Weight loss.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for reading as always.

Now coming into my fifth week of cutting carbs, my diet consists of above ground vegetables, meat, some dairy and an occasional wine. My treats are ground almond cupcakes or some very dark chocolate.
The first two to three weeks saw fairly rapid weight loss, I dropped from 90Kg to 85.6Kg. This morning I weighed in at 86,7 and it seems that the weight loss has stalled a tad. My ideal weight would be about 72 Kg, that will take some achieving I think I was about 16 when I last tipped the scales at that! :)

The weight loss, now I am achieving better control, is it, possibly, time to look at reducing portion sizes or do I need to start being more active to help burn calories/get the heart pumping a little? From my very limited knowledge, that may mean I could stay with my portion sizes as I am expending more energy - am I right thinking that?

I don't enjoy exercise/gym that much but I would consider a short term gym pass to allow me access to a local pool.

All the very best

Kev

Reactions: Trevor vP

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, well done so far. My experience is that there is rapid weight loss in the early stages of low-carb (for me this means ~20g carb/day). This loss then slows dramatically. It can sometimes plateau, and then resume. At times I lost size rather than weight. On average I seem to be losing (these days) around 5kg every six months. I have no idea what the pattern is within the six months because I don't weigh myself. I do low carb for blood sugar control and the weight loss is incidental. If this continues, at some point (in maybe two years?) I am going to have to work out how to stop losing any more weight while maintaining current BS levels.

For me portion size and calories etc are irrelevant and I would say are meaningless for me. Exercise (didn't do any extra) didn't and doesn't feature. Experiences may vary.

Reactions: pinkfoot

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kenny, good morning.

Ah, that makes sense to me now.

I have a telephone consult with the GP tomorrow to discuss progress and to see what steps I can take.

This forum has been instrumental in changing my lifestyle and diet, your posts along with @bulkbiker @ianf0ster @Jim Lahey and many others have made big differences to me and my outlook.

This is now a marathon, not a sprint, I’m starting to realise that quite quickly.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Kenny, good morning.

Ah, that makes sense to me now.

I have a telephone consult with the GP tomorrow to discuss progress and to see what steps I can take.

This forum has been instrumental in changing my lifestyle and diet, your posts along with @bulkbiker @ianf0ster @Jim Lahey and many others have made big differences to me and my outlook.

This is now a marathon, not a sprint, I’m starting to realise that quite quickly.
Good luck. East Lancs isn't too far away from where I'm based. We have a low-carb group in Skipton (also on Fbook) that is hoping to get restarted soon - you might be interested.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck. East Lancs isn't too far away from where I'm based. We have a low-carb group in Skipton (also on Fbook) that is hoping to get restarted soon - you might be interested.
Now in Liverpool!

East Lancs was my birthplace and then moved to Over Wyre.

ATB

Reactions: KennyA

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that just going out for a long walk is the best sort of exercise I can do to burn fat - I do find the term 'weightloss' problematic.
When dehydrated, I weigh less - but it has not changed my fat content.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could consider starting to drop the odd meal, or at least lenghten the time between meals
Depends how your appetite and tastes have changed

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I started lowering my fats and focusing on protein, not measuring, just choosing leaner cuts of meat. I also cut added fats. I also quit snacking as much between meals.

im pretty sure this has put me in a slight calorie deficit.
I agree a nice walk helps too

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Swimming, @pinkfoot . Talking my language. Through regular pool based exercise I do control weight, somewhat. No that exercise makes me lose weight. After all, muscle weighs morethan fat. What I found when there was no access to swimmingpools during 18 months of lockdowns and the need for me to shield, due to health conditions, is that I did gain weight. Probably due to eating more frequently and larger portions, though still low carb.
When I am going to the swimming pool for regular work outs, I know I eat less, because it is not safe or comfortable to swim if too full of food.

A month back into swimming and gradual increase in intensity and number of sessions andI am feeling so much more in control. Eating less, and starting to lose weight again. (The lockdown lard).
I have also tweaked my diet, so I have less fat and more protein, eating two meals a day, and no snacking. I do keep in mind that you can’t ameliorate a bad diet by exercising more. I have seen people using machines in the gym that calculate calories used who then think it is ok to go and eat a choc chip muffin for the same calorie value. It doesn’t work that way.

My way of eating is for optimal nutrition, the swimming and pool exercise is to stave off the muscle loss that comes with age, and to provide an exercise that doesn’t damage my already worn out joints. Also the euphoria of being able to move more freely and comfortably in water than I am able to on land.

M

Member496333

I started lowering my fats and focusing on protein, not measuring, just choosing leaner cuts of meat. I also cut added fats. I also quit snacking as much between meals.

im pretty sure this has put me in a slight calorie deficit.
I agree a nice walk helps too

I have come to believe that snacking is one of the most insidious things you can do to your metabolism. Even if it’s just on fat and protein you are still promoting regular periods of insulin secretion which puts the body into energy storage mode. At every step of my journey I have always had markedly better outcomes eating large whole meals with bigger gaps between them. Snacking on absolutely anything is suboptimal, in my opinion. Obviously it’s not going to kill anyone necessarily but it may result in some mysterious missteps for those who are still trying to make incremental improvements to their health.

As an aside I have found that coffee can promote snacking because of the sometimes bitter aftertaste it can leave in the mouth.

Reactions: MrsA2

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Folks, my apologies for not replying sooner, I work as a HGV driver and I've been on my shifts.. I do hope my lack of response hasn't offended.

@LaoDan Sir, thank you for the information, I watch your posts with interest as I feel we have been down a similar path, you do have much more energy than I when it comes to exercise though.

@Pipp Yes!!! My best weight control came when I was helping out at a Scuba Club, I was 78 Kilo and felt like I could take on the earth, maybe I need to get back to that and keep up my Rescue Diver cert.

@Jim Lahey Blimey, think you've hit the nail on the head there Jim. I love a coffee in the morning (normally about 04:00 before |I head in to work) after that, I don't touch one. Sitting in a wagon for 12 hours or more can lead to some uncomfortable experiences. My whole life 'USED' to revolve around what I was going to eat next. I would munch on any old ****, crisps, chocolate, whatever. Now, I have something with my Vitamins in the morning about 04:00 (with said coffee), next food is about 11:00 or whenever I get to pull up. Last meal is about 17:00 or there abouts and it has changed me. I get in the house absolutely ravenous at times, but, my BG is fine.. It has been a big learning curve, I will say now, I will not go back to the old me, being off the meds and controlling things with diet has left me feeling brilliant.

Cheers all,

Kev

Reactions: SuNuman