided to get serious with my body, I still have things I want to do , I've been losing weight (18 kg), going on a diet, and doing at least 10,000 steps per day, now and my blood sugar is usually pretty low 70-80 if you take in count the discrepancies, after eating it will go up to 130 ( 134 is highest I have ever seen)

I eat very little carbs, I don't put salt in my foods, I cook most if my meals without oil, not a fan of sweets anyway, currently I'm 102 Kg at 1.73 height, however today I have an special occasion and I found my childhood favorite snacks traveling back to my city and I cant explain to you how much I love those disgusting fat bombs, they are a mix of various Mexican chips with a cheesy flavour.

Doing the calculations this is the nutritional value:
  • 300 gr of content.
  • 2000 calories,
  • 200 gr of carbs,
  • 117 grs of fat (no trans fat)
  • 2300 of sodium
  • 23 gr of protein.
now I KNOW, this a terrible idea, I'm not stupid, it will never be a healthy choice, but oh man I can't wait to eat that whole bag by myself while watching a movie. and I want to know, if I will be safe? could this kill me or send me to the hospital?

Right now I take 500gr of metformin per day, maybe I should take 2 today to prepare for the binge? i don't use any kind of insulin.

I heard about the whole Ketoacidisis thing but I imagine that only happens if you go way overboard right? surely having one binge one day one time wouldn't kill you? it will just spike your blood sugar to terrible amounts.

As a complementary question is there a limit of how many carbs you could eat before you pass the bucket?
Let's say i eat 2 bags, will that kill me?

I'm very ignorant in this topic and my doctors are not available right now so patience would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

My experience is the longer you have good BG the worse you will feel if you binge and go high.. but it wonk kill you or have any real longterm effect so long as its a one off

Ketoacidosis shouldn't be and issue as it's not high bg alone that causes this.. it's high bg due to a lack of insulin as you are still producing insulin your body will get the energy it needs but not be able to deal with the excess.

One possible effect could be that you get to like binges and they become common...

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
It's fine to binge now and again we still can enjoy ourselves but don't forget with all that sugar in your system you are open to infections , Bacteria loves sugar !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Realistically, I think as a one off it's not going to do much harm. Additionally, there are things you can do to mitigate it, like if you do some good, brisk walking after eating your snacks. Tequila can also lower your blood sugar a lot, so that might help reduce any immediate spike.

I think the walking might help but am really dubious as to the wisdom of adding alcohol to the carb overload. Although alcohol can suppress the liver's enthusiasm to drip sugar into the bloodstream when your blood sugar is low, I have my doubts that it will do much for an initial massive sugar spike.

Reactions: Antje77

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
This is purely my personal experience and only because it's such a strong, clear memory!

Back in my misdiagnosed Type 2 days, when I was on the highest level of metformin, feeling utterly fed up with an ultra low carb diet which was at this stage not working to keep my blood sugars at safe numbers, and I was in the final days before a clinic appointment where everything changed, I had a massive "Oh, what the heck" and had a one-off very high carb once much loved treat of chips from then newly opened chip shop at the top of the hill on the way home after a long and difficult day.

I loved and enjoyed the eating of that glorious portion of chips, at least, what I managed to eat. (My appetite had changed and I couldn't manage them all which was sad.)

I very much did and still do feel awful with high blood sugars so -

I hated the almost-comatose level of sleepiness I had for about two days after, I hated the fact it took nearly a week to get back to what was then my usual lowest level of blood sugars (which is a level that now that makes me do a correction dose of insulin and mutter about my miscalculating insulin for chips) so was an absolute grump for all that time.

I concluded it was an experiment I wasn't up to repeating because whilst the 30 minutes of eating was glorious the after-effects on me were so, so, so not worth it. For me!

Even now, the years I spendton a low-carb diet have changed my taste buds considerably. I no longer eat very low carb, as I preferred not to once on insulin and with a re-diagnosis of LADA (a slow, late-onset Type 1) but when I do have something that's high carbs my body prefers small amounts of them at a time spread across the day.

I enjoyed the experiment and left it as a one-off... your experimenting will be different from mine! Have fun!
I LOVE that, because it goes to show that sometimes we 'think' we are missing out but we soon know that we really don't welcome what it does to us

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A little update for anyone trying to do a binge like me in the future, I did ate all bag it was (330 grams) (200 carbs) most of it while I was laying in bed watching a movie with nothing but water.

1 hour and a half later peaked at 330 mg/dL. it just went downwards from there
before I was ready to sleep I was at 114. mg/dL. (usually sit around 70)
Today (1 day later) my Blood sugar seems to be back to normal 76 mg/dL in the morning

* (Mind you my glucometer usually has a discrepancy of around 10)
* I didn't eat nothing else all day, besides a peach in the morning, and did no exercise.

Any symptoms?: no, not really, nausea only, but maybe that's because I ate a jumbo bag of chips in one sitting on an empty stomach, my shoulder kind of hurt at some point.

Was it worth it?: Yes, because I like those chips, NO because every time you eat something you like there's nothing but joy, but as soon as the food it's over, the fun it's over too and now you are fatter than you were 30 minutes ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the walking might help but am really dubious as to the wisdom of adding alcohol to the carb overload. Although alcohol can suppress the liver's enthusiasm to drip sugar into the bloodstream when your blood sugar is low, I have my doubts that it will do much for an initial massive sugar spike.
Yes, it's a fair point that alcohol needs to be treated with caution: I only mention it because on some occasions I have gone up into double figures or near double figures at a 2 hour reading, I've drank neat spirits and gone back down to 4-5 within the next hour. I'd need to check with a continuous monitor to see what happens after that, but generally when I'm railroaded into eating something unavoidable like birthday cake baked for me or suchlike, I'll try to follow it with some red wine or vodka etc as an emergency stop-gap. It's probably best avoided if possible.

Last edited:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
A little update for anyone trying to do a binge like me in the future, I did ate all bag it was (330 grams) (200 carbs) most of it while I was laying in bed watching a movie with nothing but water.

1 hour and a half later peaked at 330 mg/dL. it just went downwards from there
before I was ready to sleep I was at 114. mg/dL. (usually sit around 70)
Today (1 day later) my Blood sugar seems to be back to normal 76 mg/dL in the morning

* (Mind you my glucometer usually has a discrepancy of around 10)
* I didn't eat nothing else all day, besides a peach in the morning, and did no exercise.

Any symptoms?: no, not really, nausea only, but maybe that's because I ate a jumbo bag of chips in one sitting on an empty stomach, my shoulder kind of hurt at some point.

Was it worth it?: Yes, because I like those chips, NO because every time you eat something you like there's nothing but joy, but as soon as the food it's over, the fun it's over too and now you are fatter than you were 30 minutes ago.
Glad you survived :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rather than bingeing a whole bag, or a whole day, why not try the 2 bite approach which works for me?
The first bite satisfies the taste (I.e what does that taste like?) the second bite satisfies the craving (I.e I really really want that)
2 bites is enough of anything to satisfy those 2 main yearnings and I can then walk away. At least I have only had a small amount of the whatever it was but my cravings and taste have been satisfied with minimal carb and bg impact.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Rather than bingeing a whole bag, or a whole day, why not try the 2 bite approach which works for me?
The first bite satisfies the taste (I.e what does that taste like?) the second bite satisfies the craving (I.e I really really want that)
2 bites is enough of anything to satisfy those 2 main yearnings and I can then walk away. At least I have only had a small amount of the whatever it was but my cravings and taste have been satisfied with minimal carb and bg impact.
This is what I do with my chocolate. I only eat 90% Lindt now, and find it really chocolaty and rich. I break just one square into 7 or 8 pieces, and take extreme pleasure in each piece, which I let melt in my mouth. Just that one square is all that I need for my chocolate fix. I feel as if I've eaten a whole bar.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I do with my chocolate. I only eat 90% Lindt now, and find it really chocolaty and rich. I break just one square into 7 or 8 pieces, and take extreme pleasure in each piece, which I let melt in my mouth. Just that one square is all that I need for my chocolate fix. I feel as if I've eaten a whole bar.

I’m going to try this!

Reactions: coby

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
2 bites is enough of anything to satisfy those 2 main yearnings and I can then walk away.
For me, this works most of the time.
But I always have a large bag of cheese and onion crisps in my cupboard for the day I simply want it, I've given myself leave to eat it whenever the moment is there.
Yes, I know I'm on insulin, which is different, but believe me, dosing correctly for a bag of crisps is impossible for me. The day I'll choose to it will be a rubbish diabetes day, but allowing myself to eat the whole bag instead of being sensible is pretty important to me.

So far, the bag hasn't been eaten (but it has been replaced a couple of times to make sure it's yummy and crunchy and fresh when I need it).