How to make a cake for diabetics

Kebab-breath

Ive never tried either of these ingredients, but I heard stevia can be used as a sweetener and almond flour as a low calorie flour.
Is it going to be possible to make a decent cake which I can eat as a diabetic, using the aforementioned, then?
Craving cake right now!

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: In Response

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
A way to get to @bulkbiker's recommendation is to mentally break through a transition period if you can't white knuckle it - here's a decent site https://www.youtube.com/c/ketoserts
If you do mostly animal based keto your tastes will change and savory will demote sweet. Eventually the gaps between treats will widen...trust the process.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well…. I agree and I don’t, with those who slightly suggest that enjoying cake is evidence of moral turpitude ;). I agree, freeing yourself from the carb cravings is an excellent thing and allows you to break the links of eating for emotional reward and take complete control of your why and how you feed yourself.

However, my personal take is that I like cake from time to time, so I bake a low-carb cake when I want one, guilt-free. It’s not something I have every week, and I find it no problem to only have a single slice a day. But this low carb life is for ever, and that’s a long time without cake…

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try this.

Low-carb almond and olive oil cake

Ingredients
9 Servings

Ingredients

3 jumbo eggs
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
80 g xylitol
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp baking powder
200 g almond flour
almond extract
50 g slivered almonds
xylitol icing mix, for dusting

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Grease and line the base of a deep springform cake tin, 20cm in diameter.
2. Place the eggs, olive oil, xylitol, juice and zest in a bowl and whisk until light and foamy, about 3–4 minutes.
3. Sift in the baking powder and almond flour and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and scatter the slivered almonds over the top.
4. Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until firm. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a rack and allowing to cool completely.
5. To serve: Serve sliced, dusted with xylitol icing mix.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Careful with sweeteners. I won't have xylitol in the house because it can be fatal to furbabies.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Try this.

Low-carb almond and olive oil cake

Ingredients
9 Servings

Ingredients

3 jumbo eggs
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
80 g xylitol
juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp baking powder
200 g almond flour
almond extract
50 g slivered almonds
xylitol icing mix, for dusting

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Grease and line the base of a deep springform cake tin, 20cm in diameter.
2. Place the eggs, olive oil, xylitol, juice and zest in a bowl and whisk until light and foamy, about 3–4 minutes.
3. Sift in the baking powder and almond flour and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and scatter the slivered almonds over the top.
4. Bake for 50–60 minutes, or until firm. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a rack and allowing to cool completely.
5. To serve: Serve sliced, dusted with xylitol icing mix.
Is Almond flour the same thing as Ground Almonds please?

Mezza n

Ive never tried either of these ingredients, but I heard stevia can be used as a sweetener and almond flour as a low calorie flour.
Is it going to be possible to make a decent cake which I can eat as a diabetic, using the aforementioned, then?
Craving cake right now!

Hi have you tried sugar free mom on face book her recipes are amazing Fantastic cakes keto low carb etc worth a look
Sugar-freemom.com

Last edited: