CGM's usage for type 2 .

korfila

hi all,
i am a diabetic type 2 on insulin, after many years tring to control my sugars on a lot of different oral medications.
i am taking rapid acting insulin at breakfast ,lunch, and dinner, plus Lanctus before bedtime.

i have asked my diabetic team , if its possible to have the CGM, as i have to prick my finger at least 5 times a day.

have any of you been lucky to be given the Abbott Libre type ? or another?

thanks,
ken.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Korfilla, I understand your frustrations.
Please bear in mind the criteria for Type 1s to be prescribed Libre (the cheapest available) is to test at least 8 times per day. So you will ned a stronger argument that 5 pricks a day ... plus Libre does not exclude all finger pricks.

I find it ridiculous that the criteria for Type1 is any different to that for type 2 on insulin but whilst the target for Type 1 on Libre is only 20%, there is no target for type 2.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, at the moment, you chances are close to zero sorry, if you cannot afford to self fund, I would recommend signing up for the free trial or buying a libre occasionally as it tells you so much, it’s enlightening seeing what your blood is doing while you sleep etc, I’ve been self funding for years, it is expensive but so very important for me. Best of luck.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think Dexcom G6 are doing a free trial, otherwise self funding :( CGM funding is not widely available to type 1s, CCG funding etc is different across the UK, so I think chances are very slim for T2