Keto Shake

CallMeAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, I was diagnosed in April with an HbA1C of 67, and immediately went low carb. With good results I think, because in late August my HbA1C was down to 40. Trouble is, I've gone from just under 11 stone down to just under 9 stone, which I attribute to the loss of chocolate, donuts, bread, sugar, etc - all those yummy things. My glucose skin prick tests are very good.

So in Sainsburys I spotted Slimfast Keto Fuel Shake, "balanced for a lower-carb Keto lifestyle". It's low calorie, but supposed to be fatty. It's actually very nice, if pricey, but the question is: will it put any weight on me? Fed up of being rather like a skeleton and having to buy new trousers constantly!!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I was diagnosed in April with an HbA1C of 67, and immediately went low carb. With good results I think, because in late August my HbA1C was down to 40. Trouble is, I've gone from just under 11 stone down to just under 9 stone, which I attribute to the loss of chocolate, donuts, bread, sugar, etc - all those yummy things. My glucose skin prick tests are very good.

So in Sainsburys I spotted Slimfast Keto Fuel Shake, "balanced for a lower-carb Keto lifestyle". It's low calorie, but supposed to be fatty. It's actually very nice, if pricey, but the question is: will it put any weight on me? Fed up of being rather like a skeleton and having to buy new trousers constantly!!
I would have thought the answer was in the word "Slimfast". If you want to stop losing weight then the answer is more calories not less. Get some pork chops instead.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just up the fats some. For me, having 100 ml of unsweetened cream once a day 'll put my weight up.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was trying to work out how to get a bit more fat into my daily diet and forgot about cream. Going to start putting double cream back into my coffee :)

M

Member496333

Willing to bet whatever fat is in the Slimfast is of the nasty polyunsaturated variety along with goodness knows what else. Personally I would avoid and use real foods. Macadamia nuts. Not much comes packed with more energy per 100g. Maybe homemade 100% cocoa chocolate comes close depending on the ratio of powder to butter. Macadamia nuts will turn you into a bloater by morning. Money back guarantee.

PS. congrats on the great results so far.

CallMeAlan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmmm. Interesting comments. I like the idea of pork chops and cream in my frequent coffees. And thanks Jim Lahey.

Isn't there a fine balance between fats, eg, pork chops, and our cholesterol?

M

Member496333

Probably. But personally I have never been in the least bit concerned about cholesterol. It is what it is. A very poor marker of cardiovascular health. Speaking only for myself I just stick to real, whole foods and don’t worry about it. That way I minimise my likelihood of plaque buildup trying to repair damage caused to arteries by sugar and seed oils. There are a bunch of people on here who know far more about it than me, so feel free to ignore. I think @bulkbiker is an oracle on the subject of cholesterol.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Make your own shakes. I stumbled across my favorite.. an avocado, a scoop of whey protein, a tablespoon or two of coconut oil. If I add the right amount of water, it whips up into a nice pudding texture… tastes amazing, has protein, fats and plenty of nutrients.

experiment and come up with something you enjoy, and where you know the exact nutrient contents

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Yes there is, saturated fats improve ( raise) HDL the so called 'good' Cholesterol and reduce the bad Triglycerides thus giving a better lipid ratio. In most they also reduce LDL, but in some (including me) they increase it - however I still have a better Lipid ratio profile than before I started to eat more saturated fat plus my immune system and hormones are better because of my increased LDL.