Eating junk food and no sugar drinks

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
I have to stop eating junk food and be careful wat I'm eating also need to watch wat I drink I'm going to look after myself now start eating healthy and try loose weight.

I'm very tired all the time IV no energy left inside me I used to be able to go for walks all the time used to manage to climb my stairs as I'm in a flat loved to go cycling but that all thrown out the window don't know what has happen to me

Reactions: chani111

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm very tired all the time IV no energy left inside me
High blood sugars can make you feel very tired.
What are you doing to bring them down?
Many of our members have found that lowering their carbs lowers their blood glocose by a lot!
Another useful tool is a glucose meter, if you use it before eating and about two hours after it tells you if your diabetes can handle that meal. If you rise by a lot, you might want to adjust that meal next time to have fewer carbohydrates.

Please ask away on the forum if you have any questions!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be sure that you are eating nutritious foods, meat, fish and other seafood, eggs and cheese as a basic diet - they are essential foods.

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
Hiya thanks for that can I eat allbran bran flakes

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello and welcome to the forum,

I can remember how devastated I was when I was diagnosed. I thought it was the end of the world. I couldn't imagine a world without sugar consumption. and then I found this forum. I learned it was a lot more complicated and a lot more simple than no more sugar. it is carbs- all carbs white, brown how every they are all carbs. how much any individual can have is much more difficult. that is when it comes to the best tool to help you- a meter.

the first thing I learned was that I would need a meter. my doctor did not agree but the advice from this website was unanimous. and the advice was right. the meter is the tool that will tell you how different food is affecting you.

I went very low carb immediately and that brought my levels into the normal range. I did miss carbs at first and still have the occasional day where I miss them but generally I am fine- actually better than fine.

so my suggestion is to get a meter and test often and reduce your carbs. while meat fish eggs and cheese are all low carb it is possible (though a bit more challenging) to go low carb as a vegetarian or vegan.

what I found helpful when wanting to eat something specifically was to google keto snd the thing I wanted- eg keto custard or keto lasagne. this gave me a lot of help.

anyway- read around the forum and post. this place is full of amazing and helpful people who are very willing to offer advice, information and support.

good luck and welcome.

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
Hiya there thank u for Ur information how do I go about getting a meter and testing myself

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
can I eat allbran bran flakes

Hi Pam. Over recent years it's become much more widely understood that type 2 diabetes can be very well managed (and even beaten into remission) by adopting a low carbohydrate diet. It is carbs that our bodies most efficiently converts to sugar and dumps directly into our bloodstream, causing the high levels which are so damaging to health. Cutting as many carbs as possible from your diet reduces this effect and protects you from the associated complications.

I'm afraid that, despite its healthy reputation, All-Bran is very high in carbohydrate (like almost all breakfast cereals) and many here would avoid it. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

A much more helpful breakfast for a type 2 would be, say, a couple of boiled or scrambled eggs. These have almost zero carbohydrate and are likely to provoke almost no rise in your blood sugar levels.

This may seem overwhelming initially but these changes to your lifestyle don't have to happen all at once, you can take small steps as you learn and adapt, and posters here will help and support all they can.

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Best to avoid All-Bran flakes: they will probably raise your sugars a lot.
Try not to cereal if you can avoid it.
If you do choose to have at least some cereals look at the packing for Total carbs. I think you will find Weetabix is not too bad. I sometimes have just one if staying away but most of the time I have eggs and bacon. No-added sugar muesli isn't too bad but not a bowl full.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Well wat about porridge
Hi Pammy. Isn't t awful to be told that breakfast cereals are bad for diabetics (including porridge sadly)
But you CAN have a cooked breakfast such as sausage, bacon, eggs and tomato, or an omelette, or scrambled eggs etc .. minus the toast. Have you tried Greek yoghurt, with or without adding a few strawberries, or Raspberries ... as all berries are okay.

Reactions: zand

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
Well life stucks might as well eat bread water or just die lol joke

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
N
Yes it does at first but when you get used to your new diet you will look at others eating their cereals and wonder why they don't have something delicious and nutritious instead.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
As soon as you get the hang of this you will feel TONS better believe me! First thing you need is a little blood glucose meter. Mine is a Gluco Navii that came with a few test strips, and was under a tenner, but there are others to choose from. This is the BEST way to find which foods you can have. Read as much on here as possible especially the links to meters etc

Pammy27

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't eat goodies
But I'm dietebetic stage 2 don't need to take blood that for only stage 1 is it not

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a blood glucose meter as it helps me see which foods I need to avoid, which ones I can have a small portion of and which ones are fine for me personally.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
But I'm dietebetic stage 2 don't need to take blood that for only stage 1 is it not
According to your GP you are correct in thinking this. However, you will find that everyone on here has controlled their diabetic numbers from going up by testing before and then two hours after any meal that might cause high numbers. Otherwise how can you know if what you are eating is helping or hindering you beating this? If numbers aren't controlled then diabetes is progressing. Simple. I have got my number down in only seven weeks, from 67 or 68 to 37 which is none diabetic. I also lost 20lbs without going hungry! Carbs are our enemy as we are allergic to them, but you need to test to find which ones affect 'you' as we are all different

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 1 definitely need to test as low blood sugars HYPO is extremely dangerous. Type 2 like us suffer high blood sugars HYPER which is MUCH less dangerous short term. but long term extremely damaging to the body. we are told we don't need to test so that there is no necessity for the NHS to supply testing equipment and supplies. It's a cost cutting exercise. Granted it would cost the system a fortune, but in their eyes it's a risk worth taking. (For them)
I personally think ALL diabetics should have access to equipment and supplies for 6 to 12 months to be able to establish a diet plan that is known to be safe for each individual. we are all different and can tolerate different amounts of carbs at different times of the day. the easy approach is NO potatoes NO pasta No rice No bread, but by testing we each may find 1 or 2 potatoes is fine for us, another person could be in a carb coma (very sleepy) after the same amount.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
You might like to have a read of jokalsbeek's blod below, which is a really good introduction to T2 and a low carb diet.

JoKalsbeek's blog | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community

Did your doctor give you a number to go with your T2 diagnosis? (Typically they tell you your hba1c, and if it is more than 48 you are diabetic.)

If you tell us what sort of things you like to eat in a typical day then the T2s on here might be able to advise you on how to reduce the carbohydrate in your daily diet, hopefully while still keeping some of the things that you like to eat.

Reactions: KK123

chani111

I have to stop eating junk food and be careful wat I'm eating also need to watch wat I drink I'm going to look after myself now start eating healthy and try loose weight.

I'm very tired all the time IV no energy left inside me I used to be able to go for walks all the time used to manage to climb my stairs as I'm in a flat loved to go cycling but that all thrown out the window don't know what has happen to me

Welcome Pammy I am new to all of this too. Take your time it’s a lot to take on board. First steps yes cut out the junk food and see how much weight you want to loose. I got the nutracheck app and set it to record carbs as well as calories. I have been doing that for 2 weeks now and lost 4lbs but more importantly I am learning about what is high and low in carbs. It’s going to be a bit overwhelming at first so just try to learn a few things each day and it will begin to make sense in a while. Counting carbs will come. I got my blood glucose counter today I can see it’s going to be addictive to keep testing I got the contour next one which also has an app for recording your results. It is easy to use
Best of luck newby buddy