Low carb and empagliflozin

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi does anyone low carb on this drug? I’ve been advised against it but I was wondering if anyone does, and if so, how low is safe to go from experience? Thanks

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on dapagliflozin and (try to) low carb, I don't count, but avoid the usual suspects

Reactions: lcarter

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I think the reason they advise against it is purely because you can have DKA on these meds, if you are low carbs or keto dieting, you are by definition closer to DKA.

I low carbed properly with Jardinace which I believe is very similar to emp, they were stopped as my keytones were 3-4.

I think it’s possible but would require extreme keytone testing, I remember the keystone blood strips on the Libre sensor were £30 for ten strips, so this would be an expensive hobby, the urine test strips seem a bit unspecific to me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Would you like me or another mod to change the title of your thread to empagliflozin?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the NHS warnings on a similar 'flozin'
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/dapagliflozin/
I think for T2s that low carb is possible on it but to decrease carbs slowly over time so the body has time to adjust to lc with the medication, I.e don't cut out carbs overnight, do it over weeks/months instead.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I see in that NHS article, it seems that carbs are needed to feed the medicine dose. Bit like insulin, you have to (in this case for a 'gliflozin) eat to the pills. The consequence seems to be possible hypo. if you are prepared for hypo's then LC diet should be ok but may need other meds adjusted.

The corollary of this advice is that drivers need to follow the DVLA guidance for diabetics on hypoglycemic medications since these meds seem to be similar to the sulfonylurea meds. Even if this is the only med you take for diabetes, It can replace Metformin apparently.

Looking at section 8 it seems I tick all the boxes and should not be taking Dapagliflozin at all. I have a heart condition and am a stroke survivor. But my heart consultant has insisted I take it. So far I have only suffered new back pain and dizziness in the side effects dept. I have the DKA test kit in the bathroom. Since I am not using ketosis or serious fasting, any ketones showing up is an attention-getter for me. I am conversant with hypo's so no bother there.

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, the combo of low carb and Empagliflozin sent me into DKA with ketones of 8.5. I was in hospital for 5 days. Be cautious

Reactions: MrsA2

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is a more detailed study of eu-DKA
https://journals.lww.com/md-journal...flozin_associated_euglycemic_diabetic.50.aspx

This is what WebMD advises against taking Dapagliflozin.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-165641/farxiga-oral/details/list-contraindications

Note that the first mention is #Low Blood sugar, which is interesting. As I said previously, this is a medication you need to feed with carbs. The problem is that it apparently increases glucagon enzyme which causes a form of ketosis that is uncontrolled because the mechanism is blocked by the other actions it has on the kidneys. So it reduces glucose and steps up lipid burning without the usual natural controls.

So if you are doing LC diets when taking this medication - EAT CARBS!

Edit to add: eu-DKA occurs at BGL levels above 10 mmol/l but below the T1D levels of 20+. In other words, low blood levels start at 10 mmol/l and below so anyone controlling in the normal or prediabetic ranges is at great risk of DKA. WARNING (?????) This is not mentioned in the patient's pamphlet.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was recently put onto Forxiga as a heart medication to replace the Metformin I used to be on. Recently I have noticed that I can taste raspberries, and my daughter remarked that she can smell raspberries, and I made a joke about it being the new laundry conditioner.

Thinking about it I have now tested myself and my ketones register around 0,5 mmol.l, and my bgl is around 7 mmol/l. I am not in nutritional ketosis because I recently ate a carby meal. Ergo - the beast is waking up.