What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not because I am craving any carby foods, I wouldn’t eat them again in a million years, it’s just being apart from everyone else
I hear where you are coming from. I think we feel worse because we see everyone else building up potential future health issues for themselves but we can't change the whole world and it would feel like a party pooper to even mention our fears.
There's been a similar discussion on another site tonight, and that's one where they have chosen a no sugar woe rather than having it thrust upon them as those of us with diabetes have.
I just see so many people now keto or low carbing that we won't be such a small minority for very much longer and will soon come to be more accepted. Just look at the growth of vegetarianism and gluten free. It can't be long before lc is up there too, can it?

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was the first time I can remember when I actually felt miserable about myLC way of eating. Not because I am craving any carby foods, I wouldn’t eat them again in a million years, it’s just being apart from everyone else.
Granddaughters bday today so all the family were invited round for her favourite breakfast of croissants. I could have taken myself something so I could ‘join in’ but decided black coffee was a normal breakfast for me so I wouldn’t eat.
Late lunch at a roller skating rink - everyone else ate hot dogs and burgers. I’d made myself a couple of lc scotch eggs to take with me. I just felt fed up being different.
I’d cheered up by dinner- t/a curry - I had tandoori mixed grill and 2 glasses of wine.
Back to normal routine tomorrow.
It's good to be different! I'm trying to shake myself out of a down-in-the-dumps mood. Nothing to do with LC though. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to be different! I'm trying to shake myself out of a down-in-the-dumps mood. Nothing to do with LC though. Just feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Sorry to hear you’re down in the dumps too. I’m wondering if it’s maybe just the start of autumn and the end of summer that’s having an effect on my brain. I know I’d be feeling 10x worse if I hadn’t changed my WOE.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear where you are coming from. I think we feel worse because we see everyone else building up potential future health issues for themselves but we can't change the whole world and it would feel like a party pooper to even mention our fears.
There's been a similar discussion on another site tonight, and that's one where they have chosen a no sugar woe rather than having it thrust upon them as those of us with diabetes have.
I just see so many people now keto or low carbing that we won't be such a small minority for very much longer and will soon come to be more accepted. Just look at the growth of vegetarianism and gluten free. It can't be long before lc is up there too, can it?

Thank you. You’re certainly right about seeing potential health issues building up in others: Trying to gently encourage without sounding like an evangelical nutter is a fine line to tread.
I’m not sure about keto/ LC ever becoming mainstream though. I just don’t think there’s enough profit in it for the big food companies.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Now that we are allowed out, I went to meet up with a friend last week and she had made a really very lovely soup to share. It was Persian and, because I was sharing it, she omitted the standard noodles, leaving in only beans and chickpeas as the bulk of the soup - the rest was herbs. I don't normally eat chickpeas or dried beans because of the carb content but she had tried so hard to get it right for me...So I had a small bowl of it. Delish! But I did manage to refuse a 2nd bowl. People are really so good in trying to help and understand, but it is so complicated and it seems churlish to tell them they got it wrong!

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

You have a lot to do @maglil55, it's no wonder you're a bit low from time to time. Maybe you should try to get a little more time to yourself. Easy to say, I know, and when we see our loved ones needing support, we just give it and ignore the damage/stress building up in ourselves.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and eggs, as usual.

Neil went shopping and couldn't get any streaky bacon, so I'll have to ration what is left and hope he'll be able to get some in Tescos on Thursday.

2nd meal: he did manage to get some pork chops, though. So that and some swede, squash and carrot mash, perhaps with some lemony apple sauce (to use up fruit that has been around for a bit too long). That's if I don't get halfway through the day and decide I don't want anything else.

He's just told me that the raspberries are near their use-by date and others in the shop, dated one day earlier, were already going mouldy. So, maybe a raspberry sauce to go with the pork. Wonder if I could add apple and lemon to the mash. Might make it a bit soggy. I'll have to get on to that early, or I'll be too tired and won't bother.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I fasted for the first time from dinner last night for 18 hours. I was aiming for 36 but I couldn’t do it :shrug: desperate to bring my levels down. Still hovering around the 10-15 mark no matter what I do. I think I may need to eat in the morning to bring my levels down, oddly. Will try tomorrow.

So lunch was tuna and egg Mayo with lettuce, a handful of cashews and the final slice of carrot cake. Tried bovril—not for me—and had coffee and double cream. Chicken salad for tea.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I fasted for the first time from dinner last night for 18 hours. I was aiming for 36 but I couldn’t do it :shrug: desperate to bring my levels down. Still hovering around the 10-15 mark no matter what I do. I think I may need to eat in the morning to bring my levels down, oddly. Will try tomorrow.

So lunch was tuna and egg Mayo with lettuce, a handful of cashews and the final slice of carrot cake. Tried bovril—not for me—and had coffee and double cream. Chicken salad for tea.

I am insulin dependent and found that either eating early with a dose of insulin, sufficient to force BG down, or just taking a correction dose (for me quite a large dose) early, helps to bring BG down to a near normal level from anything between 12 or 15. This morning I took 60 u of Humalog and had bacon and eggs, so zero carbs and that brought my reading down to 5.9. It went up again, of course, after a couple of mugs of tea, but only to 7.4.

So, eating in the morning might help you.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@maglil55 and @DJC3 hugs for you both and anyone else feeling blue - must be something in the air I’ve also felt more blue moods recently probably partly the end of summer although lovely sunny day today and managed to get out there to plant some bulbs in more pots - always a good move with a reminder that spring will hopefully eventually happen. My current avatar is me sat out by my flowering spring bulbs this spring - I still remember planting last autumn and feeling happy in the spring that I had made the effort.
No breakfast just coffee as rushing out
Lunch three eggs scrambled in butter with one slice of hm lc buttered bread followed by a few raspberries from the garden and 0%fage yoghurt
Mid pm two squares of 90% lindt choc
Dinner chicken tandoori with salads followed by DGF ginger cake
Hoping weather good tomorrow as planning an half day outing to nearby NT property - if goes to plan says me madly crossing fingers - as busy rest of week Maybe I also need to buy more bulbs to plant !

Madisons

Just had 3 pieces of lindt 100% dark chocolate and feel so guilty about it. This is after a late breakfast of egg mushroom spinach omelette, 1 whole avocado and 1/2 cup of legumes sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning. Some pressed cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds and cinnamon. And green tea matcha. Skipped the Low carb toast but overdid it with chocolate instead. Still need advice on how to portion control....

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. black tea, 2 black coffees, 1 slice of HiLo toast with trout pate and cucumber.
L. Masala dosa in restaurant, slimline tonic. Followed by slow walk for an hour - strained Achilles tendon.
Snack. Far too many nuts, tea
D. Leftover homemade vege curry and mutter paneer padded out with sauteed courgette. Strawberries.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, a two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms. slice of low carb toast and vegimite for braekfast.
Chicken and salad wrap, usual glass of lemon / lime cordial osmolax mix for smoko.
Savoury liver and bacon, green veggies, spudlite potato, tub of lime jelly for lunch.
Salad and shredded cheese, small spoonful of kimchi in a low carb wrap for supper at six.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very bitty day today.
B: yoghurt with seeds and walnuts. Had second small bowl as it was very tasty.
L: half a cheese and ham toasties sandwich in a Waitrose cafe. All they had on offer was this, jacket potato or porridge! I tried eating the filling and only one piece of the bread. Was away so no means to test effect. Also I don't understand those who say they miss bread, this was mass produced flabby white and tasteless. The cheese was the only good thing about it.
D1: 2 hard boiled eggs,a tomato , some salami and a couple of full sugar millionaires bites as we cleared out the fridge from our holiday.
On drive back, 2 dark chocolate Bahlsen praline wafers. Apparently only 5 g carbs per one, but tastes more.
At home: 2 more biscuits (they are too difficult to ration so won't buy any more). Half a pack Pork Golden crunch in the hope the salt will stop the sugar craving I seem to have set off.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and phd Smart bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: spur of the moment coffee shop coconut cappuccino and oopsie, another phd Smart bar :wideyed: which I just happened to have in my bag!
Dinner: 2 Finest pork sausages with broccoli and Brussels followed by SF cherry jelly, chocolate chia pudding and LC nutty granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had 3 pieces of lindt 100% dark chocolate and feel so guilty about it. This is after a late breakfast of egg mushroom spinach omelette, 1 whole avocado and 1/2 cup of legumes sprinkled with everything but the bagel seasoning. Some pressed cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds and cinnamon. And green tea matcha. Skipped the Low carb toast but overdid it with chocolate instead. Still need advice on how to portion control....
Re the choc at least it’s 100% choc think about 8g of carb per 100g ie whole bar?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and eggs, as usual.

Neil went shopping and couldn't get any streaky bacon, so I'll have to ration what is left and hope he'll be able to get some in Tescos on Thursday.

2nd meal: he did manage to get some pork chops, though. So that and some swede, squash and carrot mash, perhaps with some lemony apple sauce (to use up fruit that has been around for a bit too long). That's if I don't get halfway through the day and decide I don't want anything else.

He's just told me that the raspberries are near their use-by date and others in the shop, dated one day earlier, were already going mouldy. So, maybe a raspberry sauce to go with the pork. Wonder if I could add apple and lemon to the mash. Might make it a bit soggy. I'll have to get on to that early, or I'll be too tired and won't bother.

I did bother but Em had the raspberries. The swede, carrot and squash mash was what my mother-in-law used to call "wersch" - should have put more lemon in it. There's another chop left and about half of the mash, so I'll doctor those up tomorrow.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So back to Sunday.
Brekkie always slice HiLo toast, butter lots of tea.
Lunch was salad and Emmenthal. Supper was Peking Crispy Duck with a tiny drizzle Hoisin sauce and a big salad.
Monday yesterday lunch was rollitos and salad leaves.
Supper was cherry tomato (last of my home grown) and basil omelette, then too big a handful of hazelnuts. Oops!
Today lunch will be cold meat & salad. Supper will be bacon wrapped chicken breast and tenderstem broccoli.
@Rachox dont know if you are a gin drinker but I have just discovered there is a Jaffa Cake gin that has good reviews and has may turn up on my Christmas list.
@DJC3 I completely get your feelings about “joining in” with food. Mr PM and I used to go to Pizza Express sometimes on a Sunday evening but thats knocked on the head. It just wouldnt work for me to sit opposite him enjoying a classic pizza while I have salad. He is very good about not going anymore. Its not even that I miss pizza that much its just something we used to enjoy together.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn’t get round to posting yesterday
Breakfast was ham and eggs.
Lunch was 1/2 avocado, prawns, cottage cheese and a spoonful of turmeric & ginger sauerkraut.
Dinner was 2 glasses champagne and a DGF Notella blondie celebrating granddaughter’s birthday. Too late to eat when we got home.
@shelley262 I think you’re onto something re the change in seasons bringing on a blue mood. Bulb planting sounds good therapy though.
@PenguinMum yes, that’s exactly it - so many small pleasures that just aren’t worth doing anymore. Most of the time I really don’t mind, and I’m happy to find alternatives but sometimes it’s just too much effort and it seems easier not to bother.
I might add that Jaffa cake gin to my Christmas list too. Who makes it?