Cheapest source of Freestyle Libre 2 sensors?

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a couple of posts from several years ago suggesting Superdrug Pharmacy sells Abbott's Freestyle Libre sensors at £35 ex Vat which I understand is the price to the NHS. Currently they're £48 from Abbott and some other pharmacies.

They're not listed on Superdrug's website, and I'm not near a Superdrug pharmacy.

Does anyone know if this price still holds, or where's the cheapest source for these sensors?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This price definitely does NOT hold for SuperDrug.
About 18 months ago, Asda pharmacy was the cheapest but I do not know now.
Have you applied for the free trial? If you just want one sensor, this is the cheapest option.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've seen a couple of posts from several years ago suggesting Superdrug Pharmacy sells Abbott's Freestyle Libre sensors at £35 ex Vat which I understand is the price to the NHS. Currently they're £48 from Abbott and some other pharmacies.

They're not listed on Superdrug's website, and I'm not near a Superdrug pharmacy.

Does anyone know if this price still holds, or where's the cheapest source for these sensors?

Hi,

I get them funded & prescribed by my GP these days.
But back in the day. I got mine from my local ASDA pharmacy. VAT free as a T1. Just filled out a VAT exemption form & they scaned an an exempted barcode instead of the box on each purchase. From memory, there was a bit of a price hike earlier this year at ASDA..

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I used to get mine from Asda but it was a longish drive.
I now get them from Abbott directly.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I get mine from Abbottdirectly they maybe cheaper if you purchase them from a third partyarty but if they go wrong Abbott would probably not replace them and you may not get them replaced from where you got them necessarily

Reactions: EllieM

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always got them from Abbott, and had a few underperforming ones replaced and as a T1 diabetic I don't pay Vat. But I don't buy them regularly, just when I need them. If I could get them more cheaply, I could get them more often.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as a note any diabetic is eligible for vat free purchases of the libre, not just type 1. It’s about having a long term chronic condition and both type 1 and 2, however treated usually, count.

If you got a particularly awkward assistant it might be trickier proving you are a diet treated type 2 as they often use a prescription for medication as the proof but the declaration is between you and the vat man ultimately. I took the form you can print off the .gov website in case they refused to accept my claim. luckily it wasn’t needed

Medic123

Hi what vat forms do I print off?
Would you kindly give me the website address for the vat exemption forms for the Freestyle libre 2

Regards.

Lakeslover

The company/pharmacy you get the sensors from should provide it. Abbott on line have the form online when you purchase directly from them.