I've been really ill

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have been in hospital had a chest infection , the same time my son was in too with pneumonia , and the day I went into hospital my best friend died suddenly .

I tested positive for the virus and spent a few days in hospital on a drip and antibiotics .
I feel terrible lost a stone in weight as couldn't eat much , been to the doctors this morning for A1c , its going to be high I know as I was steroids six in the morning for 7 days and antibiotics , plus once I started eating all I could eat was toast and pasta .

My son is recovering well he spent his 35th birthday in hospital , we both fell in on my birthday , today is the first day that I have been feeling better , but I am depressed I feel so down . I had a row with my brother , I haven't had the jab as I have phobia so he sent me a message when I fell ill and said 'your lungs will fill with fluid and you will die ' so when i found it difficult to breath I thought I was going to die.
The ambulance took 10hours to reach my son and he almost died , then the same day i went into hospital , my husband took me to A&E and I collapsed in the queue , they took me straight through and i was put on a drip and oxygen , my blood sugar has been at its highest for 20 days or so 15. This morning it was 11.5 , hoping for lower tomorrow, but the nurse told me to not worry right now and that I need to start eating again because I have a long recovery as it was a very nasty infection.

The doctor at the hospital said even if I'd had the jab I would have got the virus this bad as it is just sometimes how it works, my husband had mild symptoms and so did my daughter in law and 9 year old grandson was negative .

I'm exhausted not sleeping good at all, and I am worried as i have like a camera flash in my left eye when I look at white wallpaper , I don't think it is anything , but it has stressed me out all day .

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time, @WackyJacky64 .
I agree with the nurse about not worrying about your hba1c right now, getting better, both with the steroids and needing to eat whatever you could simply came first.
Take it easy, onwards and upwards, and your next hba1c will be better than this one!

i have like a camera flash in my left eye when I look at white wallpaper , I don't think it is anything , but it has stressed me out all day .
What about contacting your doctor to ask if you should get this seen?

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I agree with the nurse about not worrying about your hba1c right now, getting better, both with the steroids and needing to eat whatever you could simply came first.
Take it easy, onwards and upwards, and your next hba1c will be better than this one!

Nobody there tomorrow now as its Saturday, it will stress me up all weekend now, but I hope it will be gone tomorrow , if it has gone then I will still ask the doctor on Monday to stop me stressing .

Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

When i think about it now , i had sensitivity to light for about three days , I think the left eye camera flash could be that , I hope so I get anxiety .

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years back my right eye used to flash, I can't remember how it started. The optometrist I went to at the time had a look and thought it was the retina becoming detached. When I saw the ophthalmologist the next day he said it was a infection in my eye, and he had caught it it time.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
A few years back my right eye used to flash, I can't remember how it started. The optometrist I went to at the time had a look and thought it was the retina becoming detached. When I saw the ophthalmologist the next day he said it was a infection in my eye, and he had caught it it time.
Its only there when I look at a white screen or wallpaper ,

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its only there when I look at a white screen or wallpaper ,
I really suggest you call the doctor out of hours tomorrow and get your vision checked. it could be an infection and needs checking as soon as possible.

I had long covid. It was very bad for about 10 months, but now, 18 months later, things seem to be back to normal-ish.

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I really suggest you call the doctor out of hours tomorrow and get your vision checked. it could be an infection and needs checking as soon as possible.

I had long covid. It was very bad for about 10 months, but now, 18 months later, things seem to be back to normal-ish.
If its an infection then the antibiotics would have cleared it up , I will see how it is tomorrow and go to the opticians ,

Hotpepper20000

If its an infection then the antibiotics would have cleared it up , I will see how it is tomorrow and go to the opticians ,
Specific Antibiotics have to be prescribed for different infections.
Even if you had antibiotics they wouldn’t necessarily cover all bacteria.
You need to get your eyes checked sooner then Monday.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry you have been ill :(

Just to clarify re the vaccine, you and your son have a phobia against vaccines? But a doctor told you both, that the vaccine would not have worked? I thought it was generally accepted that the vaccine reduces severity of COVID, not sure what I’ve been watching on tv for the past year. I am doubting the doctors opinion and think you sharing your awful story will act as inspiration for people to be vaccinated if they feel able.

Wish you better.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi, sorry you have been ill :(

Just to clarify re the vaccine, you and your son have a phobia against vaccines? But a doctor told you both, that the vaccine would not have worked? I thought it was generally accepted that the vaccine reduces severity of COVID, not sure what I’ve been watching on tv for the past year. I am doubting the doctors opinion and think you sharing your awful story will act as inspiration for people to be vaccinated if they feel able.

Wish you better.
Only i have phobia ,the virus hit us hard and yes the doctor said we would have been this ill even if we'd had the jab. I'm just saying what he told us both . there is myocarditis in my family my brother died aged 31 frm it back in 1994, so we are not confident with the jab. It's all I will say as I am really depressed right now .
I think if people want the jab they will have it, I respect their choice .

Last edited:

WackyJacky64

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
thank you ,i will do .
I went to the opticians they saw me straight away, what a blessing , the optician was from the hospital he does diabetic screening , I had the eye drops and full examination , he said my nerves are perfect and eyes healthy, he said the blob in the corner is the gel behind my eye formed and it will release and i will probably get another eye floater which is harmless, he said my left eye where the blob is , is a lazy eye ,i felt very blessed and this has put my mind at rest .
I can stop stressing now :)