freestyle libre sensors for T2 on nhs?

Gina698

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m disabled with mobility and dexterity issues due to cerebral palsy. I also take medication for depression and anxiety. I have had type 2 diabetes for a few years. I have tried numerous times to test myself with a finger prick test, but I just cannot do it due to my dexterity/cp. I tried the freestyle sensors for a few months and they were amazing and I learned a lot. Seeing and tracking the number helped me enormously to keep my numbers down and in control. However, I’m on benefits and unable work so cannot afford to use them as much as I feel I need to. I asked my diabetic nurse about getting them on prescription and she said I couldn’t get them that way. I tried to say knowing my numbers really helped my anxiety as well as keep my blood sugar under better control, but no. She could supply/prescribe the test strips for finger prick tests, but not the sensors.

Is there anyone with type 2 who has managed to get any sensors on prescription or at a discount? If so, how? Can I use my CP and mental health issues as arguments for why I need the sensors? Anyone know if I can say it’s an equality/access issue? Or would I be pushing it? How much of a fight would it be?

Thanks for your help

Gina

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wondered if a different finger pricker would be any help at all. It might be worth asking your nurse to give you a couple of different ones to try. Accu-check fastclix has a drum with 6 lancets in, which is wider than an individual lancet for example, so might be easier for you.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m sorry this is going to be unhelpful but it’s a crime if they don’t give you them on prescription, keep trying, best of luck.

M

Member496333

Sorry to hear about your problems. Some lancet devices come with an adapter more suited for piercing alternative sites elsewhere on the hand. Not sure if that might help. You wouldn’t need to be so accurate with the fingertip placement.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try getting the costs of them covered though your other benefits as a cost of your disability. You might have more luck that way through Social services than through NHS.
Still a fight probably but worth trying