Does Low Carb Cause Hair Loss?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @HSSS, it's ok, I'm not panicking, I've had it for a few years now & I certainly won't be changing my diet if LC adds to it.

@Jayne1983, well done on your weight loss. :cool: I hope you get the answer when you see your Dr.
I think you misunderstood a little. ANY change of diet, in any direction, can cause a temporary loss if it’s abrupt or drastic. It’s about a shock to your system not low carb per se. So that’s not a reason to avoid low carb to control diabetes. It is a reason to perhaps work into it a little more gradually. Most people don’t suffer from it when going low carb. And if you have suffered hair loss for years it sounds like there’s a very different cause for yours.

Reactions: jessj

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had some hair loss the same time as I had some other symptoms of diabetes which might have been related to high blood sugars.

Insulin resistance can also cause hair loss in some people. The hair works on 3-6 months cycles so usually a delayed response so if your blood sugars are fine then it might improve soon.

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Can I ask u a question? Does your hair fall out on lchf I’ve been on it Minch March and every time I wash it it falls out is this ment to happen
Hi everyone thanks for getting back to me so today I went to take my Apple cider vinegar and when I was looking at the box I seen it had chromium in them so I googled it and it says side effects mood changes and head ache and I’ve had that the past month I’ve only been on them a month. Well this type and it also says chromium causes hair loss so I think it could be these I normally just buy Holland and Barrett’s make. But seen these on offer on Amazon. I will ask the doctor what he thinks but for now I’m not taken them xx

danziger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair seems to have thinned a bit as carbs have reduced; hopefully temporarily but will look into B vitamins/mineral deficiencies if not.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hair has become thicker and grows very quickly rather than thinner. A part from that, there hasn't been any changes, since losing weight and low carbing 8 yrs ago. Hair lose could be due to other medical condition.
Well done in your weight lose

D

Deleted member 543160

High blood glucose levels can also cause hair loss. My hair thickened up nicely once I got my blood glucose under control!
I actually noticed minor problems with both my hair and my nails when I ended up on a rather too high carb diet prior to diagnosis, but in retrospect I think it was probably due to not getting enough protein. Things improved when my diet did after I started low carb.

Reactions: Mike d