Pump Choice for DIY Closed Loop with Libre

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not sure if I'm just not looking in the right way or the right places, but I can't find the answer to my current conundrum, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to help, please.

I currently use a Libre 1 + Blucon Nightrider + xDrip+ to make a CGM system, and I've also been using a pump for 14 years or so. I'm now being offered a choice of four new pumps to replace my current one which has come to the end of its warranty period. I'm thinking I'd like to turn the setup into a closed-loop system if possible, so I need to know if any of the pumps on offer are compatible with my CGM setup.

The pumps available are:
  • YpsoPump
  • Tandem T-Slim
  • Medtronic 780G
  • Medtronic 640G (see below)
  • Medtrum TouchCare Nano
Can I get xDrip+ to talk to any of these? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I've just been told by Medtronic that I can continue to use my current 640G. They supplied it to me only a few months ago, just inside the warranty period. It seems daft to me to dispose of such advanced tech in an age when we all have to consume less. So I asked the question.

Last edited:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Come and have a look at android aaps on Facebook or twitter. None of those pumps will close loop but it might be worth having a conversation and pushing for a Dana pump which will close the loop with xdrip.

Good luck!

Reactions: Colin of Kent

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I'm not sure if I'm just not looking in the right way or the right places, but I can't find the answer to my current conundrum, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to help, please.

I currently use a Libre 1 + Blucon Nightrider + xDrip+ to make a CGM system, and I've also been using a pump for 14 years or so. I'm now being offered a choice of four new pumps to replace my current one which has come to the end of its warranty period. I'm thinking I'd like to turn the setup into a closed-loop system if possible, so I need to know if any of the pumps on offer are compatible with my CGM setup.

The pumps available are:
  • YpsoPump
  • Tandem T-Slim
  • Medtronic 780G
  • Medtronic 640G (see below)
  • Medtrum TouchCare Nano
Can I get xDrip+ to talk to any of these? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I've just been told by Medtronic that I can continue to use my current 640G. They supplied it to me only a few months ago, just inside the warranty period. It seems daft to me to dispose of such advanced tech in an age when we all have to consume less. So I asked the question.
I have read somewhere that the tandem will likely work with the new libre3 in the future. But will be quite a while before uk gets it

Reactions: Colin of Kent

RTI

I guess that Freestyle Libre3 will be available in UK (hopefully next year, dependent NHS). This will be another full CGM available for closed loop solution. Abott is actively working/testing on closed loop solution with many accessible pumps, especially with Tandem and Omnipod.I guess that OMNIPOD will introduce a new pod OMNIPOD Horizon (hopefully also next year in UK, dependent NHS). I guess in the following 12-24 month we will see many more closed loop solutions upcoming. Also dependent on the NHS.