Guardian article: Food Myths Busted

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good link: it's nice to get some competing information out there, and I'm doubly glad to see this in "The Grauniad".

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting article.
Disappointed that they think most people who eat 5 a day fruit and veg do so with fruit. That is not my experience amongst friends and family who are not into sweet things so eat primarily veg. This time of year is brilliant with great variety of squash - I have pattypan, onion squash, gem squash and courgettes on the menu for this week.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Someone is gonna get sacked. This is a U turn of monumental proportion for this publication, they usually go down the anti-meat route, how did this get through the editing team. I am still in shock. I think this article was written by @bulkbiker, or @Jim Lahey and foisted on the journalist under duress, maybe my alter-ego did something in the night.

An article in a mainstream paper that reports accurately and truthfully about meat, dairy, eggs and salt in 2021...I have PDF'ed this gem as it is likely to get pulled. I will wake up shortly.

M

Member496333

Someone is gonna get sacked. This is a U turn of monumental proportion for this publication, they usually go down the anti-meat route, how did this get through the editing team. I am still in shock. I think this article was written by @bulkbiker, or @Jim Lahey and foisted on the journalist under duress, maybe my alter-ego did something in the night.

An article in a mainstream paper that reports accurately and truthfully about meat, dairy, eggs and salt in 2021...I have PDF'ed this gem as it is likely to get pulled. I will wake up shortly.

Probably just the annual let’s confuse everyone article. Normal service will be resumed shortly.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting article.
Disappointed that they think most people who eat 5 a day fruit and veg do so with fruit. That is not my experience amongst friends and family who are not into sweet things so eat primarily veg. This time of year is brilliant with great variety of squash - I have pattypan, onion squash, gem squash and courgettes on the menu for this week.
Did you notice this?
Two of the most fashionable vegetables at the moment are sweet potatoes and squash, both of which are as sugary as sweet fruit.
Sweet potatoes yes, but surely not squash. Otherwise an excellent article, let's hope the Daily Mail doesn't say the exact opposite tomorrow.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did you notice this?
Two of the most fashionable vegetables at the moment are sweet potatoes and squash, both of which are as sugary as sweet fruit.
Sweet potatoes yes, but surely not squash. Otherwise an excellent article, let's hope the Daily Mail doesn't say the exact opposite tomorrow.
I thought that about squash, even had some yesterday. But the shock of the thrust of the article really got me.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that about squash, even had some yesterday. But the shock of the thrust of the article really got me.
Well, it seems some squash is more problematic than others: https://ketowithconfidence.com/is-squash-keto/

Few searches do seem to indicate some squash is higher carb than others, whether it is close to sweet fruit.. Well, depends on the comparisons of what to what I guess

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

The author of the article, Joanna Blythman, is a well-known advocate for the LCHF WOE. I say this not to debunk the article or the author, but like other articles I have commented on in the past, I have to warn of possible bias in the editorial content.

The studies are not fully referenced, but I think I have seen most of them in my travels, and yes, they do support the claims in the article. I will try to identify these studies, and post links to the reports where I can,
Starting:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._a_contribution_to_the_Nordic_diet_discussion

As regards meat consumption again this is mainly editorial with no studies identified. So I add one that seems to support her claims in part.
https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1741-7015-11-63

The comment she makes regarding the 5 a day is not apparently based on a research paper and seems to be editorial. I am blocked from reading the Grauniad article due to their paywall, but here is another blog post from the author on this meeting
https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/04/the-perfect-five-a-day/
Edit: the blog is by a different nutritionist also well known by LCHF followers.

As regards salt there is a reference which I copy here
https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/9/3232
Also found this one on salt
https://bmccardiovascdisord.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12872-018-0927-9

On grains and starch here is a link to the Pure study which she quotes
https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.m4948

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My take is that the vegans must have missed a bribery payment..

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The author is not a vegan anymore and states in various articles that being vegan damaged her health, which is why she stopped.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, it seems some squash is more problematic than others: https://ketowithconfidence.com/is-squash-keto/

Few searches do seem to indicate some squash is higher carb than others, whether it is close to sweet fruit.. Well, depends on the comparisons of what to what I guess
Interesting article. This is my meal from yesterday. Butternut squash is what I have as well as carrots (which might be the reason why my A1c is high / normal, whilst fbg is in the 4's and 1 7 max variance). The family gave up potatoes so meals are easier for us this way. As a 4 year plus experiment I am happy with the test results which individuals can test for their own regime.

20210926_150121.jpg

Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you notice this?

Hi,
Yeah, saw that.
"Fashionable vegetables?" Lol, more like they happen to just be in season for the time of year.. ;)

& yep, I wondered that about the comment on squash. My bolus insulin working profile works with it.

Unlike spuds. Which I gave up on..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I accidentally ate a chip with my shop bought cooked cod and it was actually quite nasty. I can't see the attraction of potatoes.
There is a doctor posting on Twitter who claims that more than half of his patients with heart problems have below average cholesterol levels - but points out that if he was found out, he'd lose his job.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a doctor posting on Twitter who claims that more than half of his patients with heart problems have below average cholesterol levels - but points out that if he was found out, he'd lose his job.

There is an ex heart surgeon named Dr. Dwight Lundell who is living proof that your doctor is correct. He said that in 25 years of heart surgery he was yet to find that cholesterol was the cause of the problem. He was struck off. It's true that he had other problems in his career like bankruptcy etc. but he maintains his anti cholesterol stance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is an ex heart surgeon named Dr. Dwight Lundell who is living proof that your doctor is correct. He said that in 25 years of heart surgery he was yet to find that cholesterol was the cause of the problem. He was struck off. It's true that he had other problems in his career like bankruptcy etc. but he maintains his anti cholesterol stance.
Insurance actuaries put up the premiums for those on statins - they know the numbers and trust them to calculate life expectancy.
Sooner or later, a new hypothesis will have to be tried out, because so many people are being treated for something which is not a disease.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
All,

As @Antje77 said please keep this on topic. The statin discussions are interesting but another thread would be better