Time to be honest with myself

stevie_a

Newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, time to be honest with myself... :bag:

Hi all, I am a 55 year old man, I am over weight and eating and drinking all the wrong things for years, been to the doctor and being diagnosed with Type 2, now having a lifestyle change.

At the moment i am on no medication, but taking by blood pressure 2x daily to see if i need to do anything ( at the moment 138/ 86) not sure how that is ( i think slightly over )
I am on the hunt for the best foods. I eat most things but unfortunately i do not eat any seafood, so today I bought some tuna,( got to start somewhere!) I made a large salad and put tuna in it so that I can use at tortilla wrap and make a wrap for lunch for the rest of the week. ( what is the best tortilla to use or is it any is better than white bread ?)
Is there anywhere to look at best types of food to eat as in what brands are better than others?

What i miss so far is a biscuit with say my cup of tea in the afternoon.

I am starting swimming twice a week as in from next week, this is my preferred exercise

anything more i need to know ?

I am sure i will have many more questions for you all :)

Reactions: LaoDan

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lettuce leaves are better than wraps.

You need to learn how to read the labels on food. 5he best food doesn't have labels!

You can have biscuits and cake if you are prepared to make them yourself.

Read the link in my signature.

Ask lots of questions, we can point you in the right direction.

Reactions: stevie_a

Lakeslover

Sainsburys sell BFree High protein wraps which are only 3.8g carbs and 100 calories each. Or online you can get LoDough wraps which are only28 calories and 2.4g carbs.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Look for Total carbs on the back of food packaging and keep it down. Avoid tortilla or bread or keep the quantity down. That BP is slightly high but it should go down a bit with exercise and weight reduction.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the carb zone wraps and think they are pretty good. 4g of carbs for one of the smaller ones. Good luck with your journey, it will get easier

Reactions: EllieM and stevie_a

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lettuce leaves are better than wraps.

You need to learn how to read the labels on food. 5he best food doesn't have labels!

You can have biscuits and cake if you are prepared to make them yourself.

Read the link in my signature.

Ask lots of questions, we can point you in the right direction.
That is a really good introduction (and a bit more!).

Just one question for you....
Tuna with oil NOT with brine? We eat masses of tuna, mackerel and sardines, usually in oil (olive if we can get it). Even though we eat the oily ones (though obviously it's well drained) I alway believed that processed oil was basically not good for us.

Just for the record one of my favourite snacky meals is a tin of mackerel and a tin of tuna, drained!, then seasoned with a splash of soy sauce, salt, pepper, a splash of ketchup, lemon jiuce and full fat mayo, all on a slice of buttered carb-free (nearly) toast. There! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
(I know, soy and ketchup are sugary, but I only use a smear to taste).

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You sound like you're taking a smart approach. We can't handle carbs, so don't eat carbs: that's the long and short of it. Check the carbs per 100g on what you eat, and keep it as low as possible- that seems to be best. As a rough guide-
meat, eggs, fish, cheese, leafy green veg are fine
beans, pulses, root vegetables need to be handled with more care
grains and anything made of grains are best avoided (that's the difficult part)\
fruit is basically out. Berries are tolerable, tropical and stone fruit are pretty bad.
Dry wines are ok, spirits are ok; liqueur and beer are best avoided.

I reckon you'll be OK: if you cut the carbs, you'll lose weight and feel better than you have for years

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Masses of stuff you can eat.
Google fat head dough for pizza.
Indian headbangerskitchen.com
Google keto cakes/cookies or biscuits
You can make sweet or savoury muffins

Anything you fancy just Google and put keto first.

Reactions: LucySW

stevie_a

It's me again !!!! ;)

Ok out in the van today, i was charging it up (it's electric) very hungry, Asda was over the road so I popped in to get a carryout tea knowing this was not enough I googled good snack for diabetes.
It kept saying peanut butter.
I looked at them all and settled on this and to top it I got celery sticks.

1. How did I do ?
2. If it is good, what limit would you put on the peanut butter ?

I will wait of the
" NO YOU CAN'T EAT THAT"
Comments

Attachments

• 20210927_140312.jpg
    20210927_140312.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210927_140301.jpg
    20210927_140301.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 87

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Fella
That’s along the right lines. The carb content is the key.So 7.4g per 100g of peanut butter. If you can try to work down to say under 50g per day in total.Carbs are chains of sugar molecules so you are going to change the carbs into sugar once you scoff it. Low carb high fat reversed my type 2. Don’t be frightened of fat it’s your friend.
You will need to up the fat in your diet to provide energy and help you feel satiated.
Try pate or cheeses with celery cucumber or carrot batons or mange tout.Or salami and walnuts etc.
There is a great section on here of what have I eaten today which has great ideas.
Count your carbs and keep them down and throw away most of your ideas of what you should eat and you will be fine. I lost weight lowered my BP and reversed type 2 with bacon and eggs every morning!!!
Stick here with these good people and read around here.You are in the right place.
It’s gonna be fine.

M

Member496333

As said i have never enjoyed sea food ( ever! )
But trying tuna but i got two types to see what i might like , one with spring water and one with sunflower oil.

what is best ??

Water and then add your own extra virgin olive oil to taste if you prefer. There’s a growing body of evidence pointing to seed & vegetable oils being really quite damaging to human health. Nearly all store bought mayonnaise is made with these oils so you might also like to experiment with making your own mayo if that’s your thing with tuna.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's me again !!!! ;)

Ok out in the van today, i was charging it up (it's electric) very hungry, Asda was over the road so I popped in to get a carryout tea knowing this was not enough I googled good snack for diabetes.
It kept saying peanut butter.
I looked at them all and settled on this and to top it I got celery sticks.

1. How did I do ?
2. If it is good, what limit would you put on the peanut butter ?

I will wait of the
" NO YOU CAN'T EAT THAT"
Comments
Looks pretty good to me. Enjoy!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get the tuna in brine, having tried all of them that is the one I prefer.
I have never eaten peanut butter - just the smell puts me off. I would probably have gone for cheese with the celery.

Mattrblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am you 4 months ago. I am a little younger (49), over-weight and had a HbA1c reading of 72 mmol/mol (11.2 mmol/L). I made changes to my diet but not overly drastic changes. A lot less bread and potatoes (but still some), less wine and beer. More gin, vodka and whisky. More cheese, less crackers. You get the idea, small changes make big differences over time. In 4 months I have now gone down to a normalized 39 mmol/mol (6.5 mmol/L). I have lost a good bit of weight but still want to lose more before my daughters wedding in February, so I will be extra good up till Christmas and get back down the gym. Again, small changes can make a big difference over time. I used to happily eat 4 slices of toast, now if I do have toast, I have 1 slice and appreciate it much more. You'll be fine if you make small adjustments and stick to them.

stevie_a

Oh man I feel a baptism of fire with this one :joyful:

Main meal of the day, corn tortilla then put a pan on the stove, 1/2 teaspoon of extra virgin oil, 6 x button mushrooms, 1/2 celery stick, 1/4 red pepper, 6x cherry tomatoes, 1/2 Chicken breast cut into strips and steamed.

All put on tortilla topped with poached egg and lettuce.

And for a sauce put 1 teaspoon of peanut butter in a small dish added small amount of boiling water to make a thin paste and poured over the top.

And washed down with sparkling spring water from the distillery in my own Scottish village .

:bag:.

Attachments

• 20210927_190458.jpg
    20210927_190458.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 79

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Other good on the road snacks are:
Hard boiled eggs. Often sold in the sandwich section.
Nuts, but watch the portions. Just 6 brazils or 10 almonds should be enough to take the edge off hunger while your body adjusts. The bags from the baking aisle are cheaper had the mini packs sold as snack, as long as you can nit eat too many at once
Olives
Cheese, again often small portions are available in the sandwich or deli sections

How did the peanut butter and celery work out for you?