Coeliac, Type 1, and vegetarian

midian182

Does anyone else fall into this unholy trinity and find eating out a pain? I was recently at a restaurant with a gluten-free "menu" that had all of three items on it: Chicken salad, Chicken Korma, and (presumably chicken-free) ice cream.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello yes I am in the same boat! Been T1 for 25 years but the coeliac thing is very new for me- only had the call from my gp last week.
I am out tonight for dinner and feeling pretty nervous about it as its so new. I am going for GF pizza which probably means my sugars will skyrocket :bored:

Drfarxan

the two might be related, this is just a feeling but i believe there is a single source unlike disease like cancer for autoimmune diseases. Especial for the ones from the same "organ" like the digestive system. It might seem like i am promoting keto in this forum but did any of you try it? keto or carnivore? i know for type 1 it might be risky maybe youll need to adjust the insulin dose to avoid hypoglycemia. But i am curious to know the effect it had for people with autoimmune issues.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m coeliac and vegan. And now I’m staring down the barrel of a type 1 diagnosis (prev dx as type 2 tablet controlled until I had dka in feb) I have been low carb since. So I guess I have the holy trinity it is possible to do with planning but I’m limited in what I can have and eating out is not something I’m even thinking about right now until I have the home front a bit more in order. I’m eating a lot of roasted veg, tofu, nuts and meatless farms fake meat products. And the odd purition vegan shake with almond milk and raspberries. Even 85% dark chocolate with 5g carbs sends my bm through the roof so I’m waiting til my test results confirm type 1 and then they plan to start me on insulin so I’ll be able to have a bit more freedom I hope.