Type 2 Does a Low Carb diet work for "normal" BMI Type 2?

BravoKilo

Hi,

Have people with "normal" BMI had success with Low Carb diets & exercise? Any wisdom & help much appreciated! (I'm a newbie to this forum). I'm trying to switch to a lower carb diet.

I know the ReTune study at Newcastle is currently trialling Low Calorie diets for T2D & normal BMI.

Many thanks.

Some background:
My BMI is 22 (always been in the normal range), usually active and fit (but not this year ..)
2014 diagnosed PreDiabetic following an OGTT. (HbA1c 40) Followed the standard NHS advice (v. 'healthy' diet, but I now realise ...lots of carbs),...
2018 HbA1C 48, diagnosed T2D 2018 after an OGTT
2020 HbA1c 49, Triglycerides v high. Put on statins. (No other meds).
Have not felt well this year, started testing glucose levels (finger prick) . Just used a FreeStyle Libre 2 for a couple of weeks & my glucose readings rocket after any significant carbs, eg after breakfast of small porridge, chia seeds and small handful of berries, blood sugar went to 14.8 mmol/L. Walking / exercising brings it down.
My 2021 check-up is overdue ...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
started testing glucose levels (finger prick) . Just used a FreeStyle Libre 2 for a couple of weeks & my glucose readings rocket after any significant carbs
Looks like here's your answer. :)
Choose foods which don't make you skyrocket!

M

Member496333

Yes. I am bottom end BMI and always have been. I gained weight and simultaneously beat diabetes using full keto diet. But overcoming insulin resistance when you’re not already fat is a monumental task. Contrary to popular belief, not being able to get fat can put you at greater risk of type 2 because you have fewer places to store excess energy.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Have people with "normal" BMI had success with Low Carb diets & exercise?

Works for me (when I can maintain discipline).
I wear Libre 2 long term and I can see that when I go really low carb then my BG is nice and l;ow.
Then I have a "That looks good, I wonder if...?" moment and the BG spikes.
So yes, Low Carb (and high protein/fat) can work for normal BMI.

simply_h

Low carb always works…. All depends on your individual bodies set point for carbohydrates. Before you switch to fat etc

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Have people with "normal" BMI had success with Low Carb diets & exercise? Any wisdom & help much appreciated! (I'm a newbie to this forum). I'm trying to switch to a lower carb diet.

I know the ReTune study at Newcastle is currently trialling Low Calorie diets for T2D & normal BMI.

Many thanks.

Some background:
My BMI is 22 (always been in the normal range), usually active and fit (but not this year ..)
2014 diagnosed PreDiabetic following an OGTT. (HbA1c 40) Followed the standard NHS advice (v. 'healthy' diet, but I now realise ...lots of carbs),...
2018 HbA1C 48, diagnosed T2D 2018 after an OGTT
2020 HbA1c 49, Triglycerides v high. Put on statins. (No other meds).
Have not felt well this year, started testing glucose levels (finger prick) . Just used a FreeStyle Libre 2 for a couple of weeks & my glucose readings rocket after any significant carbs, eg after breakfast of small porridge, chia seeds and small handful of berries, blood sugar went to 14.8 mmol/L. Walking / exercising brings it down.
My 2021 check-up is overdue ...

You have had two OGTTs, why? Did they do a fasting test before the test began, or were you allowed to eat? If your Hba1c levels are increasing, there could be many reasons why.

If you are going low carb, reducing your carbs slowly, and increase your protein and up your saturated fats a little.
Up your exercise program a little, unless you have other issues which could skew how you feel.

I have had a few eOGTTs, which is a longer test, my fasting blood levels are always in normal levels. (3.5-6.0mmols).
Many foods I cannot tolerate and after having glucose or usually carbs, my blood levels rocket up into the mid teens from normal.
This is because, my hormonal response to carbs is poor, and not enough insulin to cope with carbs. I do go this high within 45 minutes depending on the meal.

If you do go high this quick, the same sort of response is usually linked in T2s with insulin resistance. This is where, your insulin response is negated by wasting insulin by not converting glucose into energy. So the higher the insulin resistance, the more insulin is circulating around until it is absorbed by the liver.
The only other thing that is likely is called glucose dumping.

Do let us know how you are doing and when you do finally have your blood test, ask your GP, if you haven't already, get to see an endocrinologist.

BravoKilo

You have had two OGTTs, why? Did they do a fasting test before the test began, or were you allowed to eat? If your Hba1c levels are increasing, there could be many reasons why.

If you are going low carb, reducing your carbs slowly, and increase your protein and up your saturated fats a little.
Up your exercise program a little, unless you have other issues which could skew how you feel.

I have had a few eOGTTs, which is a longer test, my fasting blood levels are always in normal levels. (3.5-6.0mmols).
Many foods I cannot tolerate and after having glucose or usually carbs, my blood levels rocket up into the mid teens from normal.
This is because, my hormonal response to carbs is poor, and not enough insulin to cope with carbs. I do go this high within 45 minutes depending on the meal.

If you do go high this quick, the same sort of response is usually linked in T2s with insulin resistance. This is where, your insulin response is negated by wasting insulin by not converting glucose into energy. So the higher the insulin resistance, the more insulin is circulating around until it is absorbed by the liver.
The only other thing that is likely is called glucose dumping.

Do let us know how you are doing and when you do finally have your blood test, ask your GP, if you haven't already, get to see an endocrinologist.
Many thanks for this.

The 2 OGTT were taken because I happened to be part of a large clinical trial looking at predicting diabetes & heart disease. Just found out (thanks to NHS app!) that in 2014 my 2 hr OGTT reading was 15.2 , and in 2018 was 13.4,. My GP didn’t want to diagnose me with diabetes as my HbA1c readings were OK ( in prediabetic range) even though fasting glucose started to creep up. Diagnosed in 2018 after the OGTT test & a 2017 FpG of 8. My HbA1c was 44.

The OGTT results resonate with my Libre readings : if I have more than 8 g carbs my glucose levels go into the teens (from eg 6 to 8) after 30 to 45 mins.

I’m now really confused: managed to get nhs blood test yesterday & just seen results online : HbA1c is down to 45 (presumably partly due a lower carb diet and lots of exercise the last three weeks) & triglycerides normal.

Will try and see an endocrinologist.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many thanks for this.

The 2 OGTT were taken because I happened to be part of a large clinical trial looking at predicting diabetes & heart disease. Just found out (thanks to NHS app!) that in 2014 my 2 hr OGTT reading was 15.2 , and in 2018 was 13.4,. My GP didn’t want to diagnose me with diabetes as my HbA1c readings were OK ( in prediabetic range) even though fasting glucose started to creep up. Diagnosed in 2018 after the OGTT test & a 2017 FpG of 8. My HbA1c was 44.

The OGTT results resonate with my Libre readings : if I have more than 8 g carbs my glucose levels go into the teens (from eg 6 to 8) after 30 to 45 mins.

I’m now really confused: managed to get nhs blood test yesterday & just seen results online : HbA1c is down to 45 (presumably partly due a lower carb diet and lots of exercise the last three weeks) & triglycerides normal.

Will try and see an endocrinologist.

Hi, thanks.
I'm sorry if I played my part in confusing you.
It isn't typical that with a Hba1c in prediabetic range, to go that high.
This was how I was diagnosed by my endocrinologist. Most doctors would presume insulin resistance and because of the high glucose levels due to anything approaching mid to low carb food. Hence the T2.

Has your doctor suggested diabetes meds?

I know that my initial insulin response is due to my cells required for insulin/glucose reaction. I would like to know why you go so high?

BravoKilo

Hi, thanks.
This was how I was diagnosed by my endocrinologist. Most doctors would presume insulin resistance and because of the high glucose levels due to anything approaching mid to low carb food. Hence the T2.

I know that my initial insulin response is due to my cells required for insulin/glucose reaction. I would like to know why you go so high?
Hi, no you haven’t confused me - I was confused/ surprised that my current HbA1c wasn’t higher this time, given recent Libre /pin prick readings & how I’ve been feeling.
No diabetes meds have been suggested so far ; GP says I am managing the T2D well.
Whereas I am concerned about my sugar spikes,

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, no you haven’t confused me - I was confused/ surprised that my current HbA1c wasn’t higher this time, given recent Libre /pin prick readings & how I’ve been feeling.
No diabetes meds have been suggested so far ; GP says I am managing the T2D well.
Whereas I am concerned about my sugar spikes,
Do you get spikes with one particular type of food?
I get far more glucose out of legumes than I ought to.

BravoKilo

Do you get spikes with one particular type of food?
I get far more glucose out of legumes than I ought to.
I don’t have enough data to answer that at the moment.
Whole grains (esp oatmeal and wheat/any bread ) seemed to cause worse rises so I’ve cut them out.

Worst time of the day for me is breakfast, when I seem most sensitive to any carbs. Presumably when my insulin sensitivity is highest?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t have enough data to answer that at the moment.
Whole grains (esp oatmeal and wheat/any bread ) seemed to cause worse rises so I’ve cut them out.
Worst time of the day for me is breakfast, when I seem most sensitive to any carbs. Presumably when my insulin sensitivity is highest?

You are like me - I have 10 gm of carbs with my first meal and then up to 30gm in the evening.
My insulin RESISTANCE is highest in the mornings and goes down over the course of the day.
I don't eat high carb foods such as grains, and for me that includes beans and peas, as it so limits choices.

BravoKilo

Hi, thanks.

Forgot to say that no, no diabetes meds have been siggested

BravoKilo

Many thanks for all the replies.

Would still be really interested to hear about people who have achieved type 2 remission with normal bmi (without ever being overweight).

Reactions: Speedbird

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your answer to being higher after breakfast is to change what you eat for breakfast, or miss it completely.
In the mornings our livers kick in and send out glucose to help us start the day. (Dawn Phenomenon) If we eat carbs at that time it just increases the amount of glucose in our blood stream. I had this problem back at the beginning. First of all I tried full fat yogurt with 2 or 3 small strawberries. That didn't work. Then I stopped eating breakfast but had a coffee with full fat cream. That worked better. For the last few years it has been a soft boiled egg and mug of tea. That works perfectly. Eggs cooked any which way are good for breakfasts.

It doesn't matter whether we are fat or thin, we can still eat low or very low carbs. If we are slim we just need to balance this with extra good fats, like a see-saw. Higher carbs, lower fat. Lower carbs higher fat. That way we can arrive at a situation where we keep slim and keep our glucose levels down. It worked for me once I had reduced my BMI to 22 and has stayed that way for 7 years.