Confused !!

gooner10

Hi Folks it's been a while since I have posted on here been a type 2 since 2006 . Just got back on low-carb since May of this year as my sugars were staring to creep up. Lost 1 and 1/2 stone since then so doing o.k in that respect. Sugars are starting to come down. This morning on awakening my sugars were 7.0 I had an early hospital appointment so quick oatabix for breakfast which is not the norm ! Got back from my appointment and took my bloods at 11.30 with a reading of 13.5. did a quick urine dip test glucose off the scale !!
Took bloods again 90 mins later 5.3 did urine dip test again no Glucose! How or why has this happened any thoughts thank you in advance.

gooner10

Hi. Oatabix are 64% carbohydrate. Not surprising.
Hi Jim thanks for you speedy reply. I realize the amount of carbs but needed to grab something quick .I suppose what i'm really asking is is it normal for the kidneys to dump that amount of glucose so quickly to go down to 5.3 so quickly ? Probably a good thing they do ! But it just seem's a fast drop ! Thanks again mate.

M

Member496333

Hi Jim thanks for you speedy reply. I realize the amount of carbs but needed to grab something quick .I suppose what i'm really asking is is it normal for the kidneys to dump that amount of glucose so quickly to go down to 5.3 so quickly ? Probably a good thing they do ! But it just seem's a fast drop ! Thanks again mate.

Couldn’t say. Depends if any drugs are involved. Some lower blood glucose by making you pee it out but it’s not something I’m really knowledgable about. If you normally eat low carb then the hyperglycaemic reaction would be expected because of glucose sparing, but the fact you recovered in short order is probably a good sign vis-à-vis insulin sensitivity. Someone else might know more about the urine thing.

Reactions: gooner10

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I wouldn't worry too much about the urine dip tests, I've copied this paragraph from here
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=167&ContentID=glucose_urine
What might affect my test results?
Urine glucose tests are not as accurate as blood glucose tests. Many things can cause false-positives or false-negatives. For instance, the test actually reflects what your blood glucose level was a few hours earlier, so it might not be very accurate. Other factors that can affect your test results include certain medicines and vitamin C. Even the light that the test strip is checked under can lead to a false reading.

Probably better to trust in your glucose meter and ditch the urine strips along with the Oatabix