GD Freestyle libre sensor.

simply_h

Hi All,

Hope we are all fabulous on this Sunday morning. .

So anyone here wear the libre sensor long term.

If so how accurate are they with respect to daily readings and their long-term predictions of Hba1c compared to A traditional blood sugar monitor and a doctors blood test for Hba1c.

Regards
Simply.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are dozens of threads on the Libre. Check out the Search function at the top of the page

Regarding accuracy, it depends. You need to understand the limitations and when the sensors are most accurate.
Many of us with Type 1 diabetes who understand and accommodate these limitations are happy to use it to calculate insulin doses.

Regarding Hba1c, putting the accuracy of individual readings aside, Libre calculates Hba1c differently so the numbers will be different even if Libre was 100% accurate. But it is a good indication of trends.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In addition to the above comments (which I am in total agreement with) you might want to search for threads about the value of HbA1c. Some, me included, consider it to be an outdated measure. better than nothing when it was all there was, but now with Time in Range we can see far more precisely how well BG is managed.

Just my 2p worth.

simply_h

Hi all,

I just wanted to know how accurate the Hba1c side is on the libre sensor , compared to an hospital/GP Hba1c test result etc.

Regards
Simply

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I just wanted to know how accurate the Hba1c side is on the libre sensor , compared to an hospital/GP Hba1c test result etc.

Regards
Simply

Hi,

Speaking as a T1.from experience using them. my endo tends to only scrutinise the "times in range?"
Even he don't go a bundle on the A1c prediction. That's the lab's job on the blood works.

As a tool to achieve & steer my BGs within these parameters on a day to day basis. The Libre 2 is actually pretty good for me.
I've found my lab result consistently coming in around 15% lower than any prediction from either the Libre or my app used to log blood meter tests.. (I still carry my meter too.)

Hope this helps.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

Regards
Simply
Using 90 days of Libre data, it estimated my HbA1c to be 10 lower than the lab test came back with.
But we are all different. A friend had his within 1 of each other.

As I explained earlier, they are measuring different things so I do not trust the Libre estimate apart from to identify whether my diabetes management is improving or not but this requires you to use the Libre for long periods.

Last edited:

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Regards
Simply

Sorry for leaping to conclusions. As stated in other posts, the Libre estimate tends to be lower than lab for me. Although we recently I haven't paid much attention. I'm often halfway out the door from my endo meeting when she says "oh, by the way HbA1c was xxx".:)

Reactions: simply_h