Type 1 How much long-acting insulin do you take?

siriusblack

Since diagnosis, I have been on sixteen units of Tresiba/Degludec at nine pm (I switched to seven pm half way through but this had no effect). Recently I’ve been having some high blood sugar issues and they suggested I up my Tresiba dose but I feel like sixteen is already a lot? I was just curious as to how much other people are taking and if this is a lot already! :)

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @siriusblack, we're all different so the amount of basal we need will be different, and the amount you need is the amount you need.
That said, I don't take any long-acting insulin as I have a pump, but my basal is 28 units.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take a total of 16 units of lantus and very small amounts of novarapid. I'm on very small amounts of insulin compared to most people.

Reactions: siriusblack

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Since diagnosis, I have been on sixteen units of Tresiba/Degludec at nine pm (I switched to seven pm half way through but this had no effect). Recently I’ve been having some high blood sugar issues and they suggested I up my Tresiba dose but I feel like sixteen is already a lot? I was just curious as to how much other people are taking and if this is a lot already! :)
There are people who need less than 10 units of basal insulin and there are people who need more than 400 units.
You need what you need, it doesn't matter how much.

But to answer your question, I currently use 114 units of Tresiba, which is more than average, and it works very good for me so I'm happy with my dose!

Gafspa

When I was first diagnosed I was on 16 units- as my pancreas has stopped working this has gradually gone up and up currently taking 32 units but it’ll go back down next week as I’m on my period.

I often have adjust during month as I need more when ovulating too….

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I take 8 units of Levemir a day in a split dose: 4 units on waking and 4 units at bedtime.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 40u of Tresiba every morning and varying amounts of Novorapid at mealtimes (depending upon what carbs I might be eationg and what my bood sugar might be at the time).

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Levimir 24 units split equally am and pm ! But as others have said can’t really compare between each other ! As long as blood sugar numbers are ok then amount doesn’t really matter

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba 61/2 units. 7 too much. 6 not enough. Why are you worried that you may need to increase? You need what you need.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 units Levemir - 10 morning and 10 at night.

... my worry with having too much insulin would be having type 1 and type 2 because insulin is too high ... but don't expect that on low carb :) ... but agree you need what you need and comparisons are not necessarily very helpful ;)

Last edited:

Torty1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm T2 on basal and bolus. I'm now taking 96 units of Tresiba and Humalog is going up too. It makes no sense at all. Nothing has changed in my diet and I'm now so fed up with it all. My Hba1c has gone up from 53 to 69!

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T2 on basal and bolus. I'm now taking 96 units of Tresiba and Humalog is going up too. It makes no sense at all. Nothing has changed in my diet and I'm now so fed up with it all. My Hba1c has gone up from 53 to 69!
A bit off topic but ...
high insulin for long time => insulin resistance => increasing blood glucose for same insulin => increase insulin => return to start ...

Unfortunately I think you need to break the cycle which is not easy :(

Some combination of low carb and time restricted eating may help ... but you need to reduce the insulin and keep a close eye on blood glucose levels.
What have your medical support team suggested ?