I have to go to weightloss group

• Thread starter Deleted member 538891
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

I have to go to Weightloss group & also to the diabetes management programme &
to the balance group.

(Going to be interesting to say the least hopefully will help me loose more weight.)

Still not had A1c test done yet.

Sparklebright62.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi is it your surgery sending you to these groups? You absolutely are entitled to and should insist on having your Hba1c because anything else you do to address your T2 and weight will be meaningless without it. Thats the starting point. Many of us have used low carb diet to address reducing sugar numbers and weight. Also you need to have a meter (self funded if necessary) and check before and two hours after eating. Good luck but that Hba1c is essential. Always lots of help and answers to your questions on here.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its good that you are being offered some support as having a group of people around you that are all trying to do the same thing can spur you on.
What really matters is reducing your blood glucose so I'd agree that you need that HBA1c result. Whatever you do to bring that down should also reduce your waist size so I'd focus on what works best there rather than deliberately reducing calories.
Balance classes are a great idea to get you more confident and active IMO.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

Take care of the diabetes and the weight will likely take care of itself. Acquire a glucose meter and take charge of learning what food works best for you. And don’t let them tell you that your weight is the cause of your diabetes. It’s a symptom.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi to all,

to the balance group.

(Going to be interesting to say the least hopefully will help me loose more weight.)

Sparklebright62.

Why do you have to go to a weightloss group? Most of them use a calorie restriction method and this is usually unneccesary if you control your Blood Glucose by using Low Carb.

Using a BG meter is an important tool for control of T2 diabetes.
Some people control it through Low Carb and get just as much weight loss as with calorie restriction but without the hunger.
For others, Low Carb controls their T2 Diabetes but doesn't change their weight much.
In either case, it's the T2 diabetes i.e. the Blood Glucose that ultimately matters most - not the weight. After all many althletes are technically obese!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi to all,

to the balance group.

Sparklebright62.
Awesome, I hope it works out well. Please share your experiences , I’m always looking for ways to chip away pounds

D

Deleted member 538891

Hi to all,

Yes being sent by the gp practice at last they R doing something after all this time.

I am also going to go swimming 2 when i get round to it i did my bs a bit since it was 10.4 but i have been walking all aftetnoon.
But i dont feel great so will see what doc says
tommorow.

Sparklebright62.

Reactions: McHelen

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Gosh I’d hate to be forced to go to any of the groups you have mentioned, certainly not my thing!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We cant be forced to do anything. We have choices. 'NO' is a complete sentence. We are adults.

McHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you want to go to a weight loss group? That is the question. If your GP is prescribing a 12 week block with a group such as slimming world, then have a look see and make up your own mind. There are many strategies to shed weight but the only one that works, is the one which you make work. Personally, I am allowing my self to get a grip of my BG levels first with low carbs then I will think about lowering calories if still needed. monitoring the effect of different food on your BG levels is really useful.

Reactions: EllieM and becca59

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Gosh I’d hate to be forced to go to any of the groups you have mentioned, certainly not my thing!
Sarah I'm like you there! In fact I wouldn't go! I hate things like that ands would feel very self conscious and awkward. I'm not a social person unless with just one or two folk

Reactions: lucylocket61

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've done Fat Club aka Slimming World. Kept me accountable right until after the weigh in after which my friends and I went to the pub for some chips with mayo and a large glass of wine. Looking back it seems odd to pay cash to be weighted in public!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I would go without hesitation, if it’s prescribed, and it’s free lol. If it doesn’t work after an honest shot , well I’ve gained knowledge.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Why do you have to go to a weightloss group? Most of them use a calorie restriction method and this is usually unneccesary if you control your Blood Glucose by using Low Carb.

Using a BG meter is an important tool for control of T2 diabetes.
Some people control it through Low Carb and get just as much weight loss as with calorie restriction but without the hunger.
For others, Low Carb controls their T2 Diabetes but doesn't change their weight much.
In either case, it's the T2 diabetes i.e. the Blood Glucose that ultimately matters most - not the weight. After all many althletes are technically obese!
Some times low carb isn't enough in people like I was. I needed to lose weight quickly. I would be dead now if it wasn't for weight loss programme at Sunderland Hospital. Covid definitely would hv finished me. I could hardly breath.
Low carb is brilliant but for extremely obese people like I was more intervention is needed and quickly.
I know you may never understand this but life IS for living so the NHS enable that. In extreme cases only.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also too joined Slimming World, I was their Slimmer of the Year 2020 before Lockdown #1.
I achieved this by completely ignoring their advice re syn free foods.
I ploughed my own low carb furrow & just used them for a calibrated weighing scales.

5st-jpg.41536

Being quizzed every week on my success was tricky as I couldn't publicly diss the program.
I was almost caught out once where I said I used nuts for snacking which are serious high syn foods by their calculator.
Thank god Lockdown hit as I was due to be interviewed by their magazine.

Anyway, never went back.

Jo123

I did weightwatchers after I had each child to get rid of the extra stone I was carrying. I found it helpful. The motivation of paying for the meetings was good for me and I did lose the weight. I think weight watchers was was better than slimming world as there wasn't the unlimited carbs!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On the weight loss programme diabetics had a seperate dietician. Hence young dieticians had low carb diets in place.
Myself low carbing had to be complimented with low calorie due to my huge insulin hunger.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi to all,

Yes being sent by the gp practice at last they R doing something after all this time.

I am also going to go swimming 2 when i get round to it i did my bs a bit since it was 10.4 but i have been walking all aftetnoon.
But i dont feel great so will see what doc says
tommorow.

Sparklebright62.
Which high protein foods knock your insulin into submission?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's right what they say.
Exercise is just a very small part of it. Diet right for your body is the biggest assistance.